The first football match you went to...

Sheffield History

What was the first game you ever went to ?

Mine was a game at Bramall Lane when United played Wednesday

Dont' remember much about the game - I bet I was about 5 and didn't watch much of the game

Went wi me dad and my uncle

Well mine was a classic (or so I am told) it was the Owls v Spurs in the 1960/61 season. Spurs were unbeaten up to that point and went on to do the League and FA cup double. DAd took me on the Leppings Lane end and sat me on a crush barrier so I could see. I had never seen so many people in one place at one time it was very intimidating for a six year old. I don't remember too much about the game just the crowd going mad when we scored and that we won. It led to me pestering my Dad every week to take me again and so started a long and frustrating life of following the Owls. The funny thing was Most of our family were Blades but Dad wanted to see the "Great" Spurs team so thats why we went.

Wednesday versus Fulham, 1970, Wednesday won 4-0, I was in the Leppings Lane end with my Dad, dunno why we didn't go on The Kop ??

I did see Pele play against Wednesday, for Santos, 1972. I was a pupil across the road, Parkside Road School. This incident did resolve a recent discussion with one of my nephews, who have you seen play that was any good, I've seen Beckham, etc, etc ....

my response : Best, Moore, Charlton, oh, and Pele

Alright this isnt as show biz as the others but it was sheffield wednesday vs barnsley n sure it was reserves or friendly but it was a cheap one i think me dad was just testing water we me to see if i liked it probably early eighties n if memory serves me correct the toilets on barnsley away end cop was something like a two urinal set up we more people peeing up outside than on inside

Guest daveyboy66

Well mine was a classic (or so I am told) it was the Owls v Spurs in the 1960/61 season. Spurs were unbeaten up to that point and went on to do the League and FA cup double. DAd took me on the Leppings Lane end and sat me on a crush barrier so I could see. I had never seen so many people in one place at one time it was very intimidating for a six year old. I don't remember too much about the game just the crowd going mad when we scored and that we won. It led to me pestering my Dad every week to take me again and so started a long and frustrating life of following the Owls. The funny thing was Most of our family were Blades but Dad wanted to see the "Great" Spurs team so thats why we went.

I went to that one, I was seven at the time. i don't think it was the first though.

I also went to the Lane to see burnley beat united in the cup, same year. It was the match when the barriers collapsed at the kop. Ray Pointer scored the winner, he was the england centre forward at the time and I think John Connolly played on the wing as well.

Guest cheekymonkey

my first match= Boxing day 1979 sheffield wednesday 4 sheffield united 0

will never forget that day mellor curran king and smith

got the highlights on dvd often watch them and remember.

First ever match for me was United versus Ipwich Town, United winning 7-0 in [i think] a pre season friendly. This would be November 1970. Supported Wednesday ever since though.

I remember that one,56,000 on 3 sides of the ground (they were building the North Stand that season).I was 12 years old,standing precariously on a concrete post at the back of the Kop,with my dad holding onto my legs,giving a commentary to the people around me who couldn't see a thing! 5 minutes before half time (score 0-0) my dad asked me to let him see the rest of the half.He got up on the post,and saw 2 goals!

My first game was Owls v Blades,4/10/1958,a week after my 10th birthday.Wednesday won 2-0 (Froggatt & Shiner).We got soaked,and my dad didn't think I'd want to go again.I went almost every game for the next 35 years!

Newcastle United first game of season, 1967 I think...0-0. I remember a box in the centre circle full of blue and white balloons. Jim Iley played for Newcastle and Bobby Moncur. My hero was Wilf Smith and John Fantham and I never noticed any of the other players. I was on my Dad's shoulders near that bit of corrugated metal on the kop where all the bus conductors stood.

Guest johnc1

:rolleyes: dont remeber the very first game

but the first game i went to without my dad was

blades v orient sabellas debut in 78

Guest owl capone

Newcastle United first game of season, 1967 I think...0-0. I remember a box in the centre circle full of blue and white balloons. Jim Iley played for Newcastle and Bobby Moncur. My hero was Wilf Smith and John Fantham and I never noticed any of the other players. I was on my Dad's shoulders near that bit of corrugated metal on the kop where all the bus conductors stood.

I remember that match and the balloons. Ron Springett ran out a few minutes before the rest of the players and released them It was Wednesdays centenary year. The match designated as the game closest to the centenary was against Fulham on a wednesday night we won 4-2 and the club gave discounted entry to the game

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

I remember that match and the balloons. Ron Springett ran out a few minutes before the rest of the players and released them It was Wednesdays centenary year. The match designated as the game closest to the centenary was against Fulham on a wednesday night we won 4-2 and the club gave discounted entry to the game

Wednesday 5 Tottenham H 1, March 1st 1947. Jimmy Dailey scored a hat-trick. Cost a penny to get from Newhall to Hillsborough --ha'penny from Brightside Lane to town, ha'penny from town to the ground! Ah, what days! Such romance!

Sheffield Wednesday versus Lincoln City, wait for it! 1943 during war time football, don't remember much about the game other than an abiding memory of seeing the great Jackie Robinson for the first time, and he scored too

Sheffield Wednesday versus Lincoln City, wait for it! 1943 during war time football, don't remember much about the game other than an abiding memory of seeing the great Jackie Robinson for the first time, and he scored too

Thanks for sharing that great memory.

Was it Boxing Day 1942? League North - Wednesday won 4-3 and Robinson scored a hat trick? Doesn't look like they played Lincoln again until 1944! ;-)

Thanks for sharing that great memory.

Was it Boxing Day 1942? League North - Wednesday won 4-3 and Robinson scored a hat trick? Doesn't look like they played Lincoln again until 1944! ;-)

Absolutely correct, and I can remember very clearly sat on the wall at Leppings lane end and seeing Robinson breaking through to score, and we payed fourpence, four old pennies, to get in.What would Wednesday give for "Robbo"today???????????????

If anyone is wondering about the Owls playing Lincoln,during the war leagues were formed on a geographical basis to cut down excessive travel, and of course many players were serving in the forces and "Guest"players were allowed from other clubs players in the vicinity.My apologies for the histrory lesson folks

Mine was Sheffield Wed v Man United with a 4-4 draw. Must have been early 1970s and it was televised. I can remember the police horses coming on to push some fans on the old Kop back who had tried to get onto the pitch - the cameras missed one of the goals because of it.

Absolutely correct, and I can remember very clearly sat on the wall at Leppings lane end and seeing Robinson breaking through to score, and we payed fourpence, four old pennies, to get in.What would Wednesday give for "Robbo"today???????????????

If anyone is wondering about the Owls playing Lincoln,during the war leagues were formed on a geographical basis to cut down excessive travel, and of course many players were serving in the forces and "Guest"players were allowed from other clubs players in the vicinity.My apologies for the histrory lesson folks

Don't apologise that sort of stuff is what this is all about - excellent!!

Mine was Sheffield Wed v Man United with a 4-4 draw. Must have been early 1970s and it was televised. I can remember the police horses coming on to push some fans on the old Kop back who had tried to get onto the pitch - the cameras missed one of the goals because of it.

I remember that well - it was 7th December 1974. Goals by Sunley 2, Harvey and Shaw. A bit hazy now but I think we went 1-0 down them turned it round to 3-1 thean it was 3-3 then we scored and then they equalised. I was stood on the Kop in that funny triangle being 11 mydad (and some other Wednesday dads had formed a circle around us as there seemed to be Man U fans everywhere and it was a bit scary! I think a man U player broke his leg in the game - Jim Holton?

I remember that well - it was 7th December 1974. Goals by Sunley 2, Harvey and Shaw. A bit hazy now but I think we went 1-0 down them turned it round to 3-1 thean it was 3-3 then we scored and then they equalised. I was stood on the Kop in that funny triangle being 11 mydad (and some other Wednesday dads had formed a circle around us as there seemed to be Man U fans everywhere and it was a bit scary! I think a man U player broke his leg in the game - Jim Holton?
And you say that's a BIT HAZY :o

I was also 11, and my dad managed to get tickets in the North stand about half way so we had good end to end vision.

Guest owl capone

I remember that game Ron Springett came out and released them It was our centenary year.On the actual day of the centenary we played Fulham (it was a Wed night) and won 4-2 with reduced admission prices.

Also in that era, in the NorthStand if you bought a cushion you got a free tube of some hair cream like brylcream. Dont know what that was all about. Of course the cushions got stopped in 68 after hundreds were thrown on to the pitch following a perfectly good goal from Gerry Young being disallowed against Liverpool.

Oh and my first game 42 years ago this very day (31/12/66) beat Chelsea 6-1

United V Liverpool about 1977 ish, Milk Cup I think, United won 1-0 I was devastated as I was a Liverpool Fan at the time, (I was only 6 at the time, and didn't know better!)