Commercial Street Buses

GrinderBloke

Not a great photo, show SYPTE buses on Commercial Street with the old gas showroom, which by this time 1980ish had become a nightclub, the name completely escapes me :(

If I can get the scanner working properly I will improve the scan and repost.

Can anyone recommend a decent light box for viewing slides and negatives, I loaned my rather posh battery powered flat cool (doesn't warm up the film) jobbie to a friend and I cannot raise him on the phone now I need it :( Looking at load of negatives and slide in natural light is hurting my neck and I want to get stuff posted.

Guest transit

Superb shot of the main bus stop to and from Rotherham for Sheffielders - route 69 , on Commercial Street. This view now obscured by Ponds Forge leisure complex. Even the drab SYPTE bus livery seems rather nostalgic . The nightclub is currently a Chinese restaurant after undergoing restoration during 90s.

Guest plain talker

The nightclub was called "Turnups" advertised with the dreadfully cheesy jingle, that was played on Radio Hallam which went :-

"Turn up at turn-ups... to- night!"

The photo has intrigued me. I had forgotten that he shop which is now jessops photo/ camera shop was a building society!

Guest mega_monty

The nightclub was called "Turnups" advertised with the dreadfully cheesy jingle, that was played on Radio Hallam which went :-

"Turn up at turn-ups... to- night!"

The photo has intrigued me. I had forgotten that he shop which is now jessops photo/ camera shop was a building society!

Trying to work out what building society it is, Barnsley ?

Not a great photo, show SYPTE buses on Commercial Street with the old gas showroom, which by this time 1980ish had become a nightclub, the name completely escapes me

If I can get the scanner working properly I will improve the scan and repost.

Can anyone recommend a decent light box for viewing slides and negatives, I loaned my rather posh battery powered flat cool (doesn't warm up the film) jobbie to a friend and I cannot raise him on the phone now I need it Looking at load of negatives and slide in natural light is hurting my neck and I want to get stuff posted.

I can't remember the club but i have found a photo of the Sheffield Gas Light Company Offices from 1900 with thanks to picture sheffield

Guest Angus Prune

Recon its before 1976 anyone got any other ideas of a date

The bus on the far right looks to me like a "DM"-style Daimler Fleetline, which would date it any time after about 1975.

Guest transit

The bus on the far right looks to me like a "DM"-style Daimler Fleetline, which would date it any time after about 1975.

The DMS style Fleetlines were delivered in 77 and several carried a large Royal Coat of Arms fibreglass crest mounted below the windscreen to commemorate the Queens silver jubilee that year. The bus on the far right does"nt look new ,convincing me the photo was taken around 1980-81 as MrG says at the very beginning of this post. All the buses also carry the newer revised name/logo above the doors.

Guest coolmo

I absolutely love this pic, thanks for posting, its great looking back in time, it always gets my mind wondering where i was and what i was doing when this pic was taken, who knows i may have even been on one of those buses lol.