Unidentified buildings and streets

RichardB

Numbered 295 on the 1950s map, but not shown on the 1905 map.

295 Cemetery Road

Montgomery College; Arthur Reynolds Lee, principal (1925)

So, as a matter of interest, how could that information be passed back to picture Sheffield so that they could update the "unidentified"?

So, as a matter of interest, how could that information be passed back to picture Sheffield so that they could update the "unidentified"?

Hi HP,

via the ''Add information to to pictures' link (L/H side) on the Local Studies Library Picture Sheffield

it takes you to a 'Add information to pictures' page.

May be better leaving off at the moment as the Archives are in the middle of an upgrade.

My mistake....it does appear on the 1903 map :rolleyes:

And in Kelly's 1905 directory is listed as

(un-numbered) Montgomery College, Samuel J. Lewis, principal.

This college is completely new to me, - was it one of those small religious establishments ?

Are they taking the Mickey ?

No date given. How is this unidentified ?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=w00111

Same building from the other side I think

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29s10657%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOUZhcmdhdGUlMjglMjQlN0MrJTJCJTI5JmFjdGlvbj1zZWFyY2gmcGFnZT0xNg==

Unidentified street including Goverment Stores and derelict printers.

Labelled as West Bar, however no mention can be found in directories (1910's)

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s20317

[RichardB - I could definately see this on West Bar; corner with Furnace Hill]

Spot on with that Richard, My first ever job two doors on at G.W.Potts Electrical, they had two units side by side with a double fronted shop window and a further machine shop on Furnace hill itself. Ned Johnsons Geared units and Drive belts also had 2 units on the same block. There were flats above the units, one of the families were known to me as the Chadburns. Also, the Fothergill family (Big Owls fans as was I) were ecenomicly active in the area; Jack Fothergill made and sold the best meat pies I've ever tasted from the other side of Furnace Hill and his brother worked just along the Road at The Bradford Wollen Co.

Spot on with that Richard, My first ever job two doors on at G.W.Potts Electrical, they had two units side by side with a double fronted shop window and a further machine shop on Furnace hill itself. Ned Johnsons Geared units and Drive belts also had 2 units on the same block. There were flats above the units, one of the families were known to me as the Chadburns. Also, the Fothergill family (Big Owls fans as was I) were ecenomicly active in the area; Jack Fothergill made and sold the best meat pies I've ever tasted from the other side of Furnace Hill and his brother worked just along the Road at The Bradford Wollen Co.

Maybe, just maybe, I'm not an idiot after all

Same only different.

The windows are different, the lintels are different and also the roof line.

To name but a few

Pitty we can't post the pictures side by side.

Google streetview

Picture sheffield

Same only different.

The windows are different, the lintels are different and also the roof line.

To name but a few

Pitty we can't post the pictures side by side.

Google streetview

Picture sheffield

I don't think it's the same, as you say vox there are a few differences.

When I first saw that picture the first thing that came to mind was

the Army Stores shop that used to be on a corner near there.

It could have been the corner of Mathew street or Allen street..

'Verulam'

Ontario

No date given. 'Verulam', unidentified house, possibly Meersbrook/Woodseats area

Ontario

Verulam Township was named for the Earl Of Verulam, James Walter Grimston (1775 - 1845) who was the brother-in-law of Lord Liverpool, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1812 to 1827. The township was surveyed in 1831 by the government of Upper Canada and lots were first offered for sale in 1832, for 8 shillings per acre.

Weston Park Girls School in Unidentified Area.

No date. Early directories refer to a West-Ville House Boarding School

[should be easy, he says, laughing ...]

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s06611

Jane Green, Boarding School, Westville, Western Bank, Baine's 1822, Pigot's 1828-9 and White's 1833

also

Lawrence Potts, Merchant, home Westville, Western Bank White's 1837

Works

No date given, River Don, possibly Brightside.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s12221

Hello Richard,

Can I stick-my-kneck-out and suggest this is the Don but in Attercliffe not Brightside, What leads me to this conclusion is the structural steelwork in the forground. It looks awfully familiar and could be the supports and underside of the tramway that brought coal wagons over Effingham Road and the Don, down to the Salmon Pastures Coal Yard on Attercliffe Road.

If I'm right, the photo is a view looking upstream in the direction of the Leveson Street Bridge,at Norfolk Bridge. The bridge it'self would be beyond the buildings on the right.

Effingham Road would be to the left of the steel trestle (shown on the left of the picture). All the buildings along the left would be the old Park Iron Works (PIW) of Davy Brothers/ Davy United (at that site from1842 to1957). I was an apprentice at Davy United (1953 - 1957) and was familiar with the Works. Later, the works belonged to Tempered Spring Co (?) and were still there when I took the Five Weirs Walk in Oct. 06. I understand they have since been demolished.

The works were on two levels: The one nearest camera, would be the old foundry (moved to Darnall in the 1920s: later the site became steel stockyard), followed by the machine and erection shops. The shop floor in this part of the works was just above river-level, infact if there was a sudden flash-flood, water would shoot up through the drains and cover the floor in seconds.

The old boiler shops( later the fabrication shops) was at the much higher Leveson Street level. These are the really high buildings shown in the distance.

No idea who owned the works on the right of the picture, which must have been on Warren Street.

Regards

Hello Richard,

Can I stick-my-kneck-out and suggest this is the Don but in Attercliffe not Brightside, What leads me to this conclusion is the structural steelwork in the forground. It looks awfully familiar and could be the supports and underside of tramway that brought coal wagons over Effingham Road and the Don, down to the Salmon Pastures Coal Yard on Attercliff Road.

If I'm right, the photo is a view looking upstream in the direction of the Leveson Street Bridge,at Norfolk Bridge. The bridge it'self would be behind the buildings.

Effingham Road would be to the left of the steel trestle shown on the left of the picture. All the buildings along the left of the picture would be the old Park Iron Works (PIW) of Davy Brothers/ Davy United (at that site from1842 to1957). I was an apprentice at Davy United (1953 - 1957) and was familiar with the Works. Later, the works belonged to Tempered Spring Co (?) and were still there when I took the Five Weirs Walk in Oct. 06. I understand they have since been demolished.

The works were on two levels: The low level, nearest camera, would be the old foundry (moved to Darnall in the 1920s: later the site became steel stockyard, followed by the machine shops and high-bay erection shops. The shop floor in this part of the works was almost at river-level, infact if there was a sudden flash-flood, water would shoot up through the drains and cover the floor in seconds.

The old boiler shops( later the fabrication shops) was at the Leveson Street level, which would explain the really high building shown in the distance.

No idea who owned the works on the right of the picture, which must have been on Warren Street.

Regards

You can suggest what you wish Falls,
reading your detailed description and looking at the photo in question,
and with help of the maps.
I would say that you are Spot On !!!

1950's OS maps #87 & 68 (reduced size crops)

Link to Flash Earth

You can suggest what you wish Falls,

reading your detailed description and looking at the photo in question,

and with help of the maps.

I would say that you are Spot On !!!

1950's OS maps #87 & 68 (reduced size crops)

Link to Flash Earth

Hello,

Two things:

1 - That's Park Iron Works (PIW) with a suprising amount of detail shown on the Map(s). If you are interested, I could tell you the use of each building. Because many things on the site were at different levels, there were few interesting archtectural wrinkles that obviously don't show up on the map. I spent a year (1952) at PIW as an office boy before my apprenticeship and used to go prowling around the site on my lunch hour. This got me into one or two scrapes as well.

2 - I was always lead to believe that the Davy Brothers moved from Millsands and built the PIW in 1842, however, more recent information I've found suggest the works may have been there for more than 40 years. This came in G.R. Vines' "The Story of Old Attercliffe - Part 2" (another of Eric Youles amazing transcripts) and has the following reference:

"In 1787, Booth, Binks,Hartop & Co. were iron founders, probably at the Park Iron Works - now Davy Brothers. In 1797, the firm was Jno. Booth & Co., Iron Founders, Sheffield Park. In 1833, Booth & Co. were coal merchants, having the Tinsley Park Colliery Wharf at the Canal Basin, and Iron Masters at the Park Iron Works"

The quote then goes on to describe a Mr. Thomas Booth of Tinsley Park Colliery as a very impressive and Important man in the 1830's., however, by 1843 things seem to have taken a turn for the worst.

In "The Jurist " No. 365 (London, December 9th, 1843) there is a notice of a meeting to be held on January 9th, 1844, in the District Court of Bankrupcy, Leeds, regarding a Mr. Thos. Booth of the Park Iron Works, Sheffield and the Tinsley Park Colliery, Rotherham.

I haven't found anything that would confirm that Thos. Booth was in fact declared "Bankrupt;" however Davy Brothers may have bought PIW from the Receiver although I dont know where to find confirmation of this.

Regards