Giant Ferris Wheel for Sheffield

Guest tsavo

The observation wheel may be sited on Fargate to bring the customers in, but where would you place it for a unique view of the city. Purely a paper excercise so can be anywhere.

Sheffield Star 29.5.2009: http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Wheels-in-mo...-big.5314861.jp

I've been on the London Eye which and the one in York "Great Yorkshire Wheel ?"

I'd say the one in London was excellent - fantastic views and & vast number of historic sites to see. The one in York was a big disappointment -once you have seen the Rowntree factory and the North Yorkshire moors in the distance ( on a clear day) there is little else to see - I couldn't wait to get off. I would think the same would be true for one in Fargate?

Just awaiting the council to give the go-ahead.

29/06/09

BBC NEWS

Sounds like another cunning plan from the Baldricks in the 'Planning' department. Just because other cities have had them, Sheffield has to have one. No problem with that, but Fargate? Sweeping vistas of shop rooftops, with the spires of St Marie's and the Cathedral just about the only landmarks.

Where else to put it? I can't think of anywhere. The point about the other cities is that they are pretty flat, and wide views are hard to come by, so a wheel gives you a pretty unique view. In Sheffield, climb any hill and you can have panoramas just about anywhere.

Sounds like another cunning plan from the Baldricks in the 'Planning' department. Just because other cities have had them, Sheffield has to have one. No problem with that, but Fargate? Sweeping vistas of shop rooftops, with the spires of St Marie's and the Cathedral just about the only landmarks.

Where else to put it? I can't think of anywhere. The point about the other cities is that they are pretty flat, and wide views are hard to come by, so a wheel gives you a pretty unique view. In Sheffield, climb any hill and you can have panoramas just about anywhere.

When they had the fair in Barkers pool last autumn the "Big Wheel" they put up there was big enough.

Stood next to the cenotaph it matched its height.

Guest skeets

l understood this was going to be incorporated with the Parkway fly over looks a better site to me. skeets

l understood this was going to be incorporated with the Parkway fly over looks a better site to me. skeets

Looks like its only held in place with 5 tethers and could quite easily roll away.

Guest skeets

Looks like its only held in place with 5 tethers and could quite easily roll away.

lf this was ever constructed l think the engineers and safety dep; would ensure its safety, this was only an artists impression . skeets

Of the proposed site in Sheffield, Mr Ward said:

"We believe our graceful, elegant design will fit in with the area and distinguished architecture."

I wonder if Park Hill will be visible from it.

he he

The wheel on Fargate goes round and round, round and round, round and round, (altogether now...!)

This was yesterday. Not much to see but look at them legs! ;-)

(First glance I thought Sheffield's attempt at a moon flight had arrived!)

Sheffield abandoned its own moon project and its rocket launch silo (aka "The hole In The Road") has been filled in for a Supertram instead.

Pity really, the rocket would have connected Sheffield with the moon, but the tram only goes to Meadowhall

The wheel on Fargate goes round and round, round and round, round and round, (altogether now...!)

Thanks, keep us posted please.

Who will be first up there with a camera ? When's it due to open - anyone know ?

On a more serious note there was a short item on this on the early morning "breakfast television" BBC news yesterday morning.

Guest Jeremy

Apparently they're not called Ferris Wheels any more... I overheard some British tourists on the bus to work this morning. Pointing at the Ferris Wheel on the pier: "Look they've got a London Eye!"

Your starter for ten: Where, and when was the first Ferris Wheel? (Hint, knowing where I live will give you a clue).

Jeremy

Guest carlie167

Was in town yesterday, and they have got a bit further with the wheel.

It's going to be BIG! :o

Was in town yesterday, and they have got a bit further with the wheel.

It's going to be BIG! :o

I'm in town tomorrow so I must take a look at this while its being constructed, - looks impressive

Is Fargate not closed off in parts for health and safety while this wheel is being put up?

Next weekend the Continental Market is due in Fargate.

Will they still be able to have it there with the big wheel or will it be moved somewhere else, - Barkers Pool for example?

Will they still be able to have it there with the big wheel or will it be moved somewhere else, - Barkers Pool for example?

Why not put a fire underneath

and use it as a Spit Roaster.

lol

Your starter for ten: Where, and when was the first Ferris Wheel? (Hint, knowing where I live will give you a clue).

Jeremy

Nearly missed this fairly easy one Jeremy.

The Ferris wheel, named after George Washington Ferris (another American George duba-ya) of Pitsburg Pensylvania designed and gave his name to the first big wheel.

It was built in 1893 for the Columbian Exposition in Chicago Illinois (the connection with where you live)

As an aside to where you live, I see in todays news headlines that Chicago's famous Sears Tower is to be renamed after a British insurance company, although the headline I got this from doesn't say which insurance company.

I don't suppose it will be the Chuchill tower

Or even the Sheila's Wheels tower (which is actually NOT Australian as many people think)

Pretty certain it will be a company few people have heard of.

Can I claim my 10 points on your starter?

I'm in town tomorrow so I must take a look at this while its being constructed, - looks impressive

Is Fargate not closed off in parts for health and safety while this wheel is being put up?

don't think they could move it once built lol

(on my way back off holiday, in Reims)

Guest carlie167

The actual site was just fenced off, with people walking round Fargate more or less as normal.

It will be an impressive sight, but I'm not sure if this is the right place for it, could be a bit congested when the wheel actually opens.

However, I'll be down to have a go on it. lol

I'll look forward to your pictures DaveH.

Guest carlie167

I've just been looking on Skyscraper City website, and the wheel is finished!!

They must have worked like demons since yesterday, there are a couple of good photos of it too.

Looks VERY big now.

I had a quick look tonight from my upstairs window (2100 Hrs)

and the circle is now complete,

but due to to adverse weather conditions 'heavy rain'

I couldn't take a photo.

Guest Jeremy

Nearly missed this fairly easy one Jeremy.

The Ferris wheel, named after George Washington Ferris (another American George duba-ya) of Pitsburg Pensylvania designed and gave his name to the first big wheel.

It was built in 1893 for the Columbian Exposition in Chicago Illinois (the connection with where you live)

As an aside to where you live, I see in todays news headlines that Chicago's famous Sears Tower is to be renamed after a British insurance company, although the headline I got this from doesn't say which insurance company.

I don't suppose it will be the Chuchill tower

Or even the Sheila's Wheels tower (which is actually NOT Australian as many people think)

Pretty certain it will be a company few people have heard of.

Can I claim my 10 points on your starter?

Correct! (I didn't think that many people outside Chicago knew of the Columbian Exposition--if you haven't read it, I recommend 'Devil in the White City,' an excellent book on events around the exposition.)

The Sears Tower is now the Willis Tower, much to the chagrin of many Chicagoans. The other well-known skyscraper in Chicago is the John Hancock Center--known affectionately by Chicagoans as "Big John"--you can probably therefore guess what the new nickname for the Willis Tower is.

Jeremy

Guest carlie167

Correct! (I didn't think that many people outside Chicago knew of the Columbian Exposition--if you haven't read it, I recommend 'Devil in the White City,' an excellent book on events around the exposition.)

The Sears Tower is now the Willis Tower, much to the chagrin of many Chicagoans. The other well-known skyscraper in Chicago is the John Hancock Center--known affectionately by Chicagoans as "Big John"--you can probably therefore guess what the new nickname for the Willis Tower is.

Jeremy

Er, wouldn't be "Big Willy", would it?

No of course not he he