Sheffield History

HILLSBOROUGH SWIMMING BATHS

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/...jpgh/t00411.jpg

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/...jpgh/t00412.jpg

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/...jpgh/t00413.jpg

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/...jpgh/y00343.jpg

pictures from the excellent picture sheffield website

Anyone ever use Hillsborough Baths ?

I have really vague memories of the place - and not all of them pleasant as I recall that I once saw something 'floating' in the water

Not something to make you return on a regular basis I guess

Also would be good to get some pictures and a few dates such as when it closed

I know in more recent years it became 'The Deep End' which was a bar and live venue but has since closed and been sold to Weatherspoons ?

Not sure what is happening to it now - JD Wetherspoon did apply for licensing for the venue - not sure of the outcome, there were a few objections.

It was my understanding last year the Wetherspoons was to open the venue in November '06, but not heard anything since?

Found the licensing meeting link: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-coun...27th-march-2006

Not sure what it all means though.. lol

EDIT: Just found it -

It is to be renamed 'Rawson Spring' and is scheduled for opening as a Lloyds No.1 bar on 18 June 2007

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/pubfinder/d...utletNumber=730

Interesting

Finding information on the places history is proving difficult - and pictures even harder to come by..

Just had a look through my copy of 'A Hillsborough Camera' (JR Wrigley) and there's no picture of Hillsborough Baths- I would have thought if any book had a picture of them it would have been that one!!!

Can't find anywhere on the internet to research either...

Guest lesvegas

I learnt to swim there, it was a great place but flipping freezing when you got out, the toilets at the bottom were like a freezer

Mr Tindle was a teacher and John who taught me (this was in the early 80s) and Chris the Elvis lookalike with THE loudest whistle on earth

Great place but i used to hate going but the 2 pence highland toffee bars made it worthwhile

Guest nosy nellie

:P nosy nellie

Interesting

Finding information on the places history is proving difficult - and pictures even harder to come by..

this is my first time so please excuse any mistakes.i remember going to hillsborough baths in the fifties.can anyone remind me how much it cost i think it was sixpence,and about two pence if you got a white card from school with small strips to tear off.our family also had to use the slipper baths my grandchildren can't believe all the district took baths in the same baths and an attendant used to fill the bath for you and you only had a certain amount of time to have a bath.

the photographs also brought back memories of the duck boards and the curtains.

We used to have our school swimming gala there each year. While waiting for your event everyone stood on the upstairs balcony to watch the other races. My vividest memory was when one of the fourth form girls (I will not mention her name) became the most popular girl in school as her top rode up right at the start of the backstroke race and she did not have a clue until it was over :lol: All the boys were chanting her name.

Guest Hennypenny

I learned to swim at Hillsborough baths too, but it was Mr Siviour (not sure of spelling) who taught me.

I remember the cubicles and the duck boards too :)

I have heard that Wetherspoons have put up a notice saying they will be opening in July, but that they haven't applied for a family licence, which is a shame as I would have been happy to take my children there for a meal.

Guest coffee cup

I learnt to swim hear too, during school swimming lessons , although Mr Siviour (again don't know if spelling is correct) was always there, he had grey hair and a slim grey tash a nice bloke, but he could shout should the need arise. Very fond memories, very fond. :P:P :P

Guest moira

I learned to swim at Hillsbrough baths about 1955 and the coach was a Mr. Scott. he was very nice, after lessons we used to buy hot orange juice ans sit around and drink it and talk about the lesson (shivering)Great days.

Moira

Guest tsavo

We used to have our school swimming gala there each year. While waiting for your event everyone stood on the upstairs balcony to watch the other races. My vividest memory was when one of the fourth form girls (I will not mention her name) became the most popular girl in school as her top rode up right at the start of the backstroke race and she did not have a clue until it was over :lol: All the boys were chanting her name.

Bet you can't remember who won, though! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest mattjon

I once took a party of Crookesmoor Children to compete in a swimming gala at Hillsborough Baths. Would have been around 1994.There my lads were, an assortment of shapes, sizes and costumes up against a well known private school beginning with B and ending in dale.

These lads looked like Olympic Athletes with their speedo glasses and uniform costumes.

To cut a long story we whupped their a*ses in the main event - the free style relay.

What a night!!

Guest J R Wrigley

Just had a look through my copy of 'A Hillsborough Camera' (JR Wrigley) and there's no picture of Hillsborough Baths- I would have thought if any book had a picture of them it would have been that one!!!

If I had a picture of Hillsborough Baths before it became "The Deep End" I would have used it.

I swam there as a youngster and passed it many times without ever bothering to point a camera at it. Now that digital photography is so cheap I urge everyone to keep a record of anything that looks threatened.

I swam there as a youngster and passed it many times without ever bothering to point a camera at it. Now that digital photography is so cheap I urge everyone to keep a record of anything that looks threatened.

Yes, I'd indeed second that - I know Admin is doing a lot of that and sites like 'City Snapper' are extremely good for how the city looks today (link in the links section of this site).

It's quick, cheap and easy nowadays to capture your memories.

The chaps like JR Wrigley and The City Snapper do this city a unique and valuable service by continually documenting and sharing the changing picture of Sheffield

It's absolutely fascinating and the time they take by devoting themselves to this kind of work should be recognised more by the city of sheffield.

It takes a lot of time and dedication to work tirelessly on travelling round this city and taking pictures on the scale that they have done and whilst many appreciate it - it's never widely recognised.

It's their work that inspired me to create this website - and I for one am extremely grateful to people who record images of Sheffield and share them

Funny thing is, I have all JR Wrigley's books (bar one or two) and I've always thought "I bet it would be great to get the opportunity to speak to the man himself and discuss his photographs, research and memories" - and this site has given us the opportunity to do just that! Superb.

Never did go to the old Hillsborough baths, did lots of others...

Woodthorpe, Park, Attercliffe, Heeley, Glossop Rd, Millhouses Lido etc.

I assume all these are long gone?

Glossop Rd had a lot of work done on it in the 1970s, at the end it was very well presented.

Guest wisewoodowl

Glossop Rd had a lot of work done on it in the 1970s, at the end it was very well presented.

Heeley baths, on Broadfield Road, is still open. I use it occasionally at lunchtimes for lane swimming.

Guest cheekymonkey

I learnt to swim at hillsborough baths I remember them taking out the top board from the balcony? used to run up the side stairs freezing and bomb off the top. trouble is the height didnt match the depth and i remember one day seeing billowing clouds of red appear from below as someone cracked their head on the bottom.

Also remember one of the kife gaurds name not known was a dead ringer for alvin stardust/elvis ? anyone else remember him?

...trouble is the height didnt match the depth and i remember one day seeing billowing clouds of red appear from below as someone cracked their head on the bottom.

hehehe

I love a good health and safety story.

As kids we used to run across the railway line near the North Pole pub to a place that had industrial magnets, we used to borrow a few ;) Today that would invoke a full scale public enquiry and new laws.

Guest shezza91

I went to it one nightwith some mates when it was the Deep End for a few beers,

but they wouldn't let me in because......

Id got a verruca ...

lol

Hi Grinderbloke

I see by your post that you used Millhouses Lido do you recognise the attachment as that Lido ?

Hope you can help.

I learnt to swim at Hillsborough Baths in the 60's. We used to go down on the bus from Wisewood Junior School and all fought over who got to keep the huge roll of tickets - 40 x 2d tickets, which the conductor used to press off on a continuous roll!

I have no memory of the instructors at the time, but I do remember those grotty changing rooms with the tatty curtains - and having to walk through the slipper baths before going into the pool - and those polystyrene boards we had to tie around our middles to stop us sinking to the murky depths!

Hi Grinderbloke

I see by your post that you used Millhouses Lido do you recognise the attachment as that Lido ?

Hope you can help.

That doesn't look like Millhouses Lido to me...

If that was Millhouses the building with the clock would be almost backing on to the Midland Railway line, Millhoses Lido was on the flatter part of the park, seperated from the railway by the River Sheaf.

Don't know why, but that has the look of the open air pool at Scarborough.

Do you have an more clues?