Leyland Atlantean 1737

GrinderBloke

Guest bus man

I seem to think that we traced this to 1963 but cant remember the full details you will note that it is the first edition interesting thaat until then they didnt feel it was nesesary to publish one

Guest littlemalc

I was a young driver at Greenland when 1357 had the fire at Manor Top, the devastation was amazing to see, it was the first time that I have seen the result of aluminium actually burned, apparently, if the heat is great enough, the magnesium content of the alloy used, burns like a phosphorus bomb, and generates huge amounts of heat, many metal components were just melted beyond recognition.

An order was passed out very quickly to all staff, that no one should be allowed to board a bus carrying fuel of any sort in future, so legislation is made!

Guest bus man

Sorry that the following image is a bit modern for this forum however it shows the heat spot as mentioned above

think that carry inflamible liquids was prohibited since the beining of time on buses/ trams / trains

Guest transit

I was a young driver at Greenland when 1357 had the fire at Manor Top, the devastation was amazing to see, it was the first time that I have seen the result of aluminium actually burned, apparently, if the heat is great enough, the magnesium content of the alloy used, burns like a phosphorus bomb, and generates huge amounts of heat, many metal components were just melted beyond recognition.

An order was passed out very quickly to all staff, that no one should be allowed to board a bus carrying fuel of any sort in future, so legislation is made!

...heres a pic of the resultant damage, pictured just inside the Central Works, Queens Rd (pic1) - so much that it had to be re-bodied to the "newer" style design , and has survived into preservation at Sandtoft (pic2) taken last year.

Guest bus man

Note the track and the fact that there is no coat of arms in the cw photo.

To the best of my knowledge this is still the worst fire damage to a double deck bus in sheffield

Guest transit

Sorry that the following image is a bit modern for this forum however it shows the heat spot as mentioned above

think that carry inflamible liquids was prohibited since the beining of time on buses/ trams / trains

....heres the link to your picture Busman ...http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/EditorialGallery.aspx?ArticleID=4200851&SectionID=58

Close - but no cigar! There were actually two buses painted all-over silver to celebrate the Queens silver jubilee (25yrs) in 1977 . The first one was Bristol VR11 no.271 - OWE 271K , which had a light blue waist band and carried same coloured adverts on the side for Debenhams . On the rear engine cover was the large Radio Hallam logo . This bus was in the Lord Mayors parade with balloons and large Debenhams banner under the windscreen. The second bus was in fact a Daimler Fleetline no.229 - HWB 229J , which had the more regal purple waist band. This carried side adverts for Freemans shopping catalogue - the word Freemans printed in union jack style lettering . About 20 or 30 other double-deckers had large fibreglass royal coat of arms fastened to their front panels below the windscreen as part of the celebrations! Both the silver buses were painted into SYPTE coffee and cream in 1978. Interestingly Bristol 271 has been restored back to original Sheffield Transport colours as when delivered new in 1972 - and is on display at Wythall Bus Museum , Birmingham . Curiously no local buses were painted gold to celebrate the Golden Jubilee (50yrs) back in 2002 .

I have the original rear number plate off HWB229J and it still has traces of the purple paint on the back. (AL27)

Guest Atlantean

I have the original rear number plate off HWB229J and it still has traces of the purple paint on the back. (AL27)

Both the jubilee buses were painted by Greater Manchester PTE under contract to Primesight and were spray painted. Both 229 and 271 were painted with a purple band, 271 being sponsered by Debanhams was repainted into light blue, their house colours. Whilst under retoration traces of the purple band was found.

On 30/04/2009 at 21:13, transit said:

...heres a pic of the resultant damage, pictured just inside the Central Works, Queens Rd (pic1) - so much that it had to be re-bodied to the "newer" style design , and has survived into preservation at Sandtoft (pic2) taken last year

Quite spectacular, I was going the other way at the time working route 95, I think, for overtime (suet). I don't think that even before this we would knowingly have let someone bring a can of petrol on board but a few  passengers showed a lack of common sense, I remember in the 60's I was a conductor and a bloke wanted to thread a ladder up inside a back loader on route 13, he was quite put out that I wouldn't let him.