Leyland Atlantean 1737

GrinderBloke

A very clean Leyland Atlantean no 1737 from Greenland Road depot. Repainted in Sheffield City Transport livery, I cannot recall why. It would have been new to SYPTE in 1979 so would not have originally carried SCT livery.

Same location as the single decker picture from earlier ?

I think this was somewhere off East Bank Road, maybe Arbourthorne Rd... after all this time I cannot recall the number 51 route details

Guest transit

A very clean Leyland Atlantean no 1737 from Greenland Road depot. Repainted in Sheffield City Transport livery, I cannot recall why. It would have been new to SYPTE in 1979 so would not have originally carried SCT livery.

The bus was repainted in 1999 back to the superb Sheffield Transport livery , to commemorate 25 years since the takeover of South Yorkshire PTE - Yes that long! (1974) - and the rather bland new livery of Coffee and Cream - which wasnt very popular at the time , although rather nostalgic now! Also Rotherham painted a double -decker to their previous livery. In 2004 a single deck Volvo (841 - T841 MAK ) was painted back into Sheffield Transport colours to commemorate 30 years! This bus was reguarly used on route 51 Lodge Moor , and a souvinir model is still available at Collectors Choice at Meadowhall or on Ebay. ( around £18 ) Again Rotherham did a single deck to thier original livery possibly Doncaster as well - although they are now painted back into First "Barbie" colours.

This photo was taken in 1982.

I know another Atlantean was painted in a spacial livery for the queens silver jubilee in 1977... possibly Sheffield Transport colours + purple band, could this have been the same vehicle after loosing its silver jubilee livery?

Doh! this vehicle wasn't introduced until 1979, so that theory is blown out of the water.

I must read posts before posting

etc...

Guest transit

This photo was taken in 1982.

I know another Atlantean was painted in a spacial livery for the queens silver jubilee in 1977... possibly Sheffield Transport colours + purple band, could this have been the same vehicle after loosing its silver jubilee livery?

Doh! this vehicle wasn't introduced until 1979, so that theory is blown out of the water.

etc...

Close - but no cigar! There were actually two buses painted all-over silver to celebrate the Queens silver jubilee (25yrs) in 1977 . The first one was Bristol VR11 no.271 - OWE 271K , which had a light blue waist band and carried same coloured adverts on the side for Debenhams . On the rear engine cover was the large Radio Hallam logo . This bus was in the Lord Mayors parade with balloons and large Debenhams banner under the windscreen. The second bus was in fact a Daimler Fleetline no.229 - HWB 229J , which had the more regal purple waist band. This carried side adverts for Freemans shopping catalogue - the word Freemans printed in union jack style lettering . About 20 or 30 other double-deckers had large fibreglass royal coat of arms fastened to their front panels below the windscreen as part of the celebrations! Both the silver buses were painted into SYPTE coffee and cream in 1978. Interestingly Bristol 271 has been restored back to original Sheffield Transport colours as when delivered new in 1972 - and is on display at Wythall Bus Museum , Birmingham . Curiously no local buses were painted gold to celebrate the Golden Jubilee (50yrs) back in 2002 .

Thanks for jogging the old memory, I recall the buses being painted silver now and the powder blue waist band.

Oh to ride a proper Sheffield bus again.

Not a Atlantean, but with a very similar body........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/hjdary/P5016520.jpg

Seen at Sandtoft.

This Fleetline has a bit of history.

One night a passenger on the top deck was returning to his car which had ran out of petrol with a container of four star which caught fire near the Embasy at Manor Top/ Elm Tree

It was rebodied and returned to service and now resides at Sandtoft

Guest transit

Not a Atlantean, but with a very similar body........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/hjdary/P5016520.jpg

Seen at Sandtoft.

This Fleetline has a bit of history.

One night a passenger on the top deck was returning to his car which had ran out of petrol with a container of four star which caught fire near the Embasy at Manor Top/ Elm Tree

It was rebodied and returned to service and now resides at Sandtoft

TRUE STORY - WRONG BUS! The bus which caught fire was 1357 -657 BWB ( NEW IN 1962) , which was rebodied to facelift 1968 Park Royal style after the fire . A superb picture can be seen at www.sandtoft.org , where 754 (WWJ 754M) is also stored. ITS claim to fame is that it was the very last of its batch to be delivered brand new in the superb Sheffield Transport livery ,before takeover of SYPTE , in 1974. Subsequent new vehicles arrived in coffee and cream. - note the white steering wheel - and the upstairs " periscope " so the driver could see how full the upstairs was . Young kids would use this as a steering wheel and pretend to drive the bus !

Ah..I most have seen the picture and then the vehicle and put the two together by mistake!

I'll have been payin too much attention to my camera and not enough to the vehicles!!

Guest plain talker

I would say, looking at the terrain, and the style of the houses that are just in shot, that the shot was taken definitely on the Arbourthorne, either on Eastern Avenue, near the bottom of Arbourthorne Road, or, a few hundred yards further on, by the bus stop on the corner of Arbourthorne Road and East Bank Road.

Guest bus man

1737 Photo

The Photo was taken at the top of East Bank Road the bus is just about to turn off Arbourthorne road into East Bank Rd to head towards Manor Top.

It will turn off before it gets there.

The bus had only been out shopped that week it had yet to receive its Rotherham open day adverts – see below

The inspector has stopped the bus , to tell the driver that there will be a number of bus photographers waiting for him to turn left.

The bus photographers have come off the Swift tour. I cant remember if this was a planned photo stop or the inspector and driver were “persuaded ” to stop - I can not find the photo referred to above – the only swift photo I could find on this forum is the top of Rutland road

Why 1737 in that livery?

The Pte had spent a considerable amount of money building a new , state of the art bus garage at Midland Road Rotherham this would replace the old Rotherham Corp premises on Rawmarsh Road.

To celebrate & promote this event an open day was held , and each district (Rotherham , Sheffield & Doncaster) were instructed to paint a Roe bodied AN68 in a old livery .

We would now call this a retro livery

Sheffield contribution was 1737

Rotherham did a Roe/ AN68 in bus livery however , the Rotherham Transport lettering did at one time say Rotherham District it was changed .

Rotherham also did a dominator in trolley bus livery,

Doncaster did a Alexander bodied AN68 in bus livery and a dominator (2214)in tram livery, this livery is rather ornate.

Doncaster trams went in 1935.

This latter bus is presevered

SILVER JUBILLEE

Fleetline 229 first appeared with a purple stripe as this was the standard silver jubilee livery , it was repainted at the request of Debenhams whose house colour was light blue.

If any one has photos of 229 with purple stripe I would love to see them

271 disgraced its self when in silver jubilee livery: a photo shoot had been planned on the Moor with 271 as the backdrop the idea was to have Debenhams staff posed with the bus behind.

271 was duly cleaned and despatched from herries road garage – it got to pinstone street and failed – the photo shoot was switched to another day

No operator did any golden jubillee buses however reading did and they sent one to the Sandtoft gathering where it was posed next to a reading trolley bus which was in jubillee livery or may be coronation livery - I cant remember and cant find the photo

754/1357

Correct regarding the fire etc.

1357 was used as a test for several experimental liveries at Rutland Road paint shop it ended up in white / red livery this was not carried on service buses. 1357 was repainted brown and cream and went into the driving school

I hope that this information is of use

Guest transit

Thanks for jogging the old memory, I recall the buses being painted silver now and the powder blue waist band.

This is a picture of the jubilee bus with the blue band , 271 , sponsored by Debenhams , passing the Cathedral. Another bus -Atlantean 229 - was also painted silver but with a purple band , and sponsored by Freemans (catalogues). 271 is preserved and now carries the standard ,well loved,Sheff Trans blue and cream.

Guest transit

This is a picture of the jubilee bus with the blue band , 271 , sponsored by Debenhams , passing the Cathedral. Another bus -Atlantean 229 - was also painted silver but with a purple band , and sponsored by Freemans (catalogues). 271 is preserved and now carries the standard ,well loved,Sheff Trans blue and cream.

Guest transit

to quote your second comment.....look what was giving free rides through the village at Sandtoft last weekend! I used to catch this bus to school 30+ years ago!!!! :o lol

Guest wayney g

Sorry folks just found this the bus originaly in question is definitly not a atlean looks like a fleetline (daimler) to me

oh & i remember the silver jubillee bus !was apprentice at central works at time

any one else prepared to admit they worked for sypte

sad i know but learnt loads from the old "boys" there

Wont ever forget them (good times) & the old boys

Guest transit
Sorry about the quality of pics- (schoolkid!) but you may just make out the other "jubilee bus " running around Sheffield in "77.-- surely busman can better these?? ;-)

Guest bus man

The following may cause transit to have a heart attack:

I cant better those I started with a real camera in 1979 so I missed the jubillee buses - sorry

Guest tsavo

The following may cause transit to have a heart attack:

I cant better those I started with a real camera in 1979 so I missed the jubillee buses - sorry

Can't do too much with them, but tweaked them a bit.

Guest transit

Can't do too much with them, but tweaked them a bit.

Thanks for that tvaso , while still on the "jubilee" theme, heres what several standard buses were adorned with during the year.....

Hi. I drove Sheffield buses for over 25 years and was on the private hire board. The bus in question 1737 was driven by me to the Sandtoft gathering in 1982 in its freshly painted STD livery. And yes, it was a Leyland Atlantean. Regards, ex Driver 3002 Herries Road.

Guest transit

Hi. I drove Sheffield buses for over 25 years and was on the private hire board. The bus in question 1737 was driven by me to the Sandtoft gathering in 1982 in its freshly painted STD livery. And yes, it was a Leyland Atlantean. Regards, ex Driver 3002 Herries Road.

....here it is alongside the "standard" liveried (at that time) SYPTE 1740. Note that the cream used was exactly the same for both Sheffield Transport and SYPTE - AS THIS PHOTO PROVES! - hopefully proving what an employed coach painter once told me back in the mid 70's.

Guest transit

Anyone know what year this would have been

.....even though the bus featured was in service from late 1959 , i think the route map would be around 64 - 65 as the timetables out then had the same cover on the front.