W.S. Straker

ex cavator

i recently bought this old bottle. embossed on the front it reads W.S.STRAKER ANCHOLME YARD BRIGG AND SHEFFIELD does anyone have any information on this company !

i recently bought this old bottle. embossed on the front it reads W.S.STRAKER ANCHOLME YARD BRIGG AND SHEFFIELD does anyone have any information on this company !

William S. Straker was a coal merchant from 78 Leader Road, Hillsborough in 1911-1911. Any further information gratefully received whilst I'm away in the wilds of Scotland for a wwek with my Wife/Sister/Brother in law.

William S. Straker was a coal merchant from 78 Leader Road, Hillsborough in 1911-1911. Any further information gratefully received whilst I'm away in the wilds of Scotland for a wwek with my Wife/Sister/Brother in law.

thanks for that richard ! wondering why a coal merchant would have his name on the bottle ? :unsure:

thanks for that richard ! wondering why a coal merchant would have his name on the bottle ? :unsure:

That would be the $64,000 question ...

Guest skeets

HI ex cavator l have the same question re; an old bottle with a ship inside it do you collect bottles as a hobby, heres mine

[i hope]

Guest skeets

same question to this bottle

Guest kingtyson

The wording on the bottle refers to William Smales Straker (born 1845, Thorngumbald, E. Yorkshire - parents Thomas Straker and Margaret Smales). He had a mineral water manufacturing co. at Elwes Rd., Brigg in the mid 1890s.

Brigg lies on the river Ancholme in the Vale of Ancholme, North Lincolnshire.

Around 1900 he moved his (by then) considerable clan to Sheffield.

He later ended up as a coal merchant at 78 Leader Rd, Hillsborough - where he died in 1924, aged 78 (a year after his wife Sarah, had died, aged 68).

The embossed wording may commemorate his move from Brigg to Sheffield or, perhaps, he had companies in both places at the time (although in 1901 he was a furniture dealer at 467 Attercliffe Common, Sheffield).

Guest skeets

This old bottle with the ship inside has 500 in raised letters on the bottom does this give a clue to anyone skeets