Hillsborough Baths

Sheffield History

Hi Grinderbloke

I see by your post that you used Millhouses Lido do you recognise the attachment as that Lido ?

Hope you can help.

That doesn't look like Millhoses Lido to be...

If that was Millhouses the building with the clock would be almost backing on to the Midland Railway line, Millhoses Lido was on the flatter part of the park, seperated from the railway by the River Sheaf.

Don't know why, but that has the look of the open air pool at Scarborough.

Do you have an more clues?

Hi Grinderbloke

Thanks for your responce you could be right about Scarborough its just due to a death in the family i have inherited a lot of old photos with very little information but some of which are deffinatly in Scarborough so you could be right.

Thank you again, Syrup.

Guest Virus

I learnt to swim at Hillsborough Baths in the 60's. We used to go down on the bus from Wisewood Junior School and all fought over who got to keep the huge roll of tickets - 40 x 2d tickets, which the conductor used to press off on a continuous roll!

I have no memory of the instructors at the time, but I do remember those grotty changing rooms with the tatty curtains - and having to walk through the slipper baths before going into the pool - and those polystyrene boards we had to tie around our middles to stop us sinking to the murky depths!

I learnt to swim there in the late 1980's, Mr Tingle was his name looked a bit like one of the chuckle brothers! Quite scarily 20 years on they still had the tatty curtains and polystyrene boards you mention!

Guest plain talker

Never did go to the old Hillsborough baths, did lots of others...

Woodthorpe, Park, Attercliffe, Heeley, Glossop Rd, Millhouses Lido etc.

I assume all these are long gone?

Glossop Rd had a lot of work done on it in the 1970s, at the end it was very well presented.

Woodthorpe baths are sadly, gone. must be fifteen or more years since they were demolished. (council decided the wooden hut-type building that housed them was uneconomical to repair/ maintain)

attercliffe baths:- I'm not sure, the police station which stood beside them is still there.

Park baths is no longer a swimming pool. the buildings, including the attached library are still there. library is still in use, baths are in use as a community/ youth centre.

Glossop road baths is now a wetherspoons-y type bar, called "the Swim Inn" part of it has been divided up into a coupleof restaurants, and the turkish baths is a "Spa" now

Millhouses lido is also long gone, the whole area was flattened some years ago.

Heeley baths, and Upperthorpe baths are both still in use, and have community resource centres attached.

Guest Krystyna

When I was about eight, my dad brought me here, not to swim, but instead to actually have a bath. It must have been between 1976/79. We were very poor and lived on Parson Cross, and my dad opened the door to reveal the blue of the swimming pool, and I was so excited to see it.

But, I was ushered through another door where there was a lady filling up tub baths. I had a bath to myself, fillled with hot water and thoroughy loved it. We couldn't afford hot baths at home with lots of hot water, in fact, when I was little, I used to have a bath in one of thos washing machines with the spinner at the side - euch but loved it.... Never had a bath like this until that time my dad took me to Hillsborough (probably explains why I now have showers every morning and at night at home!)

It was then I learnt the meaning of public baths. About a couple of years later, I finally went to enjoy the blue pool, those yellow curtains at each cubicle, and that freezing cold toilet at the bottom end..... Still vivid to this day.

Guest Gilderoy

I too learnt to swim there. With being from Hllsborough School we also used to have the yearly swimming gala, which invited all the other local schools to compete. I can also remember Elvis (Chris). All the older girls had real bad crushes on him. Wonder what he is doing now???

Guest wunumpi

I'm another that learned to swim at hillsborough. I used to live in Malin bridge and I remember getting my 25 yard certificate there in the late 70's. My dad taught me to swim by throwing me over his shoulder and letting me sink. He'd probably get arrested for that these days...