Oakwood Collegiate School

Guest lizzie81

Guest lizzie81

Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 13.45.59.jpg

OAKWOOD COLLEGIATE SCHOOL
74 Norwood Road, Sheffield

Apparently there was a school in Pitsmoor called Oakwood School. One of the buildings it used was on Devon Road (which is now used as a private dwelling). Does anyone know anything about this school?. Any information would be very much appreciated.

Lizzie

lizzie81 said:
Apparently there was a school in Pitsmoor called Oakwood School. One of the buildings it used was on Devon Road (which is now used as a private dwelling). Does anyone know anything about this school?. Any information would be very much appreciated.

Lizzie

Hi lizzie81.

There was an Oakwood Collegiate School at 74 Norwood Road,

it may be the same place.

Guest lizzie81

Hi lizzie81.

There was an Oakwood Collegiate School at 74 Norwood Road,

it may be the same place.

Thanks for the info and links. I'm sure that must be the school. I wonder if anyone has any recollections of the building on Devon Road being used as part of the school.

Lizzie

Thanks for the info and links. I'm sure that must be the school. I wonder if anyone has any recollections of the building on Devon Road being used as part of the school.

Lizzie

Steve's right there lizzie81. My mum lives on Norwood Road and a chap across the road went to school there. I'll ask him if he remembers the building on Devon Road. I think there are also photos in JR Wrigley's book on Pitsmoor.

There is a recent photo of the site on here see post 10 & 11.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...st=0#entry30934

Lizzie

I started at Oakwood Collegiate School at the tender age of 3 in 1957 and left to go to boarding school in 1964. The Junior school was on Devon Road, and then we moved on to the "big school" on Norwood Road aged 7 or 8. I think some pupils stayed on until 13 or 14.

Devon Road had a big back garden with a fallen tree and a sand pit - a perfect playground. Norwood road had a big playing field as well as a yard and gardens.

Oakwood was the most wonderful little school, staffed mainly by single or widowed women of a certain age, fantastically creative and inspiring teachers; I learned to love books, plays, maths, writing, dancing, drawing. We were taken to see Shakespeare plays at Stratford from the age of about 7 (goodness knows what the cast thought when they saw all those tiny kids in the audience!). I think I heard that it closed after the headmistress and owner Mrs Holroyd died, but I'm not sure.

I have good old fashioned school photos from 1960 and 1962 on the wall in my office.

Guest simonu

Hello, I went to Oakwood School from 1965-1968,best school i ever went to, i too went to Stratford upon Avon to see 'As you like it' we were given strict instructions not to purchase the opera glasses otherwisw we would be spanked,how times have changed. Mrs Skelton was my teacher, my only regret was that i did not save my school badge from my blazer'the oak tree'if anyone out there has one i would greatly receive.

Guest David Wood

Hello, I went to Oakwood School from 1965-1968,best school i ever went to, i too went to Stratford upon Avon to see 'As you like it' we were given strict instructions not to purchase the opera glasses otherwisw we would be spanked,how times have changed. Mrs Skelton was my teacher, my only regret was that i did not save my school badge from my blazer'the oak tree'if anyone out there has one i would greatly receive.

I also went to Oakwood 1960-3 and feel the same way. I remember the hours were 9:30-3.00 and 8 weeks holiday! But we were sprinting along compared to the better funded State School kids. Mrs Holroyd had a good heart and loved kids in fact she was probably the most approachable of all the teachers...what better tribute can anyone leave behind?

Guest Francine

Lizzie

Dear Lizzie,

Only just found your message and Sheffield history site. I am an expat Iliving in Oz since 1969). Oh have I yearned in my Victorian past much beyond the experience of my peers to find some history on Oakwood. My question to you is 'What is your connection?' I began my education at the Oakwood Collegiate Infants on Devon Rd. c. 1963 and then one transferred to the 'big girls school' at age 8 years. Oakwood was my whole education until 10 years until migrating to Australia. These of course were formative years and I have lots of info. and memories which haunt me today. Do get back if you sight this. Others may too. I know names of kids and teachers, and anecdotes and Sheffield stuff of unusual memory in the sixties. Those kindred ones out there please return messages.

Francine X

74 Norwood Road

1911 - Harry Turner, Newagent, 13 & 15 Bank Street/ 34 High Street; home 74 Norwood Road

1919 & 1925 - Richard Thomas Hartley, Manager (of what I don't know), 74 Norwood Road.

Hi Lizzie

I went to Oakwood first at Devon Road (1958), then Norwood Road (1959) then a third branch (down the main road from Devon Road) where we spent the year and a half up to 11+.

I remember chestnut leaves swirling down at Devon Road, Mr Beal having us do army-type exercises in the yard behind Norwood House, and the boys played soccer in the field next door, using hard, dusty old soccer boots kept in a building at the end of the yard. (I pestered them once till they let me play soccer with the boys too - liberated).

Open fire in the top right (class)room, where Mrs North was the class teacher.

At the third branch there was a sloping shady drive and we played marbles in the crevices at the base of the rockery.

And the uniform was brown blazer and yellow gingham in summer.

Yes, pretty much all happy memories and we were certainly taught well, with radio programmes some afternoons for music, history and geography that came with glossy booklets. After 11+ we spent a few weeks back at Norwood house where we were introduced to french! and science!

Kit

Guest hallamphil

Lizzie

22 Devon Road also known as Somersby House was formerly used as Oakwood junior School (1950-70) and is not the building depicted in one contributor's photographs.

I have lived there for 8 years now and have the following questions:

1 What is the origin of the 'Somersby House' name?

2 Why is the house called number 22 when there are not other houses on that side and when only the Limes Club was on that side of the street?

3 What was the function of the outhouse at the end of the garden before it was the boys toilet in the school days?

Does anyone recall there being a side entrance from Abbeyfield rd?

I'd be interested in any interestin info regarding this property.

Philip

I also went to Oakwood 1960-3 and feel the same way. I remember the hours were 9:30-3.00 and 8 weeks holiday! But we were sprinting along compared to the better funded State School kids. Mrs Holroyd had a good heart and loved kids in fact she was probably the most approachable of all the teachers...what better tribute can anyone leave behind?

I can remember you David Wood at Oakwood!!! lol What a fantastic school it was. I have looked at this thread on Friends Reunited but it lacks lustre don´t you think? Let´s face it Oakwood was a bit of a cram school but we did learn such diverse subjects and topics. I hope to hear from other people who were there...

Hi Lizzie

I went to Oakwood first at Devon Road (1958), then Norwood Road (1959) then a third branch (down the main road from Devon Road) where we spent the year and a half up to 11+.

I remember chestnut leaves swirling down at Devon Road, Mr Beal having us do army-type exercises in the yard behind Norwood House, and the boys played soccer in the field next door, using hard, dusty old soccer boots kept in a building at the end of the yard. (I pestered them once till they let me play soccer with the boys too - liberated).

Open fire in the top right (class)room, where Mrs North was the class teacher.

At the third branch there was a sloping shady drive and we played marbles in the crevices at the base of the rockery.

And the uniform was brown blazer and yellow gingham in summer.

Yes, pretty much all happy memories and we were certainly taught well, with radio programmes some afternoons for music, history and geography that came with glossy booklets. After 11+ we spent a few weeks back at Norwood house where we were introduced to french! and science!

Kit

The other part of the school was a house on Barnsley Road. I remember the radio programmes fondly, "Singing Together", Nature Study, etc. Also remember the last term after 11plus starting French studies, it certainly helped when I moved the the High School (which I hated after Oakwood - probably because it was an all girls school and I was used to having boys as mates lol )

I started at Oakwood Collegiate School at the tender age of 3 in 1957 and left to go to boarding school in 1964. The Junior school was on Devon Road, and then we moved on to the "big school" on Norwood Road aged 7 or 8. I think some pupils stayed on until 13 or 14.

Devon Road had a big back garden with a fallen tree and a sand pit - a perfect playground. Norwood road had a big playing field as well as a yard and gardens.

Oakwood was the most wonderful little school, staffed mainly by single or widowed women of a certain age, fantastically creative and inspiring teachers; I learned to love books, plays, maths, writing, dancing, drawing. We were taken to see Shakespeare plays at Stratford from the age of about 7 (goodness knows what the cast thought when they saw all those tiny kids in the audience!). I think I heard that it closed after the headmistress and owner Mrs Holroyd died, but I'm not sure.

I have good old fashioned school photos from 1960 and 1962 on the wall in my office.

Hi Kay, I think we must have been peers at Oakwood, I started at 4 in 1956 (Miss Beardsley or Beardsmore´s class). Lots of "Farmer in the Dell" and I could read Noddy books all the way through by 5 :) I still have most of my reports from Oakwood, must dig them out, although I do remember dancing received a "rather heavy on her feet" comment :P Mrs Holroyd did have a son called Bill, who lived in Canada, (I think my Dad knew him from wartime RAF days) he used to visit the school from time to time but obviously didn´t fancy taking it on when his mother passed away.

Do you remember the honour of being chosen as a "Gravy Girl" i.e. being allowed to pour the gravy on the younger kids´ dinners, also custard on their puds too! Phew what a responsibility!!

The trips to Stratford were brilliant, in addition to seeing the plays we also had a trip on the Avon and a walk round the shops. We were obviously very well behaved children, I remember seeing Midsummer Nights Dream and the Tempest, which I thought was most exciting as the character of Ariel was played by a guy with very few clothes on, pretty thrilling at ten!! ;-)

I can remember quite a lot of attendees´names from those days so would love to hear more from you. Some of the teachers I remember are Mrs Skelton, Mrs Frecheville, Mr Beal (and his baggy red swimming trunks!), Mrs Cope, Mrs Wilde (she rapped my knuckles with a ruler for some misdemeanour :o ), Mrs Swift. There was also Mrs Brunt the cook at Norwood Road who cooked the most disgusting beetroot as a vegetable accompaniment to meals, I had only ever eaten it pickled but we had to eat it hot there, ugh!! To this day the smell of cooking beetroot brings back a sinking feeling :P

Oh well, could go on forever, so will stop before I become too boring :(

Guest Rosehad

Yes I can tell you whatever you want to know I was a student of Oakwood in the 1960's. There was a teacher there called Mrs Elsie Cope and another called Mrs wright.

The school uniform was brown and yellow, there should be some school photographs on Friends reunited page.

People who attended when I was there:

Trevor (Top Cat) Carnell (Head Prefect), Ian Black (father was a private detective in sheffield 1960's) David Kerry, John Best, David Wood (Woody) also there was one of the Market Stall holders boys. Had a fruit and veg stall in Sheffield Market. I also think his uncle was the pot man EDWARDS.

Could have been Mick Edwards and many others. Angelia Marsh, Adrian Smith sadly died whilst we were attending school from a brain tuma.

The school had annual group photographs taken by a local well known photographers.....Could have been Seamans of London Road but not too sure.

You would have to check with some of the guys- ex pupils on friends reunited.

There was also a teacher called Mrs Harrison. The main school was on Norwood road but Devonshire Road School as it was known was for infants.

I think the overall head mistress might have been a Mrs Allroyd...a victorian looking stern lady who was of good hieght and posture and well spoken. It also could have been that she was the main owner or at least one of a board of owners. I think Mrs Wright took the first level class those who came from Devonshire Road then you moved up into Mrs Harrisons Class (A really lovely lady passed retirement by 1965 when I left) then the next class was Mrs Sargent and finally Mrs Cope took the seniors.

I am not sure about Mrs Allroyds name it could have been spell Holroyd not certain.

The school on Norwood Road was big there was a field to the right hand side which was mainly gravel and had a big tree in the middle, this was used for playing games. However there was a tarmac surface to the rear used for net ball etc. At the bottom of this tarmac yard was two out buildings, one had a table tennis table and the PE teacher (a male could have been mrs benny? can not be sure) held table tennis competitions. This table was taken down and there were pegs for clothes and that room was used as a changing room for sports events. There was also another younger female teacher slim attractive, in about 1964-65 she was having an affair with the PE teacher.

The school had a good turnover of students and many went on to Colleges like Barnsley Tech, Chesterfield Tech, Sheffield Tech.

The school did not progress to O levels you had to go to another school to take your O level examinations.

You say your name is KAY....and you left in 1964....therefore you must know me...I was in Mrs Copes Class when Adrian Smith Died.

I left in 1965. I was The head prefect Trevor Carnell and I was commonly known by many as TC or TOPCAT.

If you want any further help send me a PM (personal message)

Guest rcolley

My wife & I both went tio Oakwood, although we didn't know each other at the time. Probably because she was near the top of the class and I was near the bottom.

She started in 1949 and I about 53 or 54. We both left in 1956 after the 11 plus.

The infants school was in Devon Road. The main school in Norwood Road. The final year was spent at 304 Barnsley Road. Memories of that final year are of constant exam pracice almost every day.

Pupils at Oakwood were expected to pass the 11 plus, That is what our parents paid for. Anyone who dared to fail was virually in disgrace. There was a lot of pressure to pass. Our reward for passing was a trip to Hathersage swimming pool, Haddon Hall & Hardwick House.

We both remember the school dinners, rice or steamed pudding every day without fail.

Teachers we remember: Mrs Holroyd, the two Mrs Twydales, Mrs Kennedy, Mr Boyes, Mrs Smith, Mrs Wilde, Mrs Day, Mrs North, Mrs Walton.

I recall an encounter with the younger Mrs Twydale. She asked the class how old we thought she was. Everyone else said, 21, 22, 23. I then called out "No she's about 30". I was not popular after that.

Guest christopher.rose

Hello,

I went to Oakwood from the 1960-61 school year, to 1966-67 school year. I left after the 11+ exams, although as we lived in Stannington and so a few hundred yards into the West Riding I, and a hand full of others didn't actually sit the exams we spent so much time preparing for.

I started at Devon Road in Mrs White's class - 1961, then Mrs Brearly (twice I think 62 & 63), then Mrs Swift in 1964.

Then we transfered over to Norwood Road but I can't recall the first teacher's name - but ended with Mrs Skelton.

All the teachers were fantastic and I must say I enjoyed that school more than words can say.

I was classmates with Michael Wille, Michelle Spence, Philip Beat, Philip Burmah, Rita Wittington (who had wonderful hair done in 'spring coils'), Jean Damms and many more.

We were at Devon Road in the great winter of 1963 and built an ice-fort between the old trees next to the big sand pit that lasted for ages.

At Norwood Road only the girls were allowed to play in the front garden, but boys and girls together in the tarmac back yard. The playing field (mostly cinders) was usually too wet, but in the spring and summer there were wickets painted on the dividing wall where we boys played cricket.

Outdoor toilets of course - boys accessed from the back yard, girls from the front.

We had a small 'tuck-shop' at break time - but were only allowed either two nice-biscuits at 1/2d each, or 1 digestive at 1d - no more or we'd spoil our dinner.

Guest kay east yorkshire

Steve's right there lizzie81. My mum lives on Norwood Road and a chap across the road went to school there. I'll ask him if he remembers the building on Devon Road. I think there are also photos in JR Wrigley's book on Pitsmoor.

There is a recent photo of the site on here see post 10 & 11.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...st=0#entry30934

I attended Oakwood Collegiate School from the age of 5 in 1954. My Aunt was a teacher there and was called Mrs. Francis Alice Day. The Head Mistress was called Mrs. Holdroyd.

i remember the uniform was brown gymslip, brown blazer with a yellow oaktree badge and we wore a brown beret. In the summer the uniform was yellow gingham check and

we had to wear a straw panama hat! I also remember Mr. Boyes who was the games master and Mrs. Fretwell who was my first teacher, whom I loved dearly. Also I remember

Mrs. North who was also a very nice lady. However, there were a few teachers there who were very strict and I was scared to death to get anything wrong. Going to Oakwood

put me in good stead for my future. We had elecution lessons and manners were of prime importance - It was a bit like 'the Prime of Miss Jean Brodie' kind of school. I moved

away from Sheffield when I was 11 to live at the seaside, but always remember my days at Oakwood and living in Sheffield. In the same class as me were Cheryl Colbridge,

Janet Wrigley and my lovely 'boyfriend' Michael Doyle !!

Kay

Guest shanman

In reply to the post by Francine(ex pat living in Oz).I was in the same class as you-can,t remember the teachers name but possible was Mrs.Fretwell.We used to have religion classes with Mrs.Skelton...what a lovely old dear.She gave me her old family bible which I still have to this day.Wish I had photos to share but for some reason don't have any.Have very fond memories of both schools & can even remember the exact layout of the houses.I know the house on Norwood Road was torn down( after Mrs.Holyrod died as her husband wanted nothing to do with the school or the house).Have been living on Canada now for a number of years but I believe it was rebuilt as an old folks retirement home.Would love to hear from you.

Guest Janine Owen

Hello all, my mother was Mrs Cope who used to teach the seniors at Oakwood. My brother and I both were pupils there in the 50's/60's. I remember the main building, now sadly disappeared and the Devon Rd annexe. Those trips to Stratford were the highlight of the year. After 21 years of teaching inner city kids I can't imagine them having the same enthusiasm for the bard.

I think Mrs Holdroyd was well past retirement age when I was there and went on to complete several more years after. Mrs Lewis was kindly as was Mrs Fretwell and was it Mrs North who was stern (scared me anyway)

I'm still in regular touch with John Stringfellow who was in my class (but always chasing Angela Wild!) - we used to sit next to each other at Hillsborough, and Vicky Nath (ex Burgin) Have also had messages from Adrian Senior and Alastair Gent via Friends reunited.

Kit who's posted earlier, are you Kit nee Pearce?

Sadly Mum died at the very young age of 59 after moving to live in Hampshire. Brother Ian lives down there still.

Would love to reunite with any of you who remember me.

Janine Owen nee Cope

Guest dandie01

I went to Oakwood and left in 1961 after passing 11+. It was A happy time and those rice puddings in the big silver bowls were lovely. I remember Mrs Smith in my last year. She was great. The radio lessons where we all sang along. What memories.

Oakwood was widely known as a "cramming " school where parents, who could afford the fees, sent their children so as to pass the "11plus examination".

Guest Nick Sievewright

Hi everyone, I found this link purely by mistake last night looking for Oakwood School. I used to go to both the infants and the secondary school many many years ago. I'm now a professional photographer in Sheffield and some months ago i was photographing for the city council on Norwood Rd and was so disappointed to see the old building gone and other houses in its place. I popped across to the infants school and the building is still there but it's now a house or flats

I have many happy memories of my time in both schools from (i think) 1958 to 1961 / 62 when my parents moved us out to Bakewell. The only friends name i can recall with clarity was Mark Goodman but I have other faces in my head but no names

I remember the smell of plasticine, the tuck shop, the second play ground at Norwood road that didnt seem to have any grass but was a sandy colour. I think Mrs White was my teacher at the infants and i remember crying my little eyes out on my first day when my mum dropped me off at the infants - happy days eh!!

Nick Sievewright

www.footprintphoto.biz

Guest Sally Murfitt

Hi, just been copied into this link by my brother. He, I and my sister Kit all went to Oakwood at various times in the 60s.

such familiar names! I remember Mrs White - such a comforting presence in the Infants at Devon Road (my sister and I visited there a couple of years ago and it still looked much the same. And then Mrs Cope, Mrs Swift, Mrs Fretwell and I think there was a Mr Fuchs in my last couple of years. I think it is Mrs Fretwell's voice I still hear in my mind to this day saying in an exasperated tone "It's F R I E N D and I'll fry your end if you don't get it right"

And yes, several trips to Stratford leaving from outside Coles. And the Nativity play which I think took place in a community hall further down the valley.

Names of contemporaries are few - John Higginbotham and Jeremy Chitty come to mind plus a Michael although Michal who I can't remember

The other memory is small bottle of milk having been warmed on the radiators in the winter and tasting DISGUSTING

I have a photo, is it possible to post photos?