JOE SHAW

graham c

WITHOUT DOUBT THE GREATEST UNITEDITE EVER. HE WAS THE BEST DEFENDER THEY HAVE EVER HAD AND HE WOULD TURN IN BRILLIANT PERFORMANCES, WEEK IN WEEK OUT, YEAR IN YEAR OUT.

OVER 600 GAMES FOR ONE CLUB IN THE CONDITIONS THEY HAD TO PLAY IN, SPEAKS FOR ITS SELF. AND EVEN WHEN HE PACKED IT IN,APART FROM A BRIEF SPELL AS COACH AT YORK CITY,THE MAN IS, I BELIEVE, STILL AT LANE.

PEOPLE USED TO GO TO LANE SOLELY TO SEE HIM PLAY. HE WAS AN ARTIST AT TAKING THE BALL AWAY FROM OPPONENTS WITHOUT THEM REALISING,AND LEAVE THEM RUNNING ON.HE WAS NOT A BIG LAD, BUT HIS BRAIN AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE GAME MADE UP FOR THIS,AND HE WAS NOT AFRAID TO TAKE ON AND BEAT PLAYERS TOWERING HIM. HIS SKILL WOULD MAKE HIM A WOW NOW, IN FACT HE COULD HAVE PLAYED AT ANY LEVEL IN ANY ERA. PITY BILLY WRIGHT WAS THE BLUE EYED BOY AT THE TIME.HE WOULD HAVE AND SHOULD HAVE GOT MANY A CAP.

I was there too!

Ok not really there but do have a very early memory of looking out from the hill by me Nana and Grandad's on Ann's Road North and seeing the floodlights and so so much wishing I was there as the feeling of a packed ground (and my Wednesdayite Grandad telling me what a great player he was) seemed magical, even from a mile away!

Guest fredmciverslovechild

I was at Joe Shaw's testimonial as well!

Seem to recall that it was United v an International XI and Jimmy Hagan played for United, years after he retired....