Paradise Square

Guest Jeremy

9th October 1816

Public meeting in Paradise-square, to consider means to be adoptedjfor the relief of the country.

Thomas Rawson, Esq! president; resolved to present a petition to the Prince Regent, praying him to direct

his Ministers to reduce the burden of taxation, and to restore a free representation to the country.

24th November 1842.

The O'Connor Chartists meet in Paradise square, and elect delegates to the Complete Suffrage Conference.

Not Paradise Square at all but very close.

I can picture in my minds-eye most of what I need to of old Sheffield (not as much as perhaps I would like) but I can't picture Paradise Lane.

Are there any significant buildings on there ? Anyone have any history or residents or pictures (I can't do the Google Street view-thing). Is it a Lane that you can get a car along, is it a remaining cobbled place please ?

Thank you

[i was briefing in Sheffield today but unable time-wise to make it into town]

From Woodnotes of a Wanderer by John Ramsey

TAMMY M'QUHAE.

Air—" The Campbells are comin'."

Ye slee Norlan' billies that trudge wi' the pack,

Should steel-vexin' Sheffield e'er come on your track,

And shelter be wantin' at close o' the day,

Be sure that ye spier for ane Tammy M'Quhae.

His sign is the " Auld Cock in Paradise-square,"

And routh o' the comforts o' life ye'll get there;

Prince Albert himsel', " on his wife's washing day,

" Might safely tak' pat-luck wi' Tammy M'Quhae."

He never gets sulky, he never gets dool,

Can crack wi' the wise, and can counsel the fool;

Ye'll travel the length o' a hale simmer day,

Nor meet wi' a landlord like Tammy M'Quhae.

And lang in the square may the " Auld Cock" be seen,

And aye be his cavie baith cozie and bein;

And lang may auld Fate unto Death answer, nay,

When Baneshanks seeks leave to tak' Tammy 
M'Quhae.

Sheffield, Nov. 1843.

Not Paradise Square at all but very close.

I can picture in my minds-eye most of what I need to of old Sheffield (not as much as perhaps I would like) but I can't picture Paradise Lane.

Are there any significant buildings on there ? Anyone have any history or residents or pictures (I can't do the Google Street view-thing). Is it a Lane that you can get a car along, is it a remaining cobbled place please ?

Thank you

[i was briefing in Sheffield today but unable time-wise to make it into town]

As far as I know Richard, Paradise Lane is no more than an entrance into the backs of the surrounding buildings. I don't know if it was ever anything else. Definitely not cobbled.

I've had it in mind to take a photo for you but not had the chance yet. Parking around there is nigh on impossible.

Plan "B" is to stop, wind the window down and hope I can manage a decent snap, before I get a ticket. :)

Thank you, I have vague memories now of a very narror, inconsequential lane with the backs of buildings, however :

Walter Milner, Embosser & writer on glass, 1 Paradise Lane

Odediah Owen, Machinest, Paradise Lane

both 1893.

So somebody lived there, just seemed a poor showing, two people.

Thank you, I have vague memories now of a very narror, inconsequential lane with the backs of buildings, however :

Walter Milner, Embosser & writer on glass, 1 Paradise Lane

Odediah Owen, Machinest, Paradise Lane

both 1893.

So somebody lived there, just seemed a poor showing, two people.

Here you are Richard. Not very exciting I'm afraid.

Obviously completely new on the lower side but there seem to be a few entrances plus back yards on the top side which will be the rear of the buildings on Paradise Sq. Maybe some of these back yard buildings were rented out at one time. Not much help I'm afraid.

I suppose there could also have been something at the far end at one time.

It's a bit dark down there so not much detail in the photos. B)

View from Paradise Street

Looking towards Paradise Street.

Here you are Richard. Not very exciting I'm afraid.

Obviously completely new on the lower side but there seem to be a few entrances plus back yards on the top side which will be the rear of the buildings on Paradise Sq. Maybe some of these back yard buildings were rented out at one time. Not much help I'm afraid.

I suppose there could also have been something at the far end at one time.

It's a bit dark down there so not much detail in the photos. B)

Interesting enough, I'm just sending you places to see if I can get you arrested !!! Green Lane next ... Saturday at Noon - where I was approached by a Lady of the Night who asked if I was lost (when I declined the offer of business), Yes, by about 160 years I said :blink:

Sampson Crapper, formerly of Paradise Lane, Sheffield, dealer in pots, afterwards of Walkley, dealer in pots, publican and saw and fender grinder, and late of Serjeant's Row, in the Wicker, Sheffield, dealer in pots and saw grinder.

Insolvent, 1828

Walkley Cottage/Cottage/ The Old Cottage

Guest andreabro

Hi

Richard B where did you find the info re Sampson Crapper spent many bleary hours searching then i find this post by you

fantastic

Hi

Richard B where did you find the info re Sampson Crapper spent many bleary hours searching then i find this post by you

fantastic

Hi Andreabro and Welcome to the Site; glad to have been able to provide something of interest.

Can't remember where it came from, I'm afraid, definitely Insolvency records, probably just lots more bleary hours searching for "stuff" that has nothing to do with me, then bunging it on here for general consumption.

Free free to add any other information you might find about Samuel and his family; some of us actually read all this stuff !

Guest andreabro

Hi Andreabro and Welcome to the Site; glad to have been able to provide something of interest.

Can't remember where it came from, I'm afraid, definitely Insolvency records, probably just lots more bleary hours searching for "stuff" that has nothing to do with me, then bunging it on here for general consumption.

Free free to add any other information you might find about Samuel and his family; some of us actually read all this stuff !

Hi

where will i find insolvancy records

Sampson Crapper, formerly of Paradise Lane, Sheffield, dealer in pots, afterwards of Walkley, dealer in pots, publican and saw and fender grinder, and late of Serjeant's Row, in the Wicker, Sheffield, dealer in pots and saw grinder.

Insolvent, 1828

Walkley Cottage/Cottage/ The Old Cottage

I have Sampson Crapper/Cropper (sometimes difficult to read) at The Cottage in 1828 and 1829 (directory information may have been prepared/printed in advance of the Insolvency).

Also got to be worth looking at "All Nations", Water Lane in our Pub A-Z Index - a Samuel Crapper there in 1837, 1839, also possibly, Mary Crapper in 1841. Making no claims regarding these - just for your information - give you something to chase. Source of this kind of information - three plus years of bleary-eyed searching and the help of several good people on this Site (they know who they are).

Hi Fellow SHs

I have found this item in The Australian Mercury September 1917

that just touches on Paradise Square Hebrew School actual date not

shown.

The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860-1954) Monday 3 September 1917

Superstitios people may find significance in a series of coincidences which marked the Chief Rabbi's

pastoral visit to Sheffield in june. On tho 8th he visited the North Church street Synagogue and found

the clock of the Synagogue stopped. On the 9th he visited the Central Synagogue, Campo lane, and

found the clock stopped. On Sunday morning, the 10th, he visited the Hebrew schools, Paradise square,

and there also the clock was stopped. Again, in the afternoon, lecturing in the Montgomory hall,

the clock stopped (3.43 p.m.) just as he the Chief Rabbi, commenced to deliver his lecture.

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/artic...quare+sheffield

Guest Bryan Spink

This may be of interest:

"Miscellaneous counterpart leases and assignments - ref. CB/988-1008

FILE - Assignment of a lease - ref. CB/998 - date: 4 Aug 1821

[from Scope and Content] Charles Hodgson, of Broadlane, Sheffield, merchant, with Ann, wife of George Swinden, of Crookesmoor, par. Sheffield, scissorsmith, George Bustard, of Liverpool, Co. Lancs., excise officer, Matthew Bustard, of Sheffield, gilder, and Thomas Spink, of Hillam, par. Monkfryston, Co. Yorks., tailor, and his wife, Elizabeth, to the Rev. John Bustard, of Chesterfield, Co. Derbys., preacher of the gospel. Residue of a term of 99 years in: a plot of ground in Paradise Square, Sheffield being part of a plot of ground leased by the Burgesses to Robert Colver by a deed of 23 Jul 1778; a plot of ground in Paradise Square, being part of a plot of ground leased by the Burgesses to Francis Hoole by a deed of 2 Sep 1785; both of which became vested in John Bustard, decd. For £375."

I see you have a Widow Bustard at No 3 in 1797. Does anyone know anything about her? I have a John Bustard who married Ann Fuller.

Bryan

Guest levenside

This may be of interest:

"Miscellaneous counterpart leases and assignments - ref. CB/988-1008

FILE - Assignment of a lease - ref. CB/998 - date: 4 Aug 1821

[from Scope and Content] Charles Hodgson, of Broadlane, Sheffield, merchant, with Ann, wife of George Swinden, of Crookesmoor, par. Sheffield, scissorsmith, George Bustard, of Liverpool, Co. Lancs., excise officer, Matthew Bustard, of Sheffield, gilder, and Thomas Spink, of Hillam, par. Monkfryston, Co. Yorks., tailor, and his wife, Elizabeth, to the Rev. John Bustard, of Chesterfield, Co. Derbys., preacher of the gospel. Residue of a term of 99 years in: a plot of ground in Paradise Square, Sheffield being part of a plot of ground leased by the Burgesses to Robert Colver by a deed of 23 Jul 1778; a plot of ground in Paradise Square, being part of a plot of ground leased by the Burgesses to Francis Hoole by a deed of 2 Sep 1785; both of which became vested in John Bustard, decd. For £375."

I see you have a Widow Bustard at No 3 in 1797. Does anyone know anything about her? I have a John Bustard who married Ann Fuller.

Bryan

Hi, I have just been browsing the web & seen this site. I have been researching the Bustards and have quite a bit of info. (mainly regarding Rev John & his niece Ann Fuller Bustard)I believe Ann Fuller's husband John died in 1794, so that could tie in with Widow bustard. Ann Fuller was the mother of Rev John, Sarah,George, Matthew, Elizabeth & Thomas. I see your surname is Spink & I know that there was a a friendship as well as family tie between the Spink, Bustard/Hansell family.

Hi, I have just been browsing the web & seen this site. I have been researching the Bustards and have quite a bit of info. (mainly regarding Rev John & his niece Ann Fuller Bustard)I believe Ann Fuller's husband John died in 1794, so that could tie in with Widow bustard. Ann Fuller was the mother of Rev John, Sarah,George, Matthew, Elizabeth & Thomas. I see your surname is Spink & I know that there was a a friendship as well as family tie between the Spink, Bustard/Hansell family.

Welcome to Sheffield History levenside.

Glad you have found somrthing of interest which may offer personal family history links.

No. 14, Paradise Square, Sheffield, occupied by William Bradbury, glass and china dealer, as dwellinghouse, saleshop and stockrooms;

no. 16, Paradise Square occupied by the Arundel Printing Co. as office and stock and workrooms containing specified machinery;

nos. 18 and 20 Paradise Square partly occupied by Charles Credland Ltd. as store for specified materials, and partly occupied by Sheffield Middle Class Schools with master's dwellinghouse;

no. 22 Paradise Square occupied as dwellinghouse and Hebrew School; buildings occupied by Credland as stables, harness room, fodder store, open cart shed; building occupied by Credland as store for empty casks and bottles and for cask painting; shed occupied by Credland as cart shed, empty can store and containing large brick set pot;

dwellinghouse situated at no. 24 Paradise Square;

no. 26 Paradise Square and no. 30 Silver Street Head occupied by W. H. Hattersley as office and wholesale warehouse for china, glass and earthenware, tin and ironware, brushes, toys and smallwares, and by Michael Lapatrick as dwellinghouse; buildings situated at opposite corner of Paradise Square/Silver Street Head to last, in course of erection or alteration to be occupied by "House of Help for Friendless Girls";

no. 15 Paradise Square, dwellinghouse;

no. 13 Paradise Square occupied by Walter Eagers, certified bailiff, as office and dwellinghouse;

no. 11 Paradise Square occupied as dwellinghouse and police institute;

nos. 7 and 9 Paradise Square, occupied by Dr. Harrison as dwellinghouse and surgery;

no. 5 Paradise Square, occupied by Brooke Brothers for letterpress printing, and by others as offices;

no. 3 Paradise Square, occupied by James Hill, razor manufacturer, as warehouse and workrooms and containing a brick built smith's hearth;

no. 1 Paradise Square occupied as a House of Help for Friendless Girls;

no. 44 Campo Lane, occupied as domestic washhouse and by Catholic Association as coal distributing depot;

no. 46 Campo Lane, partly occupied for domestic purposes and remainder by Househam and Co. for letterpress printing.

11th February 1908

Source

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 22.12.07.jpg

Quick one..

The building on the right in the centre with the white columns - looks v important - anyone know what it is/was?

It's number 18, Paradise Square