Claremont House (residents)

RichardB

yes, there were terraced houses - and cottages - down there. some became offices for Marshalls, and some (Jim Swift's cottage I think) got demolished when the dam was built. Maybe try Sheffield Archives, or even Bradfield Archives.

The Storrs Bridge Rolling Mills were Swift Bros in 1908 according to Kelly's.

On 14/03/2012 at 10:10, tim99 said:

no, I never worked there - it was my Grandparents house, I spent lots of my childhood there, well before it was offices or the sports & social club. Yes, it was a lovely house, and the inside was nicely laid out. I still have the plans somewhere, and lots more photos. The cellars were extensive (and scary!) too, and the attic rooms housed a Spanish couple, Jon & Sita, who were effectively the cook, housemaid & handyman. They were followed by Julia & Gabriel Pitarch. The downstairs rooms were a kitchen, dining room, hall, sitting room, and morning room, upstairs were 2 bathrooms and 4 bedrooms. The main staircase had lovely wrought Iron railings, and the window at the halfway mark was beautiful stained glass. The gardener was called Arthur - I have a photo of him on his 'Barford Atom' truck somewhere. There was also Maud & Millie Hague (from Leader Rd, Hillsborough) who used to help there, they were both "old retainers" and went on working for my Gran long after Grandpa had died in 1965.

My aunt has loads more memories of Claremont too, as she was brought up there from the mid 1940's - maybe she'll write them down for Posterity one day ! I'll gather a few more photos together and post later if I can.

Apologies for dragging this topic back from the dead.

Did you ever manage to find the rest of those photos? I've been fascinated by the house since the early 1990s (I think) when I saw it for sale and couldn't afford to buy it.