Bands From Sheffield - The Definitive List

Sheffield History

There's a few I can remember from the 60's / 70/s.

Scott William Combo

The four Blades?

Beano

Frankenstein and the monsters

Dave Berry's Cruisers

Mclusky's Apocolypse fantastic( I think, cos they mainly played in pubs), but they did play at the Sheffield playhouse once.

You have Joe Cocker but what about his original band Vance Arnold and the Avengers.

Ah many a happy saturday night spent at the dance at St Columba's in Crosspool.

Dave

Guest Sam Therapy

A few missing from the list. The, who were the forerunners of Artery. In fact, The were called Torpedos for one gig. Cardboard Criminals, Fracture, King Dice, Eat Lead Lady, Torq.

I should know, I was in all of 'em.

King Dice are back after a 13 year break.

Another one for the list were 'In a Bell Jar' an offshoot of early Pulp, saw them a couple of time upstairs at the Hallamshire west street. the line up was jarvis, tim and a black guy whose name i canot recall

Still no adition of In a Bell Jar on the list, why?

PULP - ACRYLIC AFTERNOONS - The Secret History of Pulp

www.acrylicafternoons.com/rch.htmlCached - Similar

The line-up was completed by keyboardist Tim Allcard (ex-In A Bell Jar) and drummer Magnus Doyle (ex-Midnight Choir). Pete was a good mate of Magnus, and Jarvis

Guest BensonR

I'm very pleased to see someone mention Blammo here. I saw them at the Adelphi Club in Hull in about 1989 and thought they were great. But having heard nothing of them since, I'd come to wonder if they might have been a figment of my imagination.

Don't forget synth band Graph, Ian (Eric) Burden's band before he joined The Human League. The singer was called Elliot, but shamefully I can't remember his surname even though I knew him. I also remember my friend Pam Young singing with Graph on one or two occasions. Pam later went to work for Zoo Records in Liverpool.

Also, have you got The Extras, The Push, and Vice Versa?

It's all well and good talking about Sheffield Bands that made it in the big world but what about bands that were popular for a while around working mens' clubs and youth clubs but didn't go on to greater things? In the 60s in particular every lad with a guitar wanted to be in a band - and a lot of them were! Of course, some of the groups didn't last very long. Does anyone remember The Cadillacs? They were a great band. We used to follow them all round the area. The pubs were always fuill when they were on. The Frank White Combo was another one. There was also Ronnie Crest and the Crestas (my hubbie played with them for a short while). Can anyone think of any others?

Admin, would it be possible to re-post the Definitive List, do you think, with all the additions? I might have some more from the late 70s, but it's hard to keep track of what's been added and what hasn't.

Ta!

Loads missing from your definitive list, actually some quite popular local bands.

A few mentioned during the thread but here are some missing from your list, all Sheffield based bands

Blammo

Blameless

Demented

Eat Lead Lady

The Dylans

Speedy (aka Blammo)

The (local punk band of the 70's)

The Sugarcharms

The Seaside (successful local band recorded at Human League studios)

Torq

I've probably got loads of copies of the local music papers in my loft if anyone wants me to get a better list

You can't miss out Mike Barron & the Earls in the 60/70's. From working men's clubs & pubs to night clubs, noteably Batlley Variety Cub supporting top celebs. Think Peter Kay must have based Phoenix Nights on these venues. I know cos I was married to one of the 'Earls' & experienced most of the locations.

A very fine offer, would be much appreciated - Thank you.

I've probably got loads of copies of the local music papers in my loft if anyone wants me to get a better list

There's a few I can remember from the 60's / 70/s.

Mclusky's Apocolypse fantastic( I think, cos they mainly played in pubs), but they did play at the Sheffield playhouse once.

Dave

I think the band were called "McCloskeys Apocalypse" and they were discussed on a different thread a few years ago. I saw them a couple of times in the late 60s / early 70s. Their bassist joined in the thread more recently and mentioned that they re-formed for a gig in 2001.

They should definitely be on the list!

Richard

A very fine offer, would be much appreciated - Thank you.

Any chance of scanning some of them RS.

There must be loads of interesting stuff in them which need preserving, apart from just band names.

Adverts, photos, interviews

I think the band were called "McCloskeys Apocalypse" and they were discussed on a different thread a few years ago. I saw them a couple of times in the late 60s / early 70s. Their bassist joined in the thread more recently and mentioned that they re-formed for a gig in 2001.

They should definitely be on the list!

Richard

It was indeed McCloskeys Apocalypse, according to the other topic you mentioned:

Any Pulp stuff, articles or flyers etc, hidden away in that loft of yours?

Yes I am sure there is as a couple of the band members used to come and watch the band I was in as well as Bendy Monsters.

Let me dig the stuff out tomorrow

Guest bluebottle

I don't think "Pieces North" have been mentioned. Late sixties pubs, clubs and dances, Sheffield and farther afield. Played as a foursome: Hank lead guitar, Norrie rhythm, Pip bass, Ron drums. They sang good harmonies, and backed Pete Fender on his last gigs before his untimely death.

Guest HughieD

How could you miss out those Poisonous Little Creatures. On Action Records in the late 80s:

http://www.poisonouslittlecreatures.co.uk/

An album, a 7" single and some compilation album appearences. Talking about compilations, big up to Mighty Sheffield Records - perhaps the only label in Sheffield at the time releasing local bands on vinyl.

http://www.stevlor.com/shutter/shutterindex.htm

A few I can remember are:

The Seaside

Six Stone Six

Couscous

Millions Of Honey

Newspeak

Shatners Bassoon Band (Rob Cohen)

The Dylans

Any Pulp stuff, articles or flyers etc, hidden away in that loft of yours?

I used to design the posters for The Leadmill and Polytechnic and and did quite a few for Pulp but sadly I no longer have them:(

Members of New Formula went on to Paper Lace and Kevin Coyne's band - possibly Siren, did an album called Strange Locomotion - which I bought for 10p from Hartley Seed clearance warehouse near the Wednesday ground.

Well, it's up and down

Way off the ground

Strange, Strange, Strange Locomotion.

etc etc

New Formula