The last night of the Dominator

Hjdary

Guest MarkM

Hi all, sorry to dredge up an old thread with my first post, but does anyone have a lower deck interior pic of a Dominator, me and the missus we're reminiscing about that ludicrous child-seat thing they had at the back :)

Thanks alot :)

Mark

Hi all, sorry to dredge up an old thread with my first post, but does anyone have a lower deck interior pic of a Dominator, me and the missus we're reminiscing about that ludicrous child-seat thing they had at the back :)

Mark

You fooled me there guys,

I took a look at this thread in transport because I thought it was going to be about Norton Motorcycles, - forgetting that the "Dominator" is a bus, Doh!!

Guest bus man

It wasnt a child seat it was a lugage rack due to weight restrictions if they had put a noraml seat there then under the calculations that are used then it would have been too heavey on rear axle so the lugage rack was done not all domiantors had them ill find out which

Mark

I always thought it was for putting fishing baskets on/in.

he he

Oh, and welcome to SH.

Guest MarkM

I always thought it was for putting fishing baskets on/in.

he he

Oh, and welcome to SH.

The child seat reference was tongue in cheek :) ;) I dont think Alexander would have been that mean to have an unpadded seat for kids!! lol.

Anyways, of anyone has a pic..:D

And also maybe a lower deck interior shot of one of the D-platers with that big luggage arear at the back too... :)

And thanks for your help bus man

The child seat reference was tongue in cheek :) ;) I dont think Alexander would have been that mean to have an unpadded seat for kids!! lol.

Anyways, of anyone has a pic..:D

And also maybe a lower deck interior shot of one of the D-platers with that big luggage arear at the back too... :)

And thanks for your help bus man

Hi MarkM. Only got an exterior shot of one of the D platers. W/E

Guest transit

Hi MarkM. Only got an exterior shot of one of the D platers. W/E

...heres a couple of pics of D487 OWE in its "Coachline" livery (pic 1), then in "Fastline" livery (pic2). These Doms differed from the standard batch due to the extra 3' length (note the small central windows) ,and "coach-style" seating. Front panels were also different as compared to sister D479 OWE (pic 3)...

Guest transit

Thanks for those chaps, still those elusive interior shots evade me lol :D

....D472 OWE is one of the former "Fastlines" stored for preservation at Sandtoft , along with the trolleybus Dominator. I will try and get interior pics over the weekend , unless someone beats me to it !

Guest bus man

....D472 OWE is one of the former "Fastlines" stored for preservation at Sandtoft , along with the trolleybus Dominator. I will try and get interior pics over the weekend , unless someone beats me to it !

If you mean me - dont worry - your nearer than me for that one

Guest transit

If you mean me - dont worry - your nearer than me for that one

....you mean you hav'nt already got one ??? :o ...i can actually see the bus as i write this , as it is on the yard , but cant get close enough for an interior shot ! :rolleyes:

Great stuff :D

Haven't got any interior photos - not my sort of thing usually, but it occurs to me that all the Dominator pics featured so far have featured Alexander bodywork. SYPTE also Dominators with bodywork built by:

East Lancs to the builder's standard design (521 - 524)

Northern Counties (2311 - 2320)

and most curiously of all, by East Lancs, but to the Alexander design - can you spot the difference (2351 - 2365)

In total, SYPTE had 322 Dominators, out of a total of 1106 chassis built (plus an extra chassis which was converted to the trolleybus 2450). Leicester had about 140, and other big users were Hull, with about 50 and GMPTE with 40.

I've posted pics of these buses in good old coffee and cream, as to my eyes they never looked right in yellow and red Mainline livery, especially as they aged and looked rather uncared-for. At least it looks like some effort was made for the last day.

Perhaps the most telling point is that 2120 was 25 years old retired. I seem to remember that when I was young, buses were withdrawn from the Sheffield Transport fleet at around 12-15 years old. Are buses really so much better than then, or is it just a case of not spending money on replacements if the old stuff can be kept going, regardless of reliability and image?

Bit of a rhetorical question, and I sense a rant coming on, so I'll stop.

Guest bus man

STD was around 12 years ish but if they had just had a rebuild then they would continue remember that in those days the length of the MOT depended ont he work you had done (no doubt I wil be told I am wrong but this is true ) as they didnt if i remember rigthly they got a 7 year mot when year

The pte decided that they would not run anything after 12 years this caused problems as they had to get new buses which wer ei short supply as a result of this the ailsas were bought but that is another story

Guest gareth388

There's plenty of Dominators to photo the interiors at the SYTT Busman, if the pics are still needed.

2120 for the older one, and 2414 for the later one. Also there is 2474 there at moment.

Busman has just mentined the Ailsa's being bought due to a supply difficulty........may have to upload a picture......

Guest gareth388

Here it is...... couldn't resist...he he

Ailsa 388 on the left is of course housed at the SYTT.

Returning to the Dominators at the SYTT, there is also one of each.....well...... many Alexanders, One Northern Counties(2317), and one East Lancs.(2361)

Guest transit

There's plenty of Dominators to photo the interiors at the SYTT Busman, if the pics are still needed.

2120 for the older one, and 2414 for the later one. Also there is 2474 there at moment.

Busman has just mentined the Ailsa's being bought due to a supply difficulty........may have to upload a picture......

...Hi Gareth , any news yet of an Open Day down at the tramsheds ????

Guest gareth388

I will answer on his behalf very unlikely this year

Yes, unfortunetly this will most likely be the case. At the last board meeting, it was thought that owing to the level of work still required on the building in particular, and to some extent on the buses - so that we have a reasonable amount to show, and for people to ride on on the free bus etc, it would be unlikely to happen this year.

When it does happen, it will be a dual site event, with visting vehicles etc, and a free bus, and will be one to remember!

I will keep you posted! :)

Guest transit

Yes, unfortunetly this will most likely be the case. At the last board meeting, it was thought that owing to the level of work still required on the building in particular, and to some extent on the buses - so that we have a reasonable amount to show, and for people to ride on on the free bus etc, it would be unlikely to happen this year.

When it does happen, it will be a dual site event, with visting vehicles etc, and a free bus, and will be one to remember!

I will keep you posted! :)

....looking forward to it already !!!!!!! just to say well done and thanks, to you and all the team down at the tramsheds for your dedication in preserving Sheffields transport history .

Guest bus man

Just been to the halifax peace hall event , a service was run to sowerby bridge station where the bar had two guest ales:

Dominator

&

Fleetline

I had the fleetline not bad a bit slow on hills and ive now got a smokey eshaust :)

Just been to the halifax peace hall event , a service was run to sowerby bridge station where the bar had two guest ales:

Dominator

&

Fleetline

I had the fleetline not bad a bit slow on hills and ive now got a smokey eshaust :)

Good decision busman. The Dominator would have given you Sulphuric Emissions!

Guest gareth388

Good decision busman. The Dominator would have given you Sulphuric Emissions!

Just out of interest Bus Man, which Fleetline and Dominator were they?(Ha Ha!!)

Mark

here you go m8

http://first-bus-photos.fotopic.net/p58802182.html