Pub Signs

dunsbyowl1867

Mary Walton says in 1867 the grounds of Mount Pleasant were passed to the Mount Pleasant Land Society who developed the little estate of inexpensive housing between Sitwell road and Herschel road. there was apparently an intention to call it the 'Cremorne Estate' and it was so named in the 1872 directory.

She has no explanation of the origin of the name and the Cremorne pub lies outside the bounds of the estate, - in any case the Land Society specifically forbade the erection of a public house on the estate.

Maybe the Cremorne PH took it's name from the London Gardens then,

and we can only make guesses on that.

The Centre Spot, Jaunty Road, S12

This sign appears to fading away so took a picture to capture it before it goes for good.

Pub is still open but like most is struggling to stay in business these days.

As far as I know it is still the pub used for meetings by Sheffield Steam & vintage Club first Tuesday or Wednesday of each month.

The Arbouthorne Hotel, Errington Road

Yes, it is still open but I never realised it had a big sign outside (which just says "The Arbourthorne") and that picyure looks like somewhere a bit posh, - not like the Arbourthorne then lol

The Punch Bowl, Gleadless Common

This illuminated name sign on the side of the building facing down Gleadless Common actually looks better than the raised standard in front of the pub.

The Birley, Birley Moor Road, Frechville (open)

Strangely The Sherwood on the opposite side of Birly moor Road doesn't seem to have a pub sign

Golden Plover, Hackenthorpe (open)

Not wanting to venture any further onto the Hackenthorpe for pub signs (there should be at least 3 more) I will leave them to Stuart0742, vox and the other "Hackenthorpe boys" to get.

...and at the other end of Gleadless Common, The New Inn

...then just up the hill along Hollinsend Road, The Heeley and Sheffield house, Gleadless Road

Not wanting to venture any further onto the Hackenthorpe for pub signs (there should be at least 3 more) I will leave them to Stuart0742, vox and the other "Hackenthorpe boys" to get.

The Blue Bell

Main Street, Hackenthorpe

I knew someone would pick up on this one, one of the "Hackenthorpe boys".

I thought Stuart would have done it when he went to visit his mum, but thanks to vox for this collection.

I thought there was another boozer right down at the old 41 bus terminus, - "The Hogshead"??? or something like that.

The Blue Bell

Main Street, Hackenthorpe

Used to go in this pub frequently when Stuart was still living at home before he got married.

A Stones pub, the interior was done out like a Spanish looking place.

Made you feel as though you were on holiday in the Costa Packet in sunny spain (In fact they always seemed to have "Viva Espania" on the juke box)

But in reality you were drinking a pint of Stones's in Hackenthorpe and it was cold and raining outside :(

I knew someone would pick up on this one, one of the "Hackenthorpe boys".

I thought Stuart would have done it when he went to visit his mum, but thanks to vox for this collection.

I thought there was another boozer right down at the old 41 bus terminus, - "The Hogshead"??? or something like that.

Thought it was called the Hogs'eard.

(Spelling words in local dialect int easy)