The Price of Beer & Petrol & Mrs Miggins Pies

DaveH

With the price of petrol (and Diesel) going up rapidly again just as it did last summer, already hovering around the £1 per litre mark here is a little challenge.

1]

Which garage / service station in Sheffield is selling the cheapest petrol and Diesel?

2]

Which garage / service station in Sheffield should be named and shamed in this thread for selling the most extortionately expensive petrol and Diesel?

I usually fill up in Derbyshire where I can get petrol a few pence cheaper then our local garages, - so its over to you to find them.

With the price of petrol (and Diesel) going up rapidly again just as it did last summer, already hovering around the £1 per litre mark here is a little challenge.

1]

Which garage / service station in Sheffield is selling the cheapest petrol and Diesel?

2]

Which garage / service station in Sheffield should be named and shamed in this thread for selling the most extortionately expensive petrol and Diesel?

I usually fill up in Derbyshire where I can get petrol a few pence cheaper then our local garages, - so its over to you to find them.

Try this site, you register, then tell what area you live in and they send you an email every week with the cheapest petrol in your area

www.petrolprices.com.

closest cheap petrol to S17 is Sainsbury's 96.9p, so they say

Try this site, you register, then tell what area you live in and they send you an email every week with the cheapest petrol in your area

www.petrolprices.com.

closest cheap petrol to S17 is Sainsbury's 96.9p, so they say

Hmm....

It was an idea to try and get people posting again but this sort of defeats the challenge before we start :angry:

We need some other overpriced commodity to run the challenge on <_<

GOT IT!!!

NEW SHOPPING CHALLENGE

Which public house in Sheffield:-

1]

Sells the cheapest beer (price per pint, regular price only, no "happy hour" promotional prices)

2]

Sells the most expensive beer

Last night a pint of Stones cost us £1.95, but I think a pint of Samuel Smiths in the Old Mother Redcap is a lot cheaper.

Anyway, thats the challenge to SH members, get out there in the pubs buying and drinking the beer and report back to this beer shopping thread on how much it costs and where.

Hmm....

It was an idea to try and get people posting again but this sort of defeats the challenge before we start :angry:

We need some other overpriced commodity to run the challenge on <_<

GOT IT!!!

NEW SHOPPING CHALLENGE

Which public house in Sheffield:-

1]

Sells the cheapest beer (price per pint, regular price only, no "happy hour" promotional prices)

2]

Sells the most expensive beer

Last night a pint of Stones cost us £1.95, but I think a pint of Samuel Smiths in the Old Mother Redcap is a lot cheaper.

Anyway, thats the challenge to SH members, get out there in the pubs buying and drinking the beer and report back to this beer shopping thread on how much it costs and where.

Do you have to drink a pint 1st, you can't just go in to a boozer and ask the price

I will do West st and Division st tomorrow night lol

Not compulsory but it helps lol

Need a bit of help if this works out Stuart.

How do I change the title of this thread from "The price of petrol" to "The price of beer"?

Need a bit of help if this works out Stuart.

How do I change the title of this thread from "The price of petrol" to "The price of beer"?

Edit your 1st post

Edit your 1st post

I take it RichardB has already done this for me.

Editing the first post doesn't work as it doesn't give you access to the thread title only some "poll options"

I take it RichardB has already done this for me.

Editing the first post doesn't work as it doesn't give you access to the thread title only some "poll options"

It works for me <_< I added the beer bit, I thought it should work for you

It works for me <_< I added the beer bit, I thought it should work for you

I take it Richard has added the Mrs. Miggins pies bit, - so how much do they cost?

Filled up with fuel tonight at Redhouse Service Station just off junction 29 of the M1 (Heath)

Cost me 99.9p per litre.

I think this is a fairly standard price now.

Going out later this evening for a meal in Chesterfield,

I'm driving so won't get to find out how much beer costs (DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE, - you could spill some)

I have still to locate our nearest Mrs. Miggins Pie Shoppe.

Filled up with fuel tonight at Redhouse Service Station just off junction 29 of the M1 (Heath)

Cost me 99.9p per litre.

I think this is a fairly standard price now.

Going out later this evening for a meal in Chesterfield,

I'm driving so won't get to find out how much beer costs (DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE, - you could spill some)

I have still to locate our nearest Mrs. Miggins Pie Shoppe.

Cheapest price currently spotted on the Arbourthorne for petrol

Pearl Motors, East Bank Road, price 98.9p per litre

Please bear in mind that what some pubs are selling as "cheap beer" is very likely to be a pint of coloured, alchoholic chemicals produced by the big brewing conglomerates.

Proper beer will be more expensive and rightly so.

Re the petrol - With the odd exeption I would imagine that this would come down to a comparrison between supermarkets. That's not far off all that's left since they've already forced dozens of filling stations out of bussiness with their loss leader tactics. Fortunately for me the nearby Jet station is still on the go, otherwise I'd probably be forced into buying my fuel at Tesco or the like.

(Soapbox returned to hut.) :)

Please bear in mind that what some pubs are selling as "cheap beer" is very likely to be a pint of coloured, alchoholic chemicals produced by the big brewing conglomerates.

Re the petrol - With the odd exeption I would imagine that this would come down to a comparrison between supermarkets. That's not far off all that's left since they've already forced dozens of filling stations out of bussiness with their loss leader tactics. Fortunately for me the nearby Jet station is still on the go, otherwise I'd probably be forced into buying my fuel at Tesco or the like.

{Removes soap boxfrom vox's hut}

Depends where you drink. I feel sure that in some pubs the beer is watered down and probably contains left overs and slops. I know this would be illegal but in some pubs that's what the current beer tastes like.

Since reporting that Redhouse was selling petrol at 99p only a couple of weeks ago it is now 103p, 4p in 2 weeks, but a rise in line with other petrol stations in the area.

{Soapbox returned to Vox's hut}

{Removes soap boxfrom vox's hut}

Depends where you drink. I feel sure that in some pubs the beer is watered down and probably contains left overs and slops. I know this would be illegal but in some pubs that's what the current beer tastes like.

Since reporting that Redhouse was selling petrol at 99p only a couple of weeks ago it is now 103p, 4p in 2 weeks, but a rise in line with other petrol stations in the area.

{Soapbox returned to Vox's hut}

I paid 111.9p for diesel today (not in Sheffield), I did not want to but the car made me, due to a sticking fuel gauge.

Location to avoid Services at the M18/M180 Junction

With an extra 2p added to fuel duty on 1st. September and other small rises in oil prices over the summer it looks like fuel prices are set to rocket again.

The Jet station you mention was built on the site of Stanleys garage. In the 70s it was a Citroen main dealer, the only brand new car I have ever owned came from there priced £1850, a Citroen Dyane on August 1st 1978. Oh, and petrol was ? W/E.

The petrol station is Meadowhead and it looks like 1994 seems favourite for the year.

I have just done a bit of searching and for those interested, try this site http://www.ukpia.com/fuel_prices_historic_data.aspx

but here are a few of there relevant pdf documents on historic petrol prices

1902___1994.pdf

1995___1999.pdf

2000___2007.pdf

People think I'm daft for keeping records of fuel prices <_<

Turns out there are people running websites devoted to it :unsure:

and Stuart's daft enough to log onto them lol

Didn't I have a thread somewhere (link fairy) about the cost of fuel, something else and Mrs Miggins pies??

Not sure where this petrol station is but, as I keep records of all my spending on fuel going back to 1978 I can confirm that the price of 1 litre of unleaded fuel was arond the 50p per litre mark in 1994, - so I'm with you on the date Stuart ;-)

However, - there have been ups and downs in the price so it could be a garage selling at inflated prices during a fuel shortage (not likely to be a special extra cheap discount price though as there are no car queueing up for miles to buy it).

Also in times of shortage some individual garages have charged highly inflated prices.

Hi `DaveH` From your records, can you quote me the price of petrol for August 1978. W/E.

Hi `DaveH` From your records, can you quote me the price of petrol for August 1978. W/E.

Stuart quotes 80p from the web site he is using.

This must be 80p per GALLON as it is otherwise actually more expensive than the 1994 price of around 50p, but that is per LITRE.

My records for 1978 (they actually start in May 1978 and the first 17 years are in a ledger book and not on a computer spreadsheet) indicate that the cost per litre was 17p, which works out at 77p per gallon, - close to Stuarts value of 80p.

Actually I have always recorded fuel by the unit sold (gallon / litre), then converted to gallons to work out an mpg figure (rather than miles per litre, - don't like mixed units, km per litre makes more sense but mpg has more meaning to me, being British.)

Fuel appears to have been sold by the gallon until around 1982 and then by the litre after that.

This coincides nicely with the cost of petrol going above £1 per gallon.

So that motorists would not be put off by the money figure increasing more rapidly than the amount of fuel as they filled up, a change to selling by the litre, a smaller volume, meant that once again the amount of fuel went up rapidly as the cost went up reasuringly at a more leisurely rate.

It doesn't work today though now that petrol costs more than £1 per litre. :angry:

What are they going to do to try and reassure us next, - sell it by the thimbleful lol

Stuart quotes 80p from the web site he is using.

This must be 80p per GALLON as it is otherwise actually more expensive than the 1994 price of around 50p, but that is per LITRE.

My records for 1978 (they actually start in May 1978 and the first 17 years are in a ledger book and not on a computer spreadsheet) indicate that the cost per litre was 17p, which works out at 77p per gallon, - close to Stuarts value of 80p.

Actually I have always recorded fuel by the unit sold (gallon / litre), then converted to gallons to work out an mpg figure (rather than miles per litre, - don't like mixed units, km per litre makes more sense but mpg has more meaning to me, being British.)

Fuel appears to have been sold by the gallon until around 1982 and then by the litre after that.

This coincides nicely with the cost of petrol going above £1 per gallon.

So that motorists would not be put off by the money figure increasing more rapidly than the amount of fuel as they filled up, a change to selling by the litre, a smaller volume, meant that once again the amount of fuel went up rapidly as the cost went up reasuringly at a more leisurely rate.

It doesn't work today though now that petrol costs more than £1 per litre. :angry:

What are they going to do to try and reassure us next, - sell it by the thimbleful lol

Now we are at the £1.10p a litre mark or there abouts this equated to £5.00 a gallon, you will be telling me soon that crisps are 10 bob a packet in pubs <_<

Now we are at the £1.10p a litre mark or there abouts this equated to £5.00 a gallon, you will be telling me soon that crisps are 10 bob a packet in pubs <_<

Crisps at ten bob a packet :o

They were advertised at that in the Foxwood last Wednesday night ;-)

and it almost made out that it was a "special offer" price :blink:

People think I'm daft for keeping records of fuel prices <_<

Turns out there are people running websites devoted to it :unsure:

and Stuart's daft enough to log onto them lol

Didn't I have a thread somewhere (link fairy) about the cost of fuel, something else and Mrs Miggins pies??

HI If its of any use to your records the price of petrol in 1940 was 11 pence [a gallon] in Sheffield. Skeets

HI If its of any use to your records the price of petrol in 1940 was 11 pence [a gallon] in Sheffield. Skeets

Nice one Skeets, Thank you.

Did people think the price was outrageous back then ?

"When it hits a Shilling I'll go back to walking ..."

Were there many people driving in 1940; how common were cars in Sheffield ?

I suppose the same questions apply to both pre- and -post-war.

How much were 20 Woodbines ?