Shops opposite the Town Hall

Sheffield History

Not sure what you call the road but there's a strip of shops opposite the Town Hall

Let's see how many shops we can name that have occupied spots there..

The most famous may be Beatties that was there for seemingly years and I always remember going in and looking up at the track that had trains running round it

They had loads of airfix type models to buy as well as some remote control racers that they claimed could get home before you if it went at full speed

There was a camera shop that used to be there - I believe it was called Tecno ?

Also I remember a clothes shop that sold purely uniforms and accessories

There's been a few jewellers and cafe's over the years too

And the main corner shop opposite the Town Hall - I remember it being Game selling computer games..

Guest tsavo

By the little alley that runs down the side the old Odeon site, Bray Brothers, the last of Sheffield's 'Gentleman's Outfitters'. Closed late 1960s.

Wasn't "Iceland" the frozen food supermarket there at one time??

Before Iceland it used to be a Presto Supermarket I think. It depends how far you want to go back - my earliest memory would be the 50's when there was a deparment store there called Stewart & Stewart. Also a Kays shoes shop - at one time I am sure there use to be a Wimpy bar or something similar

The biuldings above the shops, have a name, is it Palatine Chambers ??? Begins with a P, David Blunkett and the like had office space up there.

The biuldings above the shops, have a name, is it Palatine Chambers ??? Begins with a P, David Blunkett and the like had office space up there.

Not sure about the 'front', but there's an entrance round the back (by Kingdom, where Odeon used to be) to 'Barkers Pool House' - David Blunkett had an office in there...

Guest tsavo

Pretty sure it's Paletine Chambers. Social Services had offices there in the 1970s. Watched the Lord Mayor's Parade from there. Great view!

Just to confuse things a little bit more..

Above the entrance to where you are discussing..

Google

"palatine chambers" +sheffield

gives 127 hits. I've seen the "Palatine Chambers" sign, it's above the shops at the corner of Barker's Pool, or it's an entrance half-way along the row of shops ...

So that's across the road from the town hall then ? Down to the Sally Army Citadel, the one with the pointy towers ? Whatever it is, it's at least four stories high judging by the adresses given !

Not sure what you call the road but there's a strip of shops opposite the Town Hall

Let's see how many shops we can name that have occupied spots there..

The most famous may be Beatties that was there for seemingly years and I always remember going in and looking up at the track that had trains running round it

Beaties was on the site that was once Macfisheries supermarket.

I remember a shop a few doors down from that towards town hall that sold electrical/electronic bits - stylii and valves, Sinclair/Mullard component hi-fi. Was there a Dunn & co?

Kays Shoes - and Jones too. I think Jones may have moved a couple of doors.