Richard Ibbotson Saw Maker

John Ibbotson

Hello everyone,

I'm new to all this so hope I am posting this to the right place and that it is relevant!

My 4x ggrandfather was a flaxdresser/farmer called Christopher Ibbotson, many of whose descendants were fairly prominent industrialists during Victorian times. I have collected large amounts of information about the various branches but am interested here in knowing whether anyone can provide any information about the attached photograph of a printer's plate: I bought it recently on ebay because Richard Ibbotson, Saw Maker, was one of my 4x great uncles. I know from trade directories that his factory was located for many years at "24 Norfolk lane & 183 Norfolk street". This was still the address in 1881, the year after he died. By 1905 the company (no longer in the family) was located at "Shoreham Works, White Croft". Apart from the attached, I have yet to find any photographs or prints of the factory and don't know whether the two locations above are one and the same and, if not, which one is represented in the picture?

I would appreciate any information anyone may have to help me with this,

Many thanks,

John Ibbotson

Richard IBBOTSON Saw manufacturer Sylvester Gardens Pigot's 1841

Richard IBBOTSON Saw, machine knife & calico web manufacturer 7 Shoreham Street White's 1849

Richard IBBOTSON Saw manufacturer Shoreham Saw Works, White Croft Kelly's 1893

Richard IBBOTSON The Sheffield Saw & Tool Co. Combined Limited, Saw Manufacturers Whitecroft & 82 Tenter Street White's 1911

Richard IBBOTSON The Sheffield Saw & Tool Co. (Combined) Ltd. Shoreham Street Works, White Croft & 82 Tenter Street White's 1919

Richard IBBOTSON The Sheffield Saw & Tool Co(Combined) Ltd, Saw Manufacturers Shoreham Saw Works, White Croft & 82 Tenter Street Kelly's 1925

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

Been around a while then ...

--------------------------------------------------

Sylvester Gardens ??

Good Luck, help yourself, keep us posted.

Guest skeets

Hello everyone,

I'm new to all this so hope I am posting this to the right place and that it is relevant!

My 4x ggrandfather was a flaxdresser/farmer called Christopher Ibbotson, many of whose descendants were fairly prominent industrialists during Victorian times. I have collected large amounts of information about the various branches but am interested here in knowing whether anyone can provide any information about the attached photograph of a printer's plate: I bought it recently on ebay because Richard Ibbotson, Saw Maker, was one of my 4x great uncles. I know from trade directories that his factory was located for many years at "24 Norfolk lane & 183 Norfolk street". This was still the address in 1881, the year after he died. By 1905 the company (no longer in the family) was located at "Shoreham Works, White Croft". Apart from the attached, I have yet to find any photographs or prints of the factory and don't know whether the two locations above are one and the same and, if not, which one is represented in the picture?

I would appreciate any information anyone may have to help me with this,

Many thanks,

John Ibbotson

HI John There was a GEORGE IBBOTSON SAW MAKERS Firm in Bailey lane in the 40's l worked on the extension to the office block, and still have a pocket knife that was given to me. as for your print, the firm could have been on Shoreham street,but knowing the area for the last 70yrs l don't recognise the building, it could have been on the site of the now Bramhall lane football ground , which of course, takes in Shoreham st.

Cheers Skeets.

Hi again,

Many thanks for all your replies: sorry for the delay getting back to you. I've been away from home, tantalisingly close to Sheffield (Hathersage) but unable to actually get further into Sheffield than the front of the railway station en route back to Aberystwyth!!

I noticed your question marks, Richard, alongside Sylvester Gardens: I can't provide any further information about that address other than the below which shows Richard there in 1846 aswell as 1841. In the 1841 census he appears to have been living with his parents at Archer House, Archer Lane, a way away from the city centre.

Trade Directories 1839-1879:

1839: Robson’s Birmingham and Sheffield Directory

Ibbotson Richard, 251 Arundel Street, Saw Manufacturer, Calico Web, Busk & Machine Knife Maker

1841: Pigot and Co.’s Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography

Saw Manufacturers: Ibbotson Richard, Sylvester Gardens

1846: Slater’s Directory of Leeds and Sheffield

Ibbotson Richard, Saw Manufacturers, Sylvester Gardens

1849: White’s General Directory of the Town and Borough of Sheffield

Ibbotson Rchd. saw, machine knife, & calico web. mfr. 7 Shoreham St

1852: White’s Gazetteer and General Directory of Sheffield

Ibbotson Rd. saw, calico web, machine knife, etc. mfr: 7 Shoreham Street

1856: White’s General Directory of the Town Borough and Parish of Sheffield

Ibbotson Rd. saw, calico web, machine knife, etc. 109 Norfolk Street

1857: White’s Derbyshire History, Gazetteer and Directory: Sheffield Alphabetical Directory

Ibbotson Rchd., machine knife, &c., mnfr., 109 Norfolk Street

1862: White’s General and Commercial Directory and Topography of the Borough of Sheffield

Ibbotson Richard, saw &c., mnfr., 21 Norfolk Lane, and 109 Norfolk Street

1879: White’s General and Commercial Directory of Sheffield

Ibbotson Richard, saw manufacturer, Shoreham Works, 183 Norfolk street and Norfolk Lane; h 97 Gell Street

1881: Kelly’s Directory of the West Riding of Yorkshire

Ibbotson Richard, manufacturer of saws, steel files & machine knives &c, Shoreham Works, 24 Norfolk lane & 183 Norfolk street; residence

97 Gell street

Ibbotson Frank Herbert, saw & file &c, manufacturer, see Ibbotson Richard; residence, 97 Gell street

Ibbotson Sarah (Mrs), saw manufacturer, see Ibbotson Richard, residence, 97 Gell street

1905: White’s Directory of Sheffield and Rotherham

Ibbotson Richard, manufacturer of steel, saws, files, machine and agricultural knives Shoreham Works, White Croft

Entry for Richard Ibbotson in the Official Illustrated Catalogue of the Great Exhibition of 1851 at the Crystal Palace:

Class 22-GENERAL HARDWARE

209 IBBOTSON, R., Shoreham Works, 7 Shoreham Street, Sheffield-Manufacturer.

Improved bill pruning saw. Black ebony plaeted handle saw. Rosewood handle saw, brass plate. Boxwood

handle, blue back saw. Angica wood handle saw. London pattern hand and back saw.

I also have the following extract from "The Industries of Sheffield, 1888":

Richard Ibbotson, Manufacturer of Steel, Saws, Files and Machine Knives, Shoreham Works, Norfolk Lane.- Among the enterprising and deservedly successful business men of Sheffield is Mr. John Riley Carr (late Mr. Richard Ibbotson), of Shoreham Works, Norfolk Lane. The trade conducted now by him has been in existence for over half a century (having been founded in 1826), and during this long time a leading position in the trade has been maintained by this house. The business is still carried out under the name of Richard Ibbotson. The premises occupied, the Shoreham Works, are well equipped with plant and machinery, and cover about a quarter of an acre of land. The buildings are two and three stories high, and afford accommodation for saw, file, forge and machine shops, warehouses, packing rooms, offices, etc., on an extensive scale; and, although there is no great display, a large and consistent trade is done in every description of steel, saws, files and machine knives. These goods are widely known as the best of their kind before the public, and whilst on the subject of the quality of the late Mr. Ibbotson’s manufactures, we may say that his saws took the first prize medal at the great Exhibition held in London, in the year 1851, a very eloquent testimony to the superiority of his productions. An efficient and very numerous staff of skilled workpeople are employed, and large quantities of goods are continually being despatched to all parts of the United Kingdom and to foreign countries. A large quantity of the different articles manufactured is always kept in stock, and orders are completed without waste of time. Mr. Carr is experienced in all departments of his important trade, and by giving personal attention to all business matters, and to the fulfilment of customers’ requirements, he has achieved, as he deserved, a thorough success. Mr Carr is a grandson of the late Mr. Riley Carr, of Bailey lane, of this town, who was the principal manufacturer of saws, files, etc.

In several later references the Shoreham Works are described as being at "White Croft": is anyone able to tell me where this is (or is it the same area?)

Many thanks,

John