DaveH

Hollinsend Recreation Ground

On 2009-6-17 at 19:04, DaveH said:

Pleased that you enjoyed the post Touche.

The replies I have received have helped me remember extra bits I thought I had forgotten, like the shelter near the playground and the drinking fountain near the pavilion. There are still 2 bowling greens, the "one higher than the other" is visible in several of my pictures as it is more open. The other is directly in front of the pavillion and appears in one of my pictures. it is difficult to get to as it is fully fenced off. Obviously the "best" competition standard crown green, the other higher one being a second green for friendly matches and practice.

I don't know anything about a plaque to a former headmaster at all and know nothing of the story even though I do through my son have a connection with the school. If you let me know more accurately where this memorial was I will take a look a for it, and if possible a photo to post here, next time I go down.

I hope to be doing a few more of these "park tours" in this area of Sheffield to add a bit of interested to the newly started A -Z of Sheffield Parks. I am hoping that this will encourage other members in other areas of the City to do the same for other parks.

100_1911.jpg

This is Miss Metcalfe my teacher in 1957,she is on grass area between portable classrooms.

On 16/06/2017 at 20:50, jackanne said:

This is Miss Metcalfe my teacher in 1957,she is on grass area between portable classrooms.

I was there for a short period in Miss Metcalfes class, I failed the eleven Plus and then went on to Hurlfield S M boys. (1958) I remember Keith White, Martin Oakes, Peter Challans and Ernest Booth who all come to mind. I have some great memories of Hollinsend Park, 25 a side football, the Park was always kept immaculate and a pleasure to be in.

Back in the 1960s there was a large open fronted wooden hut on the area at the top of the steps.  It had a bench round the interior of the hut, never much used as it was always a dark place.