Sheffield History

Bands From Sheffield - The Definitive List

OK, so he wasn't a band, but Tony Dalli was a popular recording artist after moving from Italy to Sheffield (where he became a steel worker before entering showbiz) around 1950. He made quite a few records and I remember my parents talking about him when I was a small boy in the 1950s.He appeared in the USA quite a bit too. According to the internet, he is still alive and his family runs a chain of pasta restaurants on the Costa del Sol. Quite a globetrotter!

I remember hearing many years ago that The Fentones, Shane Fenton / Alvin Stardust's backing group, were from Sheffield and all worked as dustmen before hitting the biggish time. is this true?

"It was time to get a proper bass guitar. It was now 1961 and I had left the Images and joined the Rave – ons, which later became the Chevrons. Sheffield was a burgeoning music scene at the time, with such bands in the area as Jimmy Crawford and the Ravens,
Dave Berry and the Cruisers, Shane Fenton and the Fentones, (eventually to become Alvin Stardust) and somewhere around was Joe Cocker, at that time Vance Arnold and the Avengers."

Source

I thought they were from Mansfield but I used to see the Fentones van parked on the verge somewhere around here sometimes.

Birley Moor Road

Hi Everyone,

Looking for any info on a couple of club bands I saw in 1978.

Street Choir and Steeley.

Any memories welcome.

Thanks!

I'm pleased to say that I have been in more than one of those bands on that list.

However what do you have to do to get a band on the list. I could name 50 or 60 more, do the list bands have to be signed to a record label or just have to exist ? I have been in 20 to 30 bands myself and when I ran a PA system I actually did the sound for 1000 gigs in local venues.. My poor ears !

Any bands are welcome (signed or unsigned) - just gotta be Sheffield bands :-)

What we'll do is get everyone to contribute in the thread, then I'll update with the definitive list !

Please lets not forget the Great Wane Fontana and The Mindbenders from Sheffield.. remember they had a big hit with .."The Game of Love" and more .back in the 60s'.(.if its already been posted I apologise) ...

Manchester band aren't they?

anyone remember The Citizens, later became The Male Set ?

anyone remember The Citizens, later became The Male Set ?

Never saw or heard them but, I remember the singer being interviewed on one of the local news programs one teatime. The band all had their hair cut in the "Citizen cut" which they reckoned was going to be the next big big fashion thing.

Don't know why on earth I remember that :unsure:

Who's Who? Used to be the Nocturnes with Bobby Dene.

The Harlem Nocturnes

The Nocturnes

Who's Who?

how about the SHEFFIELDS from 1964 formerly called THE KNIVES AND FORKS  the had a single which my wife has called IT MUST BE LOVE.....GOOD TRACK COMPLETE WITH HARMONICA

On 10/21/2014 at 10:05, Sheffield History said:

Manchester band aren't they?

yes deffo a manchester band but played sheffield  often

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 20:37, David Szpajer said:

how about the SHEFFIELDS from 1964 formerly called THE KNIVES AND FORKS  the had a single which my wife has called IT MUST BE LOVE.....GOOD TRACK COMPLETE WITH HARMONICA

Their recording career ran to three singles - all of which are fairly valuable now. They played r&b with a little jazz, their last single 'Bags Groove' was a cover of a tune by jazz vibes player Milt Jackson. It must have sold a few, as it was pressed at least twice (though I don't know how many would be pressed at a time, maybe 1,000).

On 6/20/2016 at 16:38, Athy said:

Their recording career ran to three singles - all of which are fairly valuable now. They played r&b with a little jazz, their last single 'Bags Groove' was a cover of a tune by jazz vibes player Milt Jackson. It must have sold a few, as it was pressed at least twice (though I don't know how many would be pressed at a time, maybe 1,000).