Meadowhall - Before The Shops

Sheffield History

sorry about that. i was in a bit of a rush last post.

hope this thread carrys on as it is getting more interesting as more pics are posted.

im still undecided over that bridge in pic 2 though :huh:

That is the Don on the other side of the wall, and yes, that bridge is till there. There is a good picture of the works in the thread about the Tinsley Cooling Towers.

If you are interested in the history of the company, and other Sheffield steel giants, then this book is second to none

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steel-City-Entrepr...6598&sr=8-7

Its pricey, and only goes up to 1993, but the information contained in there is fantastic.

Do you remember the large , square, concrete building just to the side of the viaduct? Where the Meadowhall overspill / coach park is now. This was Osbourn Hadfields high energy x-ray facility which housed a linear accelerator.

this was the main building

this was the job we sent there for testing

Inside view

Guest craig3636

That is the Don on the other side of the wall, and yes, that bridge is till there. There is a good picture of the works in the thread about the Tinsley Cooling Towers.

If you are interested in the history of the company, and other Sheffield steel giants, then this book is second to none

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steel-City-Entrepr...6598&sr=8-7

Its pricey, and only goes up to 1993, but the information contained in there is fantastic.

thanks for that. i might invest in that book as it sounds interesting.

Guest craig3636

Do you remember the large , square, concrete building just to the side of the viaduct? Where the Meadowhall overspill / coach park is now. This was Osbourn Hadfields high energy x-ray facility which housed a linear accelerator.

this was the main building

this was the job we sent there for testing

Inside view

hi there, great pics, looks so modern for the time.

was this building near viaduct auto dismantlers or was it demolished before the scrapyard was there??

hi there, great pics, looks so modern for the time.

was this building near viaduct auto dismantlers or was it demolished before the scrapyard was there??

I'm pretty certain, and hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong, that this part of OH Founders continued on after the main factory was closed down in 1980. They continued under the name OH Hi-Tech, and were eventually owned by William Cook. When Meadowhall was under planning orders the site was sold, and the equipment moved to Cook's foundry at Penistone, which is still in operation today.

That was the Hadfields East Hecla Works matey.

It been bothering me for years - what was the Hecla works named after ? Searching the internet there were a number of HMS Hecla's but does anyone know if it is after this volcano?

ERUPTION OF MOUNT HECLA

After this frightful eruption, no serious volcanic disturbance took place in Iceland until 1845, when Mount Hecla again became disastrously active. Mount Hecla has been the most frequent in its eruptions of any of the Icelandic volcanoes. Previous to 1845 there had been twenty-two recorded eruptions of this mountain, since the discovery of Iceland in the ninth century; while from all the other volcanoes in the island there had been only twenty during the same period. Hecla has more than once remained in activity for six years at a time--a circumstance that has rendered it the best known of the volcanoes of this region.