Closed Schools

DaveH

Having being influenced by RichardS and his thread in the Pubs and WMC's section on Google Street views of long gone pubs I was inspired to do one on local schools as many of these, including all the ones I attended, have now gone.

Google Street is a powerful resource and we have Google's permission to use it if we leave their copyright notice intact. So we should use it

While Stuart0742 and myself were thinking of putting together a proper "Sheffield Schools" thread it became apparent that most schools had either closed, changed names or undergone some other change, like being totally rebuilt, which made our task rather difficult.

So here is a start with a few schools I knew well.

Once again, as I don't know the locations of ALL the bygone schools I am relying on members who attended other schools in the area to find their locations in Google Street and post them here to make this as complete a section as possible.

Norfolk School

My old school, also known as Norfolk High, Norfolk secondary Modern and Arbourthorne North Secondary School.

Alas no more.

Except that Norfolk does have its own thread here

Norfolk School

Norfolk Junior School, Brimmersfield Road

Also known as Arbourthorne North Junior School.

The original building is still standing but is NOT a junior school.

It is the Pupil Referral Unit, - a place where naughty boys and girls expelled from other schools are sent.

Norfolk Nursery Infant School, Craddock Road

Also known as Arbourthorne North Infant School.

Now gone, Stuart0742 will recognise this viewpoint, - its taken from outside Frithy's house at the end of Dagenham Road

Hurlfield School, East Bank Road

Also known as Hurlfield Boys and Myrtle Springs.

Currently rebuilt on the same site as Springs Academy, but visible from Hurlfield Road

Arbourthorne Junior School, eastern Avenue

Also known as Arbourthorne Central Junior School and Arbourthorne Eastern Avenue School, both names designed to avoid confusion with the other Arbourthorne school, Arbourthorne North (later to become Norfolk).

Currently rebuilt on the same site as Arbourthorne Community School

Ashleigh Upper School, Gleadless Road

Also known as Ashleigh, Central Technical School and Myrtle Springs

Rainbow Forge Primary School, technically this school has not closed, merely moved sites when Carter Lodge Comprehensive closed.

Birley spa Lane

2 for the price of 1 here

Long since closed school and a long since closed pub

Hackenthorpe Village School, must have closed in the late 1950's when Rainbow Forge opened

New Inn Hackenthorpe, closed when? prior to 1970 when we moved to Hackenthorpe, perhaps one for VOX this one.

2 for the price of 1 here

Long since closed school and a long since closed pub

Hackenthorpe Village School, must have closed in the late 1950's when Rainbow Forge opened

New Inn Hackenthorpe, closed when? prior to 1970 when we moved to Hackenthorpe, perhaps one for VOX this one.

That's a difficult one.

I went to Hackenthorpe Village Infants 1954ish for my first couple of years then transferred to Rainbow Forge. My brother, about 20 younger, did the same so the village school was still open in the 70's. I'm trying to tie it down to a year.

New Inn was open when I was young, maybe late 50's but that's another to look more closely into.

I'm on it now.

I'll report soon.

Ok - this

The Village school opened in 1880 - closed in 1991.

Mom used to help out there for a short while. They had a Centenary celebration in 1980.

My headmistress in '54 was Mrs. Butler.

One of my memories of the school was that there were massive open fires in a couple of the rooms and the central heating was piped through large iron pipes round all the rooms. It seems that just being told not to touch the pipes or go near the fire was safety enough in those days.

20 years ago when I bought my present old house at Crookes, I tried to reproduce my memories of the school in our kitchen. We restored the pine woodwork and did the walls dark green at the bottom, cream above and with a dark red pinstripe between them.

When I was at the Village school, Ripons Newsagents was on the Village green outside the school. It stood on a small triangle of grass just out of shot on the right. Just a wooden hut. I had a thrupenny bit for a weeks spending money. That got me a couple of Black Jacks or Flying Saucers each day after school. The hut was moved to near the top of Dyke Vale Road for a few years untill the main shops were built. I think Rippons had the "Proper" shop for a while before Harry Elam took it over.

After the scool closed my mom and dad went to a few meetings with the aim of trying to at least keep the building and change it's use. The developers won. Criminals - £££. :angry: (Don't know what happened there they are supposed to be pound signs)

You can see from Stuart's Picture what they've replaced it with.

The New Inn (Betsey's) closed in 1959 - The licence was transferred to The Golden Plover

"Pictures from my mom's nice little book about Hackenthorpe."

My cousin has this picture of Sheffield Free Writing School

He wrote:

"This is a photo of the Sheffield Free Writing School

taken around 1880-1890. It stood at the end of Leopold

Street on the corner with West Street. It was

demolished not long after this picture was taken and

the Sheffield Pupil Teacher's Centre was built on the

site (where all your Styring Aunties went). It then

became City Grammar Scool and then Central Technical

School which then moved up to Richmond Road"

Guest alantoft

Colley on Parson Cross. I went to Yew Lane but used to pass Colley when I used to go to the chippy on Margetson Crescent in the late 50's early 60's.

Colley on Parson Cross. I went to Yew Lane but used to pass Colley when I used to go to the chippy on Margetson Crescent in the late 50's early 60's.

Alan

Oh me old school ! Never seen it looking so good! I remember they were building the sports centre just before or after I left. Does anyone know when it was knocked down exactly? I know it was opened in 1953. Are Yewland & Chaucer still open?

Guest lebourg

Ok - this

Mom used to help out there for a short while. They had a Centenary celebration in 1980.

One of my memories of the school was that there were MASSIVE open fires in a couple of the rooms and the central heating was piped through large iron pipes round all the rooms. It seems that just being told not to touch the pipes or go near the fire was safety enough in those days.

20 years ago when I bought my present old house at Crookes, I tried to reproduce my memories of the school in our kitchen. We restored the pine woodwork and did the walls dark green at the bottom, cream above and with a dark red pinstripe between them.

When I was at the Village school, Ripons Newsagents was on the Village green outside the school. It stood on a small triangle of grass just out of shot on the right. Just a wooden hut. I had a thrupenny bit for a weeks spending money. That got me a couple of Black Jacks or Flying Saucers each day after school. The hut was moved to near the top of Dyke Vale Road for a few years untill the main shops were built. I think Rippons had the "Proper" shop for a while before Harry Elam took it over.

After the scool closed my mom and dad went to a few meetings with the aim of trying to at least keep the building and change it's use. The developers won. Criminals - £££. :angry: (Don't know what happened there they are supposed to be pound signs)

The New Inn (Betsey's) closed in 1959 - The licence was transferred to The Golden Plover

I went to the village school in about 54/55 then on to Rainbow forge. Seem to remember the headmistress at RF being a battleaxe

We lived on Delves ave. Can remember walking past the button factory on the way to school

Guest arlene sullivan

looking for owler lane school now demolished as my husband went there till 1961.looking for football team school photos from 1958 to 1961 as he was in these photos can anyone help?

Hello and Welcome to the site Arlene.

Not quite what you are looking for, but, hopefully interesting all the same.

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/owler-lane-secondary-modern/b/58288cea-9cfb-4bb5-a40b-4f8cd8f50f73

looking for owler lane school now demolished as my husband went there till 1961.looking for football team school photos from 1958 to 1961 as he was in these photos can anyone help?

Guest lebourg

Hi Vox

I went to the village school in 54

We lived in Delves ave and I used to walk up the lane by the button factory.

When I left, for some reason we got sent to the secondery school down the road. Seem to remember the headmistress was a bit of a tyrant.

I remember the sweet shops and buying liquorice root.

Hi Vox

I went to the village school in 54

We lived in Delves ave and I used to walk up the lane by the button factory.

When I left, for some reason we got sent to the secondery school down the road. Seem to remember the headmistress was a bit of a tyrant.

I remember the sweet shops and buying liquorice root.

Hello lebourg.

The Headmistress at Rainbow Forge that you refer to in your other post (I seem to have missed that one at the time) would be Miss Cantor. She was a bit scary wasn't she lol

Were you in the same class as me I wonder ?

Ok - this

One of my memories of the school was that there were massive open fires in a couple of the rooms and the central heating was piped through large iron pipes round all the rooms. It seems that just being told not to touch the pipes or go near the fire was safety enough in those days.

After the scool closed my mom and dad went to a few meetings with the aim of trying to at least keep the building and change it's use. The developers won. Criminals - £££. (Don't know what happened there they are supposed to be pound signs)

Dragging an old post to the top I know, but just a little tale. In the mid 70's I worked in the Schools dept at the library. One of our delivery drivers was much in demand to play Father Christmas in schools, and one year he agreed to do it for Hackenthorpe Village School. He duly turned up in full regalia, sack and all, to find they'd locked all the doors and were all in the hall, making a racket. He banged on the door but couldn't make anybody hear, so as a last resort he went to the phonebox nearby and rang them up. Eventually someone heard the phone and answered, but he got some very funny looks standing in the phonebox in the meantime.

Guest Dan2234

i went to Rainbow Forge in 1985 then i transfered to Kirkhill sadly Kirkhill is no longer there, my Teacher at Kirkhill was called Mrs Devlin she was quite scary if you got on the wrong said of her lol i was once made to sit in the naughty chair for a few hours.