Sheffield Telegraph Street Directory and Guide

RichardB

Now, quite what they were doing printing this in 1943 I don't know; would be interesting to prove/disprove the dating which is based solely on the pencil marking on page one. Any thoughts/comments gratefully received.

Maybe someone could run it past The Star, see if they have any positive idea of date.

This is NOT a full scan, it runs to 166 pages and I've got better things to be doing than scan that lot, instead, here's the opening few pages, all of the adverts, puls the advertisers index and back page (back page has previously been posted in the War section) - 27 pages in all.

Although this (from the present day Turvey's website) at first seems a bit ambiguous, it places SA Turvey at Moorfoot in 1935 and at 47, Fargate by 1945.

It does however say 47, Fargate (as opposed to 58 as it says in the advert).

BUT - It also says progressed to 47, Fargate, inferring possibly more than one move.

Therefore, if she was bombed out of Moorfoot in 1940, moved to 58, Fargate for a while, and then moved to 47, Fargate at the end of the war. This puts her at 58, Fargate (The address in the advert) somewhere between 1940 and 1945.

Conclusion - 1943 is quite likely.

(47, Fargate is now the NEXT Shop. and 58 is DIXONS.)

"Present-day Turveys is actually an amalgamation of S.A.Turvey Ltd and Greaves & Harvey Ltd. Greaves & Harvey Ltd, retailers of household goods, was incorporated in January 1935 Corporation St, while S.A.Turvey Ltd was founded at about the same time and traded as furriers and milliners at Moorfoot, Sheffield.

Sarah Anne Turvey having been recently widowed needed to make a living so took the lease on a small shop and commenced the fur trade she had learnt from her father. No sooner had she become established when war broke out and shortly after her premises were destroyed in the blitz and all her stock lost.

She was determined to carry on and by the end of the war had progressed so well she had secured the prestigious premises at 47, Fargate, Sheffield. When one considers the privations of wartime Britain, the shortage of supplies and rationing, this was an enormous achievement."

Any comments ?

A strang concept these little books, Why, alright you look up a road, it tells you where abouts on another Rd it was, so if you don't know the 2nd rd you do another look up.

I have just bought a 1954 (50p) off EBAY, how long did these books continue.

On 09/06/2009 at 02:04, vox said:

Although this (from the present day Turvey's website) at first seems a bit ambiguous, it places SA Turvey at Moorfoot in 1935 and at 47, Fargate by 1945.

It does however say 47, Fargate (as opposed to 58 as it says in the advert).

BUT - It also says progressed to 47, Fargate, inferring possibly more than one move.

Therefore, if she was bombed out of Moorfoot in 1940, moved to 58, Fargate for a while, and then moved to 47, Fargate at the end of the war. This puts her at 58, Fargate (The address in the advert) somewhere between 1940 and 1945.

Conclusion - 1943 is quite likely.

(47, Fargate is now the NEXT Shop. and 58 is DIXONS.)

"Present-day Turveys is actually an amalgamation of S.A.Turvey Ltd and Greaves & Harvey Ltd. Greaves & Harvey Ltd, retailers of household goods, was incorporated in January 1935 Corporation St, while S.A.Turvey Ltd was founded at about the same time and traded as furriers and milliners at Moorfoot, Sheffield.

Sarah Anne Turvey having been recently widowed needed to make a living so took the lease on a small shop and commenced the fur trade she had learnt from her father. No sooner had she become established when war broke out and shortly after her premises were destroyed in the blitz and all her stock lost.

She was determined to carry on and by the end of the war had progressed so well she had secured the prestigious premises at 47, Fargate, Sheffield. When one considers the privations of wartime Britain, the shortage of supplies and rationing, this was an enormous achievement."

My grandmother was Sarah Turvey and I recall going to the shop at 58 Fargate in the early fifties. There was a sewing room in the basement and sales areas on the ground and first floors. My grandmothers office was at the rear on the ground floor. 

The shop was closed  when my father bought Greaves and Harvey Ltd in Rotherham in around 1954 or 1955 and the fur business continued in a very minor way at Rotherham for a short while. 58 Fargate was definitely the last shop premises in Sheffield - I think it became the Burnley Building Society afterwards . I know nothing of no 47 although I do recall that the business was bombed out in the blitz. 

On 09/06/2009 at 07:41, Stuart0742 said:

A strang concept these little books, Why, alright you look up a road, it tells you where abouts on another Rd it was, so if you don't know the 2nd rd you do another look up.

I have just bought a 1954 (50p) off EBAY, how long did these books continue.

I bought one new, the 1971/72 edition published by Morning Telegraph price 10p (2/-) No idea if they continued after this date. 

Have one that was my dad's that just says Sheffield Street Guide revised edition published by The Sheffield Telegraph and Daily Independent 4d.

It has a very small fold out plan with numbers and key to key buildings in City Centre. Hospitals, Cinemas (No. 15 Empire) and other buildings including No. 36 Norfolk Market and No. 40 Fruit Market between Dixon Lane and Exchange Street.

There are pages listing Public Buildings and Institutions with a few words identifying where it is or if you need to go by bus eg. Royal Hospital, West Street, five minutes walk from the Cathedral, or by Crookes or Walkey cars, or Fulwood (via Broomhill) motor bus. Lists Parks and facilities there and Washhouses

It also lists Tram Routes starting and destination. Motor Bus Services. Route No. Destination via and City Terminal. Parking places. 

Moor and Dale, listing rambles round Sheffield. Here there may be a clue in an adv... "The nineteenth edition of John Derry's guide published this year, gives clear and detailed descriptions with maps, of the 14 best walks on the moors near Sheffield.   "Across the Derbyshire Moors"   has been specially revised and brought up to date by  Mr G. H. B Ward. F. R. G.S., chairman of the Sheffield and District Ramblers Federation." price 1/-

Then it follows the format listing Street and Adverts like the one RichardB posted. 

Another clue to the date.            Last page: A Treat for the Week-end. Four pages of pictures, a page of illustrated humour, and many other outstanding features, make "The Weekly Telegraph" splendid value for 2d. Buy it on Saturday and make sure if having something interesting to read during the week-end. 

Would love to know the date of the Street Guide. 

After a bit of research discovered the newspaper title from 16th July 1934 to 29 October 1938 was Sheffield Telegraph.

From 31st October 1938 until 13th May 1939 titled Sheffield Telegraph & Daily Independant. 

15th May 1939 to 12 June 1942 titled Telegraph and Independent

Briefly from 14th June 1942 to 14th July 1942 titled Sheffield Telegraph and Independent. 

From 15th July 1942 to 14th September 1965 titled Sheffield Telegraph

The Weekly Telegraph published from 1887 to 1951

1 hour ago, Ponytail said:

After a bit of research discovered the newspaper title from 16th July 1934 to 29 October 1938 was Sheffield Telegraph.

From 31st October 1938 until 13th May 1939 titled Sheffield Telegraph & Daily Independant. 

15th May 1939 to 12 June 1942 titled Telegraph and Independent

Briefly from 14th June 1942 to 14th July 1942 titled Sheffield Telegraph and Independent. 

From 15th July 1942 to 14th September 1965 titled Sheffield Telegraph

The Weekly Telegraph published from 1887 to 1951

I would guess the publication was, like Trade Directories prepared months before so RichardB guide was probably purchased 1943. Mine published 1938 or early 1939. 

Thanks for the hard work RichardB….the result is a fascinating glimpse at the past.I recognise a few of the companies…especially Holman and Hartley from whom we bought all our dog food.

Just now, Ponytail said:

IMG_20221030_095536.thumb.jpg.c25d8f747176975db240c6870167f224.jpg

Thought I'd experiment. My word how this girls come on. 😂 Copied from 1938/9 Sheffield Street Guide published by The Sheffield Telegraph and Daily Independent. Will endeavour to put other pages on. Only have my phone to work with.

• Like 2

From 1938/9 Street Guide. For those born after 1960 don't think your area was being left out, it will have been well served by the tram or "car" as it was referred to in this publication. Buses were introduced to these routes in the last year's of the tram and I have memory of standing at Firth Park Terminus with mum waiting for whichever came first, bus or tram. I have the memory of having my hand clutched tightly if it was tram as we had to go out into the road some way from the pavement to get on the tram risking some vehicle coming in between the tram and pavement.IMG_20221030_100701.thumb.jpg.0302d37e6e4e7ec3b05c36c01a650b44.jpg

Some of the bus routes had the same number years later…eg 150/151…Shiregreen.

Fascinating…I like the section detailing places to park a car. Thanks for the work, Ponytail!

37 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

IMG_20221030_143513.thumb.jpg.95953cfb8316e23f5e701ecf6a8fedef.jpg

The consent to park without lights, prompted a memory. In the 1950's, on the occasion he was parking on a certain street in the dark, dad used to fit a temporary small light to the car window.. white one way and red the other to alert other road users. Can't remember when this practise stopped.