Bottom of Commercial Street

Guest pidd

Guest pidd

Are there any photos or information on a small shoe repair shop at the bottom of commercial st ,well directly at the bottom but across the main rd.

It was run by Jim Cranswick a master shoemaker /saddler etc. He was a friend who taught me leatherwork when i was 18yrs.

He was a nice man, he also repaired famous peoples climbing boots.

Are there any photos or information on a small shoe repair shop at the bottom of commercial st ,well directly at the bottom but across the main rd.

It was run by Jim Cranswick a master shoemaker /saddler ect. He was a friend who taught me leatherwork when i was 18yrs.

He was a nice man ,he also repaired famous peoples climbing boots.

Hello pidd,

sounds like the shop was on Sheaf St.

I do rember a Leather/Saddler's shop that I bought some studs from

to put in my leather belt,

that would have been mid 60's.

I wonder if it could have been the same one that you refer to?

Here's a section of map showing the bottom of Commercial St and part of Sheaf St.

Link to map #4

My dad, Maurice Newton used to run the shop there (35 Sheaf St) in the 1950's & early 1960s. He sold & repaired leather goods. During the school holidays, I used to sit in the top window above the shop, looking up Commercial street & spotting bus route numbers as the constant stream of buses came down Commercial Street. My dad sold the shop because the Council said that they were going to redevelop the site (to Park Square), but in fact they didn't do so until several years later. It must have been during that period that Jim Cranswick ran that shop.

On 16/10/2017 at 06:14, barry0088 said:

59e43ffbd1600_35SheafSt(1965)(leftoftelegraphpole).jpg.3b73f7bb7c090a8c1a09b9ef377c15b5.jpgHerewith a photo of the parade of shops including 35 Sheaf Street

Wow I never knew that’s what it looked like down there - I assume the roundabout sits on top of where these shops were?

What other shops were there - was there a pub?

Yes, here is a before & after picture showing that the roundabout now sits on top of the Sheaf St shops.

I remember that at no 37 Sheaf St was Calcott's fishing tackle shop. Beyond that was a Ford Garage as shown. I don't remember any pubs on Sheaf St, but I was only about 9 years old when I used to visit my dad's shop to log "Bus Route Numbers" coming down Commercial St, so I wasn't really into pubs much then!

Before & After - Sheaf Street -post-6334-0-12570400-1313352944_thumb2_edited-1.jpg

Yes, thanks - that is indeed the shop. I am very grateful to R.Longden for finding this picture. I will add it to my family archive.

A busy time of the year was during the school holidays as my dad sold many school bags. As a schoolchild during the 6 weeks holidys, I used to deliver leaflets for my dad advertising suitcases & schoolbags, for example around Park Hill Flats.