Meadowhall - Before The Shops

Sheffield History

Does anyone remember what it was like down Meadowhall before the shopping centre ?

What was on the site for instance where the main dome of Meadowhall is ?

That was the Hadfields East Hecla Works matey. Here's a pic from before the viaduct was built. For more up to date pics....take a look at your 'I Didn't Know You Cared' thread, and the pictures taken from Tinsley Locks.

Hadfields was closed down in 1983 so that the Government could push through their Phoenix 2 plans for the steel industry. The sad thing is that it was profitable at the time of closure, but the powers that be decreed it had to go to safeguard other plants involved in Phoenix 2, such as Tinsley Park, Templeborough, and Stocksbridge......oh yeah...they've gone too now (almost)

Whenever we had gone away on the train as a kid I always knew we were back in Sheffield when we passed the big red 'Hadfields of Sheffield' sign that looked out onto Meadowhall Road.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgl/s11490.jpg

Picture courtesy of Picturesheffield.

Guest tsavo

Wow! That's a crackin' picture, 1steelCity2Another. Very atmospheric scene. Tell us there are others. Picturesheffield is a wonderful resource, one the city can be proud of.......and a warm welcome to Sheffield History.

Wow! That's a crackin' picture, 1steelCity2Another. Tell us there are others. Very atmospheric scene.....and a warm welcome to Sheffield History.

Yes, picturesheffield is a quality website, and wonderful way to look back at the city we love........even from afar

Basicly it was all factory's from the great Sheffield steel days. I believe "Ashlows" was the last buisness on the actual Meadow hall site.

Basicly it was all factory's from the great Sheffield steel days. I believe "Ashlows" was the last buisness on the actual Meadow hall site.

You could be right Mick, although if memory serves OH Hi-Tech, which was basically a small part of OH (Osborn-Hadfields) Founders (who closed in around 1978-79) was still there into around 1987, but they moved to William Cook's Penistone factory as Meadowhall took shape. I was working at Arthur Lee at Wincobank when they were pulling the East Hecla works down, and it was sad to see. As a kid both my parents worked at Firth Vickers on Weedon Street, so we were often round there as they were friends with the people who ran the Royal boozer on Carbrook Street, which is also long gone.

Not forgetting Edgar Allens on the other side of Vulcan Road.

...indeed, and also Howells, which was on Alsing Road just east of where the Meadowhall interchange is now.

Guest carlie167

Hadfields was one of the steelworks on the site now occupied by Meadowhall. These pictures were taken in March 84, when it had all but closed down. Very sad!

Guest craig3636

Hadfields was one of the steelworks on the site now occupied by Meadowhall. These pictures were taken in March 84, when it had all but closed down. Very sad!

great pics, what road is the second picture taken on?

Guest carlie167

:) :):) Sorry Craig, but I cant remember the name of the road. When we took the pictures it didnt seem that important, (theres a lesson there somewhere) I will try and find out and post later, ok. Welcome to the site, I hope you get as much enjoyment as I do, but be warned, its VERY addictive!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think picture 1 is of Vulcan Road from the Tinsley end. Roughly where the roundabout turn to Meadowhall from Tinsley is now.

Guest craig3636

Hi fellow SHs Here's a couple of photos during the building of the Tinsley Viaduct.

hi, i am very interested in hadfields and what it used to look like. i live on wincobank overlooking meadowhall and would like to see a pic took from up here.

these pics posted have a good view of hadfields looking from the south side of the viaduct.

i drive down alsing road quite a lot and often wonder what buildings were in the coach park.

some of the original wall is still there.

great pics, what road is the second picture taken on?

Meadowhall Road. Back in 1984 I worked at Arthur Lee down Wincobank, and used to get the bus back into town passing the East Hecla works as they were demolished. Very sad end to a company that was a legend of the Sheffield industrial scene.

hi, i am very interested in hadfields and what it used to look like. i live on wincobank overlooking meadowhall and would like to see a pic took from up here.

these pics posted have a good view of hadfields looking from the south side of the viaduct.

i drive down alsing road quite a lot and often wonder what buildings were in the coach park.

Hi craig3636 Found these supposedly of Aylsing Road does this help ??

An old one from before the Viaduct...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s00750.jpg

Guest craig3636

thanks for the reply's.

i thought the second pic was meadowhall rd, is the river don just behind the wall? also is that the same bridge in the far right of the pic that is still there now that has just been painted?

Hi craig3636 Found these supposedly of Aylsing Road does this help ??

Eeek it's a Pub, looks like "The Fox and Buggery" to my eyes, must get more rest. lol :blink:

Welcome to you Craig3636, just ignore me, everyone else does :unsure:;-)

Did someone say something? - i could swear someone was in this room - no? - I must be hearing things

Did someone say something? - i could swear someone was in this room - no? - I must be hearing things

Ain't nobody here but us chickens .... apparently ...

Guest craig3636

Welcome to you Craig3636, just ignore me, everyone else does :unsure:;-)

sorry about that. i was in a bit of a rush last post.

hope this thread carrys on as it is getting more interesting as more pics are posted.

im still undecided over that bridge in pic 2 though :huh:

sorry about that. i was in a bit of a rush last post.

hope this thread carrys on as it is getting more interesting as more pics are posted.

im still undecided over that bridge in pic 2 though :huh:

Don't worry, I've been here a while, take some doing to upset me lol was just a jest !