Mystery photo

RichardB

There was a Garage on this Street/Road/Lane?Boulevard (1950's) ... not that it helps much.

It has a mention on PictureSheffield but hardly worth it, more like the "ghost of Mrs Miggins Road" than a useful image. It shows two buildings standing and the streets that ran either side in the distance, already part demolished.

Now, this one is ... ?

The man in the photo is Ted "Windybottom" Miggins, man did he have a problem after all those pie-and-peas, he was only allowedto walk down the centre of the road so as to not offend the people in the houses on either side, he worked nights at the pie-shoppe and earned a little extra from folks as an impromptu alarm clock when he was on his way home at 6 am ... possibly ...

The second one is just a spit away from the first one, if that helps, really in the Kelvins cellars.

Guest skeets

Anyone got any idea ?

RichardB The only houses l can recall like the the ones on the left was on Champs Hill it ran from Nursery st up to Pitsmoor I HAVE A DOUBT RE; THE ACTUAL NAME BUT IT ALWAYS WENT UNDERTHIS NAME SKEETS excuse caps

RichardB The only houses l can recall like the the ones on the left was on Champs Hill it ran from Nursery st up to Pitsmoor I HAVE A DOUBT RE; THE ACTUAL NAME BUT IT ALWAYS WENT UNDERTHIS NAME SKEETS excuse caps

Skeets

If you're venerable enough to recall the first one, go towards the river two streets, that's where it is, Pitsmoor would be a distant land from here. The main supports for Kelvin were built on top of this Street.

The next one, however, requires a knowledge of Pitsmoor in the 50's/60's and that's not me (I don't know the answer to the Pitsmoor one by the way, but it does have a picture of a Pub and a newly constructed high-rise thing).

I can't name the source, but, it's not online and does include 67 original photographs, of which, I shall make as many interesting posts as I can (Tsavo might pass comment on the rarity of one of the photos, the Cinema he's spent years looking for).

Next one (1960's), this one not under the Kelvin.

(I wish I had hundreds of these, unfortunately there are not many of them).

Big bonus points (entirely worthless) if you can name the famous former resident of this Street.

More steps to the front door ...

A quick guess 'Blake Street' .. ?

Wrong part of town, nowhere near the previous ones.

According to my 1991 A-Z it's gone; though one of its "friends" is shown. (I wouldn't go reading any great cryptic meaning into that statement; just means there is another place bearing the same first part of the name we are after).

According to my 1991 A-Z it's gone; though one of its "friends" is shown. (I wouldn't go reading any great cryptic meaning into that statement; just means there is another place bearing the same first part of the name we are after).

By the type of housing and the type of hill, I think we can obviously rule out quite a few places.

For instance Attercliffe - too flat, Woodseats - Just a bit too late in the style of housing. Abbeydale - same. Also all the places which are predominantly stone built. And more places for similar reasons.

It's on the brow of a hill bending to the right and the land also slopes up from right to left.

Maybe a leap of faith, but that puts the road cutting accross one of the "fingers" which radiate from Sheff's main hills.

I've ruled out Hollis Croft area.

You've ruled out Lower Walkley.

Next one round would be Sharrow but I can't think of anywhere round there.

Possibly could be Heeley (Gleadles Rd area)

Accross town a bit there's Rock Street / Spital Hill area. I'm not too familiar with what that was like in the 60's

Not Wincobank because most of that is about 1900ish, (a bit newer than the housing in the photo I think).

Across to the hill from Darnall to Handsworth. That's also early 1900's

Then nothing 'till Park area.

I'll have to guess somewhere in Park or Heeley or Spital Hill.

Am I in the right area(s)? :unsure: Just to narrow it down a bit.

Or is the above reasoning a load of rubbish. lol

Carwood Lane/Terrace?

I'm not great on the area; plus it was before I was born, begins with "M" and it's a Street, not a Road/Walk/Lane etc.

I'm not great on the area; plus it was before I was born, begins with "M" and it's a Street, not a Road/Walk/Lane etc.

Marcus Street?

Charliesharkey just woke me up. I'd forgotten about this one. I googled all over it but couldn't get anywhere.

Any clues Richard?