Hollinsend Recreation Ground

DaveH

18 hours ago, jackanne said:

Hi. I remember Bob Lancaster and where he lived,Norman and Jack Warhurst also lived in the same terrace of houses,Jack was the well known road walker who was in the olympics.

Hi,

That's right. Somebody posted a clip on the forum from the Star about Jack Warhurst after he'd been in the Commonwealth Games in New Zealand. I once heard a story that Jack entered the Star Walk as a bet and he never looked back!

Cheers, Wazzie Worrall

Hi Paul,

I don' t think the photos would be much good ( even if I had the technology ) . They are just of  York, with some pupils in the background, but not clear enough to identify individuals i'm afraid. I remember those names as well, I used to hang around with Mick Hartley. Also sadly remember Susan Parsons accident. A Gleadless County school page would be great. Any ideas what is going to happen to the old building? The prefab buildings at the rear have been demolished and it would be a shame to see the main building go as well. I understand that the police sometimes use it for training their search dogs.

Cheers , Bob

21 hours ago, BobN said:

Hi Paul,

I don' t think the photos would be much good ( even if I had the technology ) . They are just of  York, with some pupils in the background, but not clear enough to identify individuals i'm afraid. I remember those names as well, I used to hang around with Mick Hartley. Also sadly remember Susan Parsons accident. A Gleadless County school page would be great. Any ideas what is going to happen to the old building? The prefab buildings at the rear have been demolished and it would be a shame to see the main building go as well. I understand that the police sometimes use it for training their search dogs.

Cheers , Bob

Hi Bob,

I didn't know that the old school wasn't used any more. I've not been anywhere near for years. I can't imagine the old building could be demolished, I would have thought it was listed, old sandstone buildings often are. I'm going to start a Gleadless P.Sch in the schools section right now, will you please put a posting on when you have a minute?

Cheers, Wazzie

Hi Bob,

Two more J4 names have come to mind - John Pursehouse and Philip Downing. Both these lads lived on Ridgehill Avenue and I think they both went on to City Grammar School which at that time was still located on Leopold Street in the Education Office complex. They both also had younger sisters and I think John Pursehouse sister went to High Storrs, but she'd be a few years young than us and at that time the school was still split in separate boys and girls schools. I don't remember ever having a class photo taken at Gleadless P.Sch, Mr Pulford or was it Fulford used to come and take individual photos of the kids but never a whole class picture? Where are all these people now?

Cheers, Wazzie

Hi Paul,

I remember John Pursehouse. It was Fulford photographers who used to take the individual photos each year, but as you said, never a class photo.

Cheers,   Bob

• Like 1

Now there's a name from my past. Mr. Fulford (Christian name forgotten) lived on the other side of Gleadless Avenue from us, on the corner of, er, would it be Gleadless Drive? Dad used to get his films developed and printed there until he got a colour-slide Voigtlander camera - but by then I was the proud owner of a Kodak Brownie 127 and I used to take my (eight-exposure) films over to Mr. Fulford. I remember him showing me the dark room, and a whacking great wheel thing which, I think, put the gloss of the finished photos.

Hi Athy,

I also had a Brownie 127 - you could take ghost pistures with it by holding it very still, taking a frame with x2 people in it, removing x1 person and taking another frame before winding on. I had some ghost pictures which were taken in Gleadless Church yard, I've no idea what happened to them or the 127!

Bob Nutton and I have started a Gleadless Primary School page in the school section of the forum. Bob mentions mentions Mr Fulford because when we were at Gleadless PS, he used to come and take our pictures. Unfortunately there were never any class photos taken. I bet his darkroom was a treat? Things were beginning to change in film processing around the mid-60's, but I bet Mr Fulford was old school?

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall

Hello again, I somehow couldn't get back on the forum (I don't think I was banned) a year or so ago but have now succeeded in clambering back on board. Mr. Fulford's dark room I have only vbague memories of now. Fairly small I'd say, dark (!), an demitted a distinct aroma which was, I guess, the smell of he chemicals which he used.

It occurs to me, if a photographer took a 10-year old boy on his own into his dark room these days, I don't think it would be well thought of!  People ar esometimes too suspicious; Mr. Fulford certainly did not do anything wrong, he just explained the workings of the equipment to me. My Mum and Dad knew I was there and were not worried.

• Like 1

Wazzie, apart from the chemical smell I have remembered another detail of th edark room. The last process when printing the snaps wa sto put gloss on them. This was done by feeding each one through a contraption which had a shiny metal cylinder, which turned v-e-r--y s-l-o-w-l-y, certainly for an impatient young boy who was eagerly awaiting his finished photos.

18 hours ago, Athy said:

Wazzie, apart from the chemical smell I have remembered another detail of th edark room. The last process when printing the snaps wa sto put gloss on them. This was done by feeding each one through a contraption which had a shiny metal cylinder, which turned v-e-r--y s-l-o-w-l-y, certainly for an impatient young boy who was eagerly awaiting his finished photos.

Hi Athy,

How things have changed. I have a vague memory of developing tanks, Unitol(?) and the smell. The whole process was so time consuming, it's a wonder anything ever got done!

Cheers,

Wazzie

1 minute ago, Paul Worrall said:

Hi Athy,

How things have changed. I have a vague memory of developing tanks, Unitol(?) and the smell. The whole process was so time consuming, it's a wonder anything ever got done!

Cheers,

Wazzie

\Well, most films had only 8 or 12 exposures, which speeded (sped?) things up a bit.

On 16/06/2009 at 19:13, jiginc said:

I can remember there being four prefab type buildings behind the old school building. When I first went in 1949 they were used as classrooms but later at least one was the dinning room.

jiginc

Well, sort of. Each "prefab" had two classrooms with a cloakroom in between. Because of shortage of space in the main building, each lunchtime two ladies used to push our food, in metal containers, up to the prefab and set up stall on a table placed across the entrance of the cloakroom. We'd collect our meals and then go back into our classroom and eat at our desks. This was 1960-ish when I was in Mr. Iossen's class.

I remember Mr. Spir, and his then-teenage son Barry who used to come and help out with games from time to time. I also remember visiting the school a few years after I had left, and hearing the sad news of Mr. Spir's death.

And finally...I never heardv the park called Hollinsend anything - in my family it was just "Gleadless Park".However, I've just remembered that local children used to talk about "the old rec" and "the new rec", "rec" being short for "recreation ground". Now, The Old Rec was, from memory, off Gleadless Common, with its entrance on the right-hand side as you walked uphill. I wonder if the "New Rec" was Hollinsend Park.

• Like 1