Hollinsend Recreation Ground

DaveH

On 2009-6-17 at 19:04, DaveH said:

Pleased that you enjoyed the post Touche.

The replies I have received have helped me remember extra bits I thought I had forgotten, like the shelter near the playground and the drinking fountain near the pavilion. There are still 2 bowling greens, the "one higher than the other" is visible in several of my pictures as it is more open. The other is directly in front of the pavillion and appears in one of my pictures. it is difficult to get to as it is fully fenced off. Obviously the "best" competition standard crown green, the other higher one being a second green for friendly matches and practice.

I don't know anything about a plaque to a former headmaster at all and know nothing of the story even though I do through my son have a connection with the school. If you let me know more accurately where this memorial was I will take a look a for it, and if possible a photo to post here, next time I go down.

I hope to be doing a few more of these "park tours" in this area of Sheffield to add a bit of interested to the newly started A -Z of Sheffield Parks. I am hoping that this will encourage other members in other areas of the City to do the same for other parks.

100_1911.jpg

This is Miss Metcalfe my teacher in 1957,she is on grass area between portable classrooms.

On 16/06/2017 at 20:50, jackanne said:

This is Miss Metcalfe my teacher in 1957,she is on grass area between portable classrooms.

I was there for a short period in Miss Metcalfes class, I failed the eleven Plus and then went on to Hurlfield S M boys. (1958) I remember Keith White, Martin Oakes, Peter Challans and Ernest Booth who all come to mind. I have some great memories of Hollinsend Park, 25 a side football, the Park was always kept immaculate and a pleasure to be in.

Back in the 1960s there was a large open fronted wooden hut on the area at the top of the steps.  It had a bench round the interior of the hut, never much used as it was always a dark place.

I grew up on Ridgehill Ave leaving in 1966 when I was 14. Hollinsend Rec was our local park, an all year round venue. I remember the Whit Sunday parade and also have a vague memory of a fun day, with a clown and other entertainment. The park keeper (parky) in those days was Jack Metcalfe, a pleasent chap who knew most of our names. Every evening at dusk the parky would blow his whistle, clearing the park before locking the gates to the main park and play ground. The park buildings were all painted Sheffield green, a paint source which found it's way to various houses around the city! The large wooden hut in the play ground was open at the front, so once we knew the parky had gone home we would climb over the fence and use it as our den. I have a broken front tooth which is a result of an accident in the play ground. I was climbing on the front of the cast iron rocking horse when my pal Timmy Brammer jumped on at the back causing the head to fly up and clout me in the mouth!  

I attended Gleadless County School and the headteacher at that time was Mr Jack Spur. Our teacher in the top juniors was Mr Dyson and I also remember Barbara Metcalfe who was the other top junior teacher. She used to take us swimming to Park Baths on City Road. I remember Mr Spur passing away when we were in the early years at Hurlfield but I can't remeber the circumstances of his death. In those days the school was only on one side of Hollisend Road, the new buildings on the other side of the road were added later. 

My brother John passed away in 2004 and so we scattered his ashes in the long grass by the little stream. I was surprised to see that the stream had almost dried up, when we were kids it was quite fast flowing and was full of frogs and tiny fresh water shrimps.

Wonderful childhood memories of a much loved park!

Wazzie Worrall

• Like 2

I was in Mr Dysons class at Gleadless County School at the same time as Paul Worrall, and remember the school sports days being held in Hollinsend Park, and the bus trips to Park swimming baths. Also the Whitsuntide Sunday School sings ending  in the park after parading round the streets. Happy days!

On 21/04/2019 at 12:00, Paul Worrall said:

I grew up on Ridgehill Ave leaving in 1966 when I was 14. Hollinsend Rec was our local park, an all year round venue. I remember the Whit Sunday parade and also have a vague memory of a fun day, with a clown and other entertainment. The park keeper (parky) in those days was Jack Metcalfe, a pleasent chap who knew most of our names. Every evening at dusk the parky would blow his whistle, clearing the park before locking the gates to the main park and play ground. The park buildings were all painted Sheffield green, a paint source which found it's way to various houses around the city! The large wooden hut in the play ground was open at the front, so once we knew the parky had gone home we would climb over the fence and use it as our den. I have a broken front tooth which is a result of an accident in the play ground. I was climbing on the front of the cast iron rocking horse when my pal Timmy Brammer jumped on at the back causing the head to fly up and clout me in the mouth!  

I attended Gleadless County School and the headteacher at that time was Mr Jack Spur. Our teacher in the top juniors was Mr Dyson and I also remember Barbara Metcalfe who was the other top junior teacher. She used to take us swimming to Park Baths on City Road. I remember Mr Spur passing away when we were in the early years at Hurlfield but I can't remeber the circumstances of his death. In those days the school was only on one side of Hollisend Road, the new buildings on the other side of the road were added later. 

My brother John passed away in 2004 and so we scattered his ashes in the long grass by the little stream. I was surprised to see that the stream had almost dried up, when we were kids it was quite fast flowing and was full of frogs and tiny fresh water shrimps.

Wonderful childhood memories of a much loved park!

Wazzie Worrall

Hi Paul, as far as I remember I think Mr Spur was knocked down and killed by a car on Hollinsend Road. By the way, the park was brilliant! 

Hollinsend Park.jpg

• Like 1

Mr Iossens class was in the pre-fab buildings at the back, Mr Dysons class was upstairs in the old building. I understood that Mr Spur was killed in a car crash.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2019 at 15:04, BobN said:

I was in Mr Dysons class at Gleadless County School at the same time as Paul Worrall, and remember the school sports days being held in Hollinsend Park, and the bus trips to Park swimming baths. Also the Whitsuntide Sunday School sings ending  in the park after parading round the streets. Happy days!

Hi Bob,

Are you Robert Nutton, who then went on to high Storrs? If yes, I remember you we went out on bikes together a couple of time, Graves Park/Coal Aston - Ford?

There was also a Robert Pratt and Robert Thorpe in Mr Dyson's class.

Cheers, Paul 'Wazzie' Worrall

On 15/05/2019 at 08:57, BobN said:

Mr Iossens class was in the pre-fab buildings at the back, Mr Dysons class was upstairs in the old building. I understood that Mr Spur was killed in a car crash.

Hi again Bob,

I also heard that Mr Spur was killed in a car crash, I would say around 1964 when I was at Hurlfield. However I got a posting from another member who said that Mr Spur was knocked down and killed on Hollinsend Rd. I also have a vague memory of of being told that Mr Spur was involved in an earlier road accident.

Mr Dyson had a daughter called Jane who went to High Storrs from 1963-70.

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall

On 14/05/2019 at 21:09, Arif said:

Hi Paul, as far as I remember I think Mr Spur was knocked down and killed by a car on Hollinsend Road. By the way, the park was brilliant! 

Hollinsend Park.jpg

Hi Arif,

That's a lovely picture of the park. It's taken from the path which leads from the entrance at the side of Gleadless Church, the opposite side of Ridgeway Road to the Graves Trust Houses and shops. It's  interesting that you mention that Mr Spur was killed on Hollisend Rd. I heard that he was killed in a car crash around 1964.

Cheers, Wazzie Worrall

• Like 1

On 13/05/2019 at 23:08, Athy said:

I don't remember Mr. Dyson, though I was at GCS about three years before you. Not Mr. Iossen?

Hi Athy,

Wasn't that teacher called Mr Ireson, he was the deputy head, when he left Mr Dyson took over his role? There was also a Mr Cook while I was there, he later became an Education lecturer at Totley College. The other teachers I remember are Miss Grandage, Mrs Marshall, Miss Melcalf and Miss Parkin. Miss Parkin left when I was in about J.3 and moved to the West Country. The caretaker was Mr Lancaster, his grandson - Rob was a good mate of mine at Hurlfield. When Mr Lancaster retired, Mr Stothard took over. The caretaker always lived in the first house on the left hand side of Ridgehill Ave.

Cheers, Wazzie Worrall

On 30/10/2011 at 17:21, jiginc said:

Talking about Ridgehill Avenue does any one remember the old gentleman who repaired shoes in a workshop behind the garage about number 81. I have taken many a pair across the road for repair. He only had one leg, we thought lost in WW1. He had a granddaughter called Carol.

jiginc

Hi,

I remember the old man and Carol his granddaughter, because we lived just a few doors down on the other side at No. 64. My brother and I shared the front bedroom and if the window was open you would hear his two sticks rattling on the path as he made his way back from the Hollin Bush, I think pubs shut at 10:00pm in those days, maybe 10:30 on Saturday? We never knew how he lost his leg. I think Carol's family name was Christan, but I don't think that was the old man's family name.

Wazzie Worrall

1 hour ago, Paul Worrall said:

Hi Bob,

Are you Robert Nutton, who then went on to high Storrs? If yes, I remember you we went out on bikes together a couple of time, Graves Park/Coal Aston - Ford?

There was also a Robert Pratt and Robert Thorpe in Mr Dyson's class.

Cheers, Paul 'Wazzie' Worrall

Hi Paul,

Yes, that's me. Remember some epic bike trips, especially to Ford on many occasions. My friends at the time were Robert Pratt ( lived on Seagrave Road)  David Frost , Peter Robinson  ( both lived near me on Seagrave Crescent) amongst others. I think Robert Thorpe lived at Gleadless Townend.

Cheers, Bob Nutton

3 hours ago, Paul Worrall said:

Hi Arif,

That's a lovely picture of the park. It's taken from the path which leads from the entrance at the side of Gleadless Church, the opposite side of Ridgeway Road to the Graves Trust Houses and shops. It's  interesting that you mention that Mr Spur was killed on Hollisend Rd. I heard that he was killed in a car crash around 1964.

Cheers, Wazzie Worrall

Hi Paul, could be my memory, I stand corrected if so! 

On 14/06/2009 at 17:05, DaveH said:

Not only is there the stream but other areas of the park are notorious for becoming muddy and marshy and staying that way for a long time after the weather has improved, a major reason for not building on it.

At the southern (Hollinsend Road) end of the park which is the lowest part of the hills gradient there is evidence of drainage not for the stream but for run off from the land.

post-822-1244995546_thumb.jpg

Hi.

I've a memory that there was a brick built toilet block at the bottom of the park near to the Hollisend Rd/Gleadless Primary School enterance, does anybody else have a memory of these toilets?

Wazzie Worrall

20 hours ago, Paul Worrall said:

Hi,

I remember the old man and Carol his granddaughter, because we lived just a few doors down on the other side at No. 64. My brother and I shared the front bedroom and if the window was open you would hear his two sticks rattling on the path as he made his way back from the Hollin Bush, I think pubs shut at 10:00pm in those days, maybe 10:30 on Saturday? We never knew how he lost his leg. I think Carol's family name was Christan, but I don't think that was the old man's family name.

Wazzie Worrall

I've just had a look in my 1954 Kelly's Directory. The house holder for No. 81 Ridgehill Ave is shown as Ernest Hibbert - Boot repairer.

Wazzie Worrall

On 17/05/2019 at 17:05, Paul Worrall said:

Hi Athy,

Wasn't that teacher called Mr Ireson, he was the deputy head, when he left Mr Dyson took over his role? There was also a Mr Cook while I was there, he later became an Education lecturer at Totley College. The other teachers I remember are Miss Grandage, Mrs Marshall, Miss Melcalf and Miss Parkin. Miss Parkin left when I was in about J.3 and moved to the West Country. The caretaker was Mr Lancaster, his grandson - Rob was a good mate of mine at Hurlfield. When Mr Lancaster retired, Mr Stothard took over. The caretaker always lived in the first house on the left hand side of Ridgehill Ave.

Cheers, Wazzie Worrall

Paul, I'm not sure of his spelling, I thought Iossen or Iosson, but you could be right. Mr. Dyson must have been after my time. Th wename "Miss Parkin" rings a bell but I can't picture her. I do indeed remember Mr. Lancaster the caretaker -= we didn't think much of him because he was always chasing us off when we climbed up the huge pile of boiler coke in the school yard, and also used to put salt on the slides we made there in winter, so that they would melt. I suppose he was "only obeying orders", but when you're nine or ten you don't see it that way.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Paul, I'm not sure of his spelling, I thought Iossen or Iosson, but you could be right. Mr. Dyson must have been after my time. Th wename "Miss Parkin" rings a bell but I can't picture her. I do indeed remember Mr. Lancaster the caretaker -= we didn't think much of him because he was always chasing us off when we climbed up the huge pile of boiler coke in the school yard, and also used to put salt on the slides we made there in winter, so that they would melt. I suppose he was "only obeying orders", but when you're nine or ten you don't see it that way.

Hi Athy,

What I remember of Miss Parkin, I think she was our teacher in J2, was her winged glasses. These days with the fashion for designer glasses I think she'd be quite trendy. I don't really remember Mr Lancaster very well, I think he was a little guy who always had a roll-up in his mouth?

The whole school appeared to run on a regime of petty rules, I doubt whether they'd get away with it with the modern generation of kids? It was common to give the kids a slap if they stepped out of line, I got many, but again that's how things were in those dark days!!

Cheers, Wazzie Worrall

Hi, 

I seem to remember Mr Lancaster as quite a tall chap,he used to let us sneak down into the cellar to see the boiler in action. I think his wife was a cleaner at the school. I remember a teacher called Miss Varney who was in charge of the very young pupils.

BobN

On 26/05/2019 at 19:27, BobN said:

Hi, 

I seem to remember Mr Lancaster as quite a tall chap,he used to let us sneak down into the cellar to see the boiler in action. I think his wife was a cleaner at the school. I remember a teacher called Miss Varney who was in charge of the very young pupils.

BobN

Hi again Bob,

I don't remember Miss Varney. Do you remember Robert Lancaster? He was the caretaker's grandson, he lived on Ridgeway Road in the row of terraces houses opposite where Grassthorpe Road joins the main road. Rob was a brilliant artist even as a teenager, I think he became a stone mason. I've not seen him for years.

Cheers, Wazzie Worrall

Hi. I remember Bob Lancaster and where he lived,Norman and Jack Warhurst also lived in the same terrace of houses,Jack was the well known road walker who was in the olympics.

6 hours ago, Paul Worrall said:

Hi again Bob,

I don't remember Miss Varney. Do you remember Robert Lancaster? He was the caretaker's grandson, he lived on Ridgeway Road in the row of terraces houses opposite where Grassthorpe Road joins the main road. Rob was a brilliant artist even as a teenager, I think he became a stone mason. I've not seen him for years.

Cheers, Wazzie Worrall

Hi Paul,

Yes ,I vaguely remember Robert Lancaster. Other classmates I remember are John Siddall, John Burton, Neil Bissatt, Linda Neville, Jane Goodson. Did you go on the school trip to York? We went up to the roof of York Minster and a had boat trip on the Ouse? I have a few faded photos I took on this trip.

Cheers, Bob

14 hours ago, BobN said:

Hi Paul,

Yes ,I vaguely remember Robert Lancaster. Other classmates I remember are John Siddall, John Burton, Neil Bissatt, Linda Neville, Jane Goodson. Did you go on the school trip to York? We went up to the roof of York Minster and a had boat trip on the Ouse? I have a few faded photos I took on this trip.

Cheers, Bob

Hi Bob,

I remember all those J4 classmates, I also remember the trip to York. Is there any chance of putting the photos on the forum? Maybe we should start a Gleadless P.School page? Other people were Mick Hartley (an excellent guitarist who went to High Storrs with you), Sandra Callaby, Barbara Wright, Barbara Bradshaw, Wendy Handley, Stephen Smith, Alan Munro. I'm sure others will come to mind, I wish we had a class photo from 1963. There was also Susan Parsons who was knocked down and killed on Ridgeway Road when she was in the first year at Hurlfield School for Girls - that's an unhappy memory of those times.

Cheers, Wazzie