How far back do you go?

vox

My great uncle Harold Styring - Historian, Author and Linguist, compiled this research of my mothers family.

Here are part of the results which were included in a presentation to Philip, Duke of Edinburgh in 1955.

Harold also wrote a book about the Styr dynasty entitled Earls Without Coronets. Very few copies survive within the family now.

Hope this is of interest.

I've edited this to resize a couple of scans that were unreadable.

My great uncle Harold Styring - Historian, Author and Linguist, compiled this research of my mothers family.

Here are part of the results which were included in a presentation to Philip, Duke of Edinburgh in 1955.

Harold also wrote a book about the Styr dynasty entitled Earls Without Coronets. Very few copies survive within the family now.

What a fantastic piece of history, I have been researching both my own and my wife's family history for about 15 yrs and found nothing but "the common working man". This makes it very difficult.

I can get to the 16c with the Oxley side of my wife's family and thats only because they remained in the Rotherham area. Every other branch of our familes travelled the country looking for work like a lot of families.

What a fantastic piece of history, I have been researching both my own and my wife's family history for about 15 yrs and found nothing but "the common working man". This makes it very difficult.

I can get to the 16c with the Oxley side of my wife's family and thats only because they remained in the Rotherham area. Every other branch of our familes travelled the country looking for work like a lot of families.

(Great) Uncle Harold told us there was a member of the Styring family present at every major sea battle fought by the English navy.

My cousin is now researching the other sides of the Styring family. (That is my mother and her sisters husbands. They are all unusual names and so one would think were relatively easy, but it's not proving to be so. My family for instance came (we think) from Germany so that gets difficult.

I help out a bit here and there, but I'm not organised enough to compile anything. I pass on my bits of info to him. Hopefully he'll be able to put it all together some day.

An interesting thing which has turned up is that the families of the husbands of Mom and her 3 sisters had all lived within about a square mile of each other in the late 1800's - early 1900's.

15 years, Bah ! :blink:

Though we can go back to early 1800's this one is a real sticking point, has been for decades, despite much effort ...

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...39&hl=brant

Thank you for making these scans available.

I knew there were a number of Styrings in Sheffield including one of my ancestors.

The connection with Nottingham I was unaware of. As also the Greystoke family.

You mention your great uncle's book. Is there any way that you could make the

information contained in this book available to those of us researching this family?

I would be especially interested in the details of how the Greystokes are connected to

William Styring of Austerfield and Misson.

Thank you for making these scans available.

I knew there were a number of Styrings in Sheffield including one of my ancestors.

The connection with Nottingham I was unaware of. As also the Greystoke family.

You mention your great uncle's book. Is there any way that you could make the

information contained in this book available to those of us researching this family?

I would be especially interested in the details of how the Greystokes are connected to

William Styring of Austerfield and Misson.

Hello SDH.

According to Great Uncle Harold we're related then.

As I understand it (and it's a bit complex for me I must admit) anyone with the Styring name comes from a single line. My connection is from my mother's maiden name.

Who was your Sheffield connection, maybe we know of him?

We've been trying to arrange for Earls Without Coronets to be scanned but as we're all spread about a bit nowadays it's proving a bit difficult to organise. I'll certainly let you know if and when it's done.

In the meantime I posted a couple of pages from a school book belonging to Benjamin Buckingham Styring. Written in 1845.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...?showtopic=6646

Also, my cousin who is doing research into our more recent history has some information available about the Sheffield Styrings.

It remains to be seen but -

My cousin has been in contact with someone who seems to have continued backwards from 700 AD. (which is where our Great Uncle Harold's research ended). He says he's reached 300 BC. :o

I'm waiting for copies of the documents.

Needless to say it's a bit exiting. :)

When I first saw this thread I found it hard to believe that I would ever get back as far as 700 -- the earliest dates I had were in the 1600s and most lines ended at brick walls in the late 1800s or early 1900s. However, yesterday I discovered a link that takes me into the Barham family of Sussex. This family has documented ancestry back to the Fitz-Urse family (who included one of the knights that killed Thomas Becket) and, through an illegitimate daughter, to King Henry I of England. Henry I was the son of William I the Conqueror and so the line continues through the dukes of Normandy back to Rollo born c860. Not quite 700 but getting closer.

Jeremy

When I first saw this thread I found it hard to believe that I would ever get back as far as 700 -- the earliest dates I had were in the 1600s and most lines ended at brick walls in the late 1800s or early 1900s. However, yesterday I discovered a link that takes me into the Barham family of Sussex. This family has documented ancestry back to the Fitz-Urse family (who included one of the knights that killed Thomas Becket) and, through an illegitimate daughter, to King Henry I of England. Henry I was the son of William I the Conqueror and so the line continues through the dukes of Normandy back to Rollo born c860. Not quite 700 but getting closer.

Jeremy

Good news Jeremy.

Once you hit noble blood, someone else has already done the work.

Now we need to get back a few more years until the point where Darwin takes over. he he

Not heard anything more from the person who claims to have gone back further on our family. <_<

I'll hang around in the 8th century 'till you catch up. :P

Guest DIZZINICK

I've edited this to resize a couple of scans that were unreadable.

Hi, I too have relations in the Styrings, my maternal grandmother was Charlotte Styring, and I also have a copy of the pedigree that you speak of

Hi, I too have relations in the Styrings, my maternal grandmother was Charlotte Styring, and I also have a copy of the pedigree that you speak of

Hi Dizzinick.

Hold on there, I'll get back to you. :)

Guest DIZZINICK

Hi Dizzinick.

Hold on there, I'll get back to you. :)

OK Vox, look forward to hearing from you. Get on-line for a couple of hours most nights.

OK Vox, look forward to hearing from you. Get on-line for a couple of hours most nights.

I've been trying to contact my cousin who knows much more about all this than I do.

I think he may be away.

I'll pm you when I contact him.

Thanks for holding on. :)

PS I can't immediately place a Charlotte in anything I've got.

Guest DIZZINICK

I've been trying to contact my cousin who knows much more about all this than I do.

I think he may be away.

I'll pm you when I contact him.

Thanks for holding on. :)

PS I can't immediately place a Charlotte in anything I've got.

Hi Vox, Charlotte was the daughter of Herbert Styring born c 1829, I believe that Herberts wife was a Mary Ann Banks. They married in December of 1863, in St Phillips Church, Sheffield. Charlotte married a John Henry Straw ( date not known ) and they lived in Attercliffe.

Hi Vox, Charlotte was the daughter of Herbert Styring born c 1829, I believe that Herberts wife was a Mary Ann Banks. They married in December of 1863, in St Phillips Church, Sheffield. Charlotte married a John Henry Straw ( date not known ) and they lived in Attercliffe.

Cousin just got in touch. I'll PM you with his email.

:)

Guest DIZZINICK

Cousin just got in touch. I'll PM you with his email.

:)

Thanks for the pm. will send an e-mail to your cousin later today if I get the chance. Keith

Guest Jennifer

I'm sure it's a shot in the dark, but I'm looking to buy a copy of Earls Without Coronets for my husband as a gift. I managed to track down a copy at the UNC Charlotte library and I have since read it and scanned it. I would love to have a genuine hard back in our collection though. Also, my mother-in-law has managed to track down the family records back to Henry & Mary Benson (of which was done prior finding out about this book!) After reading the book, it was exciting to see that all of the hard work had been done! I hope one day we can visit the UK .....

I'd like a read, I'm sure Fishface (Vox) either has my address or can get it from Frogbreath (Stuart) - both have my email - depending on file size. Thank you.

PM sent and I'll be happy to share with anyone who wants it!

I got all the pages from Jennifer - brilliant thank you.

I've started sending to Richard but I've not heard if any have arrived ?

Guest Jennifer

Thanks Vox for passing on the EWC to Richard for me... I also received Moods Mediatations & Music from you just a little bit ago and it's beautiful - thank you for sharing it with me! :)

Have just traced my mother's side back to 1020 :o
What I didn't expect to happen though is the family made a detour via the USA :blink: The family are called Benton, it seems they came up from Birmingham to Sheffield following the Silversmith trade. Yes the Benton factory in Sheffield was one of my lot! However what I didn't expect to find was that they ended up in Birmingham eventually coming back to the UK from the USA :huh: It seems that one Andrew Benton, who was born in 1620, (back in the UK) sailed out to the USA and settled there. One of his decendents decided to come back to the UK and the rest is history!
Andrew himself was an Essex lad and it seems he came off the family who during the course of time were originally called Bayntun. And of course they were knighted and at the Court of Henry VIII, and an earlier one lost his head, plus all the rest you would expect from these gentry people. They married into families that can trace the line to Royal blood such as Alfred, but like many gentry - if it's true :rolleyes:

Since I wrote this things have changed...

A bit more research however found that the Benton line from Birmingham to Sheffield didn't come back from the USA. Though Andrew Benton did go to the USA in 1620, none of his descendents came back to the UK at the required time to found that branch of the family. The confusion has come about because of the lack of information about Samuel Benton. What I do know is that he married a Gertrude Stilliard as that can be found in the IGI records in the late 1700's. Their family line is easy to trace after that date, but there's nothing on him turned up yet. So what somebody has done is linked a Samuel Benton in the USA to this chap! The USA man can trace his ancestors back to England, but he never leaves the USA and didn't know Gertrude.

If anyone has found any information on the Sam who married Gert, please PM me!
And if your a Benton in Sheffield you are probably related to me as they all seem to come up from Birmingham.

Guest Nicola Emsley

<p>I am also a Styring through my Grandfather Herbert Harold Styring of Wickersley where I grew up on Styring Land, fed the Ducks at Tickhill, afternoon tea in Blyth, family history lessons galore!! &nbsp;Glad to have printed information to share with my children here in Canada.</p>