Bands From Sheffield - The Definitive List

Sheffield History

OK, so he wasn't a band, but Tony Dalli was a popular recording artist after moving from Italy to Sheffield (where he became a steel worker before entering showbiz) around 1950. He made quite a few records and I remember my parents talking about him when I was a small boy in the 1950s.He appeared in the USA quite a bit too. According to the internet, he is still alive and his family runs a chain of pasta restaurants on the Costa del Sol. Quite a globetrotter!

I remember hearing many years ago that The Fentones, Shane Fenton / Alvin Stardust's backing group, were from Sheffield and all worked as dustmen before hitting the biggish time. is this true?

"It was time to get a proper bass guitar. It was now 1961 and I had left the Images and joined the Rave – ons, which later became the Chevrons. Sheffield was a burgeoning music scene at the time, with such bands in the area as Jimmy Crawford and the Ravens,
Dave Berry and the Cruisers, Shane Fenton and the Fentones, (eventually to become Alvin Stardust) and somewhere around was Joe Cocker, at that time Vance Arnold and the Avengers."

Source

I thought they were from Mansfield but I used to see the Fentones van parked on the verge somewhere around here sometimes.

Birley Moor Road

Hi Everyone,

Looking for any info on a couple of club bands I saw in 1978.

Street Choir and Steeley.

Any memories welcome.

Thanks!

I'm pleased to say that I have been in more than one of those bands on that list.

However what do you have to do to get a band on the list. I could name 50 or 60 more, do the list bands have to be signed to a record label or just have to exist ? I have been in 20 to 30 bands myself and when I ran a PA system I actually did the sound for 1000 gigs in local venues.. My poor ears !

Any bands are welcome (signed or unsigned) - just gotta be Sheffield bands :-)

What we'll do is get everyone to contribute in the thread, then I'll update with the definitive list !

Please lets not forget the Great Wane Fontana and The Mindbenders from Sheffield.. remember they had a big hit with .."The Game of Love" and more .back in the 60s'.(.if its already been posted I apologise) ...

Manchester band aren't they?

anyone remember The Citizens, later became The Male Set ?

Never saw or heard them but, I remember the singer being interviewed on one of the local news programs one teatime. The band all had their hair cut in the "Citizen cut" which they reckoned was going to be the next big big fashion thing.

Don't know why on earth I remember that :unsure:

how about the SHEFFIELDS from 1964 formerly called THE KNIVES AND FORKS  the had a single which my wife has called IT MUST BE LOVE.....GOOD TRACK COMPLETE WITH HARMONICA

On 10/21/2014 at 10:05, Sheffield History said:

Manchester band aren't they?

yes deffo a manchester band but played sheffield  often

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 20:37, David Szpajer said:

how about the SHEFFIELDS from 1964 formerly called THE KNIVES AND FORKS  the had a single which my wife has called IT MUST BE LOVE.....GOOD TRACK COMPLETE WITH HARMONICA

Their recording career ran to three singles - all of which are fairly valuable now. They played r&b with a little jazz, their last single 'Bags Groove' was a cover of a tune by jazz vibes player Milt Jackson. It must have sold a few, as it was pressed at least twice (though I don't know how many would be pressed at a time, maybe 1,000).

On 6/20/2016 at 16:38, Athy said:

Their recording career ran to three singles - all of which are fairly valuable now. They played r&b with a little jazz, their last single 'Bags Groove' was a cover of a tune by jazz vibes player Milt Jackson. It must have sold a few, as it was pressed at least twice (though I don't know how many would be pressed at a time, maybe 1,000).

Hi - I ran a fanzine called "Tigers on t'Moor" (taken from a Mark Mywords poem!) in 1980-82 and one edition had as full a list as I could manage of Sheffield bands at the time. I should still have a copy in the loft somewhere so will dig it out and try to add a few names. Noted missing so far are

• Earth Tales (also Rhiannon / Whale of a Time, both folk bands) all of which included the late, great Myke Barritt
  • A Major European Group

I ran occasional gigs at the Hallamshire on West Street, one of which involved an all-girl punk band from Dore whose name totally escapes me and who were missed off the list in the fanzine! Can anyone remind me?

Chris

On 26/02/2018 at 16:12, deltics said:

Hi - I ran a fanzine called "Tigers on t'Moor" (taken from a Mark Mywords poem!) in 1980-82 and one edition had as full a list as I could manage of Sheffield bands at the time. I should still have a copy in the loft somewhere so will dig it out and try to add a few names. Noted missing so far are

• Earth Tales (also Rhiannon / Whale of a Time, both folk bands) all of which included the late, great Myke Barritt
  • A Major European Group

I ran occasional gigs at the Hallamshire on West Street, one of which involved an all-girl punk band from Dore whose name totally escapes me and who were missed off the list in the fanzine! Can anyone remind me?

Chris

Hi,

If we go back to the 60's many pubs and clubs had concert rooms so there were hundreds of Sheffield and district bands. As kids we would go to the Centre Spot at Base Green and the Old Harrow (Wheel Barrow) on White Lane. An excellent band who I saw around Sheffield were called someting like the Quillers(?), they sounded a bit like the Animals. In addition to pubs I also saw them palying at some Lord Mayors twinning do at Whirlow Court in 1965. I think their lead singer was called Andy and their manager was a bloke called Charlie Parkin - what's happened to them?

Another band I remember seeing at the Centre Spot which isn't mentioned was called Dean Web and the Spider Men. If Dean is still alive he'll be well in his 70's by now.

Then if we go onto the late 60's there were the x2 Sheffield soul bands, the Pitiful Soul Band and the Travellers Express Soul Band. I have a vague memory of one of them backing Geno Washington and the Ramjam Band, but I can't remember which one or were it was? The Pitiful SB used to practice in a basement on Havolock Square or Filey Street, I think they were the first live bands I saw who had saxophones. I think Skippy used to play sax, they were brilliant. This was also the time of the Shades Night Club in the basement of the old cinema on Ecclesall Rd South, this excellent club brought a lot of Soul Music to the people of Sheffield, plus Joe Cocker night on Wednesday or possibly Thursday night.

Wazzie Worrall

Hi , whilst living in London in the 70's , I was playing in the Steve Walker Band , with the man himself , who in many opinions , was one of the finest voices  in the U.K. at that time .

Steve had left Sheffield after singing there in a band called Mother's Pride .

Upon a visit to Sheffield in order to pick up the rest of his P.A. from his mothers home in Hillsborough , Steve introduced me to some of his musical friends , the Warm Dust band ( another band that is not in your list of Sheffield bands , despite having recording contracts , and involving Paul Carrack )

Shortly after this period , I moved abroad , and lost  all contact with Steve .

Upon my return to South Yorkshire area around the 80's , and attempting to re-contact , I was told  by Dave Rawlinson (R.I.P.) of Dizzy Spells , who knew Steve  , that the latter had since left London , and had relocated  to Roysten Rd. , Barnsley 

However , my attempts to re-contact , Steve Walker proved unsuccessful . 

We were also good friends , and I would greatly appreciate any news of him, and his endeavors since the above time , and , hopefully present time . Steve loved singing , and if still about , I can not imagine him not continuing to sing  , somewhere , in some capacity .

Many thanks

ivan

On 09/07/2008 at 09:54, Markbaby said:

What about "Frankenstein & the Monsters" . Hallam DJ, Ray Stuart was lead vocals

Remember them performing at the 45 Club in the 60's - (St. Hildas on Windmill Lane) they dressed in scarey outfits, seem to remember one had a chain and did his best to make the girls scream. They must have been good because everyone stayed on the dance floor which didn't always happen. 

Perhaps also include the Donbeats whose club it was. Still have the membership card. 

On 09/08/2020 at 11:55, Paul Worrall said:

Hi,

If we go back to the 60's many pubs and clubs had concert rooms so there were hundreds of Sheffield and district bands. As kids we would go to the Centre Spot at Base Green and the Old Harrow (Wheel Barrow) on White Lane. An excellent band who I saw around Sheffield were called someting like the Quillers(?), they sounded a bit like the Animals. In addition to pubs I also saw them palying at some Lord Mayors twinning do at Whirlow Court in 1965. I think their lead singer was called Andy and their manager was a bloke called Charlie Parkin - what's happened to them?

Another band I remember seeing at the Centre Spot which isn't mentioned was called Dean Web and the Spider Men. If Dean is still alive he'll be well in his 70's by now.

Then if we go onto the late 60's there were the x2 Sheffield soul bands, the Pitiful Soul Band and the Travellers Express Soul Band. I have a vague memory of one of them backing Geno Washington and the Ramjam Band, but I can't remember which one or were it was? The Pitiful SB used to practice in a basement on Havolock Square or Filey Street, I think they were the first live bands I saw who had saxophones. I think Skippy used to play sax, they were brilliant. This was also the time of the Shades Night Club in the basement of the old cinema on Ecclesall Rd South, this excellent club brought a lot of Soul Music to the people of Sheffield, plus Joe Cocker night on Wednesday or possibly Thursday night.

Wazzie Worrall

Yes the Quillers featured a very young  Andy Hinkler (brother of both David and Simon Hinkler) Andy used to post on here,

• Like 1