How far back do you go?

vox

We all share common ancestors....it's just a matter of tracing them.

"In 1800 one billion people lived on earth, today its more like 7 billion. Because of this recent population explosion everyone alive today shares recent common ancestors. The average marriage in Europe is now between sixth cousins, who share a great, great,great, great,great, grandparent Everyone must have a famous relative [ and,therefore, a notorious one] somewhere in the family tree as we are all descended from a very small number of ancestors". source The Science Museum.

We all share common ancestors....it's just a matter of tracing them.

All of course very true cousin Lysander. :)

I read somewhere (or maybe saw on telly - It might have been what'sisname on QI)) that most of us can relate ourselves (in some devious way) to someone like for instance Genghis Khan.

When I posed the question "How far back do you go", I actually meant of course, traced and direct.

I am descended from ancient, primodial scum ... shame I haven't actually evolved very much since then !

I am descended from ancient, primodial scum ... shame I haven't actually evolved very much since then !

Some things don't actually need saying Richard. :)

Guest Emma Carter

I found a cousin while researching my father's side of the family and we go back to Saxon kings you will find it interesting

I found a cousin while researching my father's side of the family and we go back to Saxon kings you will find it interesting

Get it posted then Emma. :)

On my mothers side I have an ancestor who was shipped off to Oz for life. I am told that makes me Australian royalty! :unsure:

Guest Wingerdave

According to one of my relatives we're related to a bunch of sheep <removed> from the 14th century, so most of my relatives eat grass !!!! :-(

Seriously, though, I've only got back as far as 1841 at the moment. Just another 1000 years or so to go.

Dave.

I would be interested to know if any of my Styring ancestors are linked to yours;-

My grandmother was Beatrice Styring born 1884. Her father was Harvey Styring born 1856.His father was Charles William Styring born 1833 and his father was Charles Styring born approx. 1805 all in Sheffield.

Hi everyone,

I am a Styring on my mothers side :)

I have a few questions for anyone that has had the opportunity to read 'Earls Without Coronets'. It is regarding the genealogy side of things. As I have not been able to gain access to the book as I am Australian, I wanted to get some further information on the genealogy from Styrbjorn to Karl (Styrthorgrimsson) of York. I have seen the family tree with descendants etc. but have the urge to delve a little deeper. I have had no luck finding any information on Thorbrand (Styrbjorn's brother) online. I also am curious as to why Karl would be surnamed Styrthorgrimsson and not Thorbrandsson after his father which was the normal naming system in Scandinavia at the time.

Thank you in advance!

Regards all the way from the land down under!

Bownes Family Tree

So far I have traced back to John Bownes Born in Eckington in 1654.

It obviously gets harder the further back you go.