Bands From Sheffield - The Definitive List

Sheffield History

Guest SonofSharrow

One Thousand Violins and Treebound Story, both from around the mid 80s. I'm sure that Treebound Story were on the fon label

Guest Sonofsheep

Vital a Sheffield band from 80's with the singer whom went on to be in the blues doctors, (pub blues band) in the 90's and last I heard had topped himself on news years eve 2012. Think his name was rob, still have a single from them somewhere and saw them with pulp on London road

Scala Timpani - fantastic Sheffield group, saw them live at Top Rank in about 1982,3 or 4. I have still got their session on tape when they did John Peel' radio 1 late night show.

Band members were:

Russell courtney - on drums

Simon Kemp - on Keyboards

Russell Bonnell - vocals of the band Vision

Chesh Wegrzynski - on lead guitar

Alastair Broadhead - on Bass

I'm pleased to say that I have been in more than one of those bands on that list.

However what do you have to do to get a band on the list. I could name 50 or 60 more, do the list bands have to be signed to a record label or just have to exist ? I have been in 20 to 30 bands myself and when I ran a PA system I actually did the sound for 1000 gigs in local venues.. My poor ears !

Guest somuchnoise

I stumbled across this topic earlier whilst doing some research into recordings by Sheffield post punk / new wave bands as I'm trying to add to my collection. I was in a local band between 1985 - 1987 and played at one of the 'Dolebusters' events in Weston Park. A cassette compilation entitled 'See You Later Agitator' was issued to coincide with the shows and contains tracks by quite a few bands who do not appear on your list. I thought it might be useful to scan in the artwork and tracklist to share here as it may well jog a few slightly frazzled memories.

Edit - It seems my uploads have triggered the 'obscenity filter' due to it containing a few bands using naughty words in their names. So rather than tinker with the original artwork, here's a (lightly censored) list of the bands included on this cassette which do not already appear on the list;

Death Trash

Johnny Crescendo

The Bland

The Flexible Penguins

Pulp

<removed>

Henry Normal

The Detail

<removed>

The Nearly Band

The Bergmans

Hole In The Wall

Masons

Ritual Disguise

Spoon

WARNING ! contains swear words, open at your own discretion.

Dolebusters posters .pdf

Edit - It seems my uploads have triggered the 'obscenity filter' due to it containing a few bands using naughty words in their names. So rather than tinker with the original artwork, here's a (lightly censored) list of the bands included on this cassette which do not already appear on the list;

Death Trash

Johnny Crescendo

The Bland

The Flexible Penguins

Pulp

<removed>

Henry Normal

The Detail

<removed>

The Nearly Band

The Bergmans

Hole In The Wall

Masons

Ritual Disguise

Spoon

We do not allow swear words or masked swear words on here !

The Dodgems...(Phil Goodwin, Tom Goodwin, Eric Miller, Nick O'Malley, replaced by Chris Murray on bass.) formerly Gypsy (Phil Goodwin, Tom Goodwin, Ed Cosens, Michael Breeze, Mathew Nashvili) and later becoming Elephant Keys ( Phil Goodwin, Tom Goodwin, Michael Breeze. ) then...Feral Brood ( Phil Goodwin, Tom Goodwin, Eric Miller, Dan Williamson, Russell Frisby.). Gypsy formed around 96 and over the next 5 yrs had several drummers and bass players...Singer Ed Cosens went on to form Judan Suki with Jon McClure and Alex Turner around 2001...Alex Turner later Formed Arctic Monkeys... Nick O’Malley who had earlier replaced Paul Holden in Gypsy around 2001went on to join Arctic Monkeys in 2005...Ed Cosens and Jon McClure went on to form Reverend and the Makers.

Back in the 1960's we had the Four Blades who had a strong following in Europe where they toured NATO bases. Bobby Knutt ( Bob Andrews) was their lead singer . The group broke up following a serious road accident whilst touring in France!

Guest stevecarter1000

Lasrevinu - played The Crucible several times (Stars On Sunday gigs), The Maze and The Nelson Mandela Building - 1983/84. Some guy called Mark Kerly (Curley?) who was the MC at the Crucibles SOS gigs wanted to be our Manager....

I was the bass player (Steve Carter), Bill Buxton on drums and Mark Taylor (RIP) on vocals/guitar. Mark was my Brother-In-Law.

We played with Vicious Circles (Fingers Fenton on Guitar/vocals, Simon on bass); God (featuring the (to be) drummer of Pulp); The Howdy Boys (from Nottingham maybe...?); The Flying Alphonso Brothers; possibly Tsi-Tsa at The Crucible?? A few others who I can't remember.

You may have seen a 2 page spread in The Star recently about Mark....? It would have been his 50th so his friends and family released balloons around the world to remember him. He died two years ago.

I'd be very grateful if anyone has any pics/info on Lasrevinu. Anyone....?

Guest proterra

What about John O'hara & the Playboys, frequentd Mukky duck a lot

plus The Pitiful souls , soul band of the 60's

Pity the venues like the Blue Bell in Hackenthorpe arent around any more, some great nights out there listening to the bands

I played bass in Oranges for Angels that went on to become Newspeak. Luke "Scotty" Scott was our lead guitarist who subsequently played with Jools Holland and is the regular with Babybird. We gigged by ourselves and supported some good bands and were managed by Smitty who had the Goth shop near the Poly.

There was a video by a band from Sheffield on TV yesterday but I can't remember the name.The song was fantastic.All I can remember is S......60.Can anyone help?

There was a video by a band from Sheffield on TV yesterday but I can't remember the name.The song was fantastic.All I can remember is S......60.Can anyone help?

Its Section 60-found it.Can't find the video though.The band are performing beneath a tall wall.