AEC Swift end of service tour

GrinderBloke

Way back in 1982 SYPTE (or was it just keen SYPTE staff) organised a tour around the old stomping grounds of the AEC Swift, the photo depicts no54 from East Bank garage running on the inner circle 8 route.

The tour actually operated as a additional service running after the service bus (normal low fares applied, rather than the cost of hiring a bus), much amusement was cause when someone who had missed the service bus had to be pictured up by the tour.

Balloons and trimmings were added at the Harmer Lane lunch stop, a party atmosphere prevailed during the afternoon.

Cannot recall the location of this photo stop at the Sheffield City Transport sign, maybe the top of Rutland Road

Another cracking picture

Love the colours of the bus but also the bustop too !

Familiarising myself with the scanner now :)

I know know why I was an early adopter of digital ;)

Familiarising myself with the scanner now :)

I know know why I was an early adopter of digital ;)

Are you taking your images of slides? If so what kind of scanner are you using?

Are you taking your images of slides? If so what kind of scanner are you using?

Its a Plustek film scanner, just bought it after I discovered my old faithful Nikon Coolscan had scanned its last.

One of the things that the bus-stop picture has shown is that sometimes it's the little things in the pictures that trigger memories more than the main focus of the shot !

Guest transit

Way back in 1982 SYPTE (or was it just keen SYPTE staff) organised a tour around the old stomping grounds of the AEC Swift, the photo depicts no54 from East Bank garage running on the inner circle 8 route.

The tour actually operated as a additional service running after the service bus (normal low fares applied, rather than the cost of hiring a bus), much amusement was cause when someone who had missed the service bus had to be pictured up by the tour.

Balloons and trimmings were added at the Harmer Lane lunch stop, a party atmosphere prevailed during the afternoon.

Cannot recall the location of this photo stop at the Sheffield City Transport sign, maybe the top of Rutland Road

This actual bus ( 54 - DWB 54H ) is undergoing restoration at the Sheffield Bus Museum , back to original Sheffield Transport blue and cream livery . - PLEASE NOTE , THE SHEFFIELD BUS MUSEUM EXHIBITS AT TINSLEY TRAM DEPOT ARE CURRENTLY BEING MOVED TO NEW LARGER PREMISES AT ALDWALKE, ROTHERHAM - TO BE CALLED "SOUTH YORKSHIRE TRANSPORT MUSEUM " SPECIAL OPEN DAYS ARE PLANNED THROUGHOUT THE YEAR - THE FIRST BEING THE INAUGURAL OPEN DAY ON SUN APRIL 8th 2007. Certainly worth a visit for anyone with local transport interest from days gone by.

Im sure that you're right, that is the top of Rutland road...the green on the LHS is just before you turn on to Cooks Wood Road

Cracking shot by the way!!

Guest bus man

The "tour " was a service run because it didnt have a tacho so there fore couldnt be done as a hire it had to be on service

Guest transit

The "tour " was a service run because it didnt have a tacho so there fore couldnt be done as a hire it had to be on service

This "tour" was to commemorate the LAST ever AEC BUS. AEC had supplied Sheffield with vehicles for over 50 years and this bus , (54) was the last of the batch delivered new ,to be finally withdrawn in 1982, thus warranting a "final tour"of its old stomping grounds. The same bus is currently undergoing restoration. Most Sheffielders will remember this bus (or simuler)for being on routes 51, 8+9 ect ,and same vehicles -but with centre doors as well- on the original City Clipper routes (mid 70"s) -before the Bendibuses came in and took over.

Guest transit

This "tour" was to commemorate the LAST ever AEC bus. AEC had supplied Sheffield with vehicles for over 50 years and this bus , (54) was the last of the batch delivered new ,to be finally withdrawn in 1982, thus warranting a "final tour"of its old stomping grounds. The same bus is currently undergoing restoration. Most Sheffielders will remember this bus (or simuler)for being on routes 51, 8+9 ect ,and same vehicles -but with centre doors as well- on the original City Clipper routes (mid 70"s) -before the Bendibuses came in and took over.

Just forgot to mention -this tour -was on 22 July 1982 - hence the yellow board plus balloons ect, on the front of the bus on the very first post/pic on this post.

Guest transit

Just forgot to mention -this tour -was on 22 July 1982 - hence the yellow board plus balloons ect, on the front of the bus on the very first post/pic on this post.

The yellow board was usually the green background , and white lettered "CITY CLIPPER" with single decker bus stencil on the left (mid 70"s) ..... i"ll get my anorak.......

Guest bus man

I think you will find the yellow board was a new one it was not the back of a clipper it ws made in central works the same style was used for the end of the Jumbo's, 112, etc the one used on 2120 on the last day of dominators was based on the above boards . i can not remember if the swift board still exists

Guest transit

just adding to my post ... heres the souvinir booklet which was from the tour...

The tour actually took place on Saturday 17th July 1982. Thursday 22nd July 1982 was the date certification to operate expired, As the souvenir booklet was produced prior to the tour there was no guarantee that 54 would not be used in service after the tour so the planned official withdrawal date was quoted, Not sure whether 54 was used after the 17th but at the time SYPTE were not flush for buses and there was a national rail strike which was not helping.

Those who visited Midland Road Open Day last year may recall that a 'seminar' picture was displayed of the tour which is included here thanks to Paul Fox. A lot of debate has taken place subsequently as to the names of the various characters depicted. So far names have been put to around half of them. Notably, we still do not have names for the Driver and Inspector. If you can identify yourself or someone in the picture and have not yet been in touch with Paul or myself it would please do so or leave a comment here.

We have a version of the picture showing names which could be added with the permission of the moderator. Could the moderator confirm whether this is permissible as obviously some of those named will not be aware of the picture.

We have a version of the picture showing names which could be added with the permission of the moderator. Could the moderator confirm whether this is permissible as obviously some of those named will not be aware of the picture.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't post an image with the names displayed.

Thanks for asking.

Below is the 'seminar' picture with the names of those so far identified included. Please get in touch if you are one of those not yet identified or can put a name to any of those not identified. Several of those identified are well known local enthusiasts. It would though be fascinating to know what some of the others are up to these days a third of a century later.   

AEC Swift Last Day 192-07-17 seminar with names.jpg

It is planned that Paul Fox will have the same display he mounted at the Midland Road Open Day in 2014 dusted off and displayed at the South Yorkshire Transport Trust Open Day this coming Sunday (22nd July) http://www.sytt.org.uk/summer-open-day  Paul will be very pleased to receive leads regarding the identifications of those still to be identified in the photograph. 

On 15/04/2015 at 21:13, Peter Hall said:

Below is the 'seminar' picture with the names of those so far identified included. Please get in touch if you are one of those not yet identified or can put a name to any of those not identified. Several of those identified are well known local enthusiasts. It would though be fascinating to know what some of the others are up to these days a third of a century later.   

AEC Swift Last Day 192-07-17 seminar with names.jpg

John Beal is Q1 !