Classic Programmes

Guest The General

I can't provide any photos as all my programmes are somewhere in the loft, but am I right in thinking some half sized programmes were produced in the late 60's early 70's? Also I recall a double header programme, same programme for for Saturday and Monday games v (from memory) West Ham and Nottingham Forest???

Then there was the season when every programme was a different colour.

Forget 1935 what about this one???

That 1907 programme must be like gold dust. Thanks so much for posting the image of it. My great grandfather, Tommy Crawshaw, captained Wednesday to beat Everton 2-1 that day. I've got both of his FA Cup Winner's medals - the 1896 one and the 1907 one. He's the only player in Wednesday's history to have gained two FA Cup winner's medals with the club - being, in 1907, the sole survivor from the team that won it first in 1896.

One of his most satisfying moments of the 1907 cup run was when Wednesday played Arsenal at St Andrews in Birmingham, in the semi final. It's a story passed down through our family from the old boy himself. Before the game, as he led the team out, the Arsenal capt. said - "I feel sorry for you today, because you simply won't be in it once we get started". At the final whistle, with the score at Wednesday 3-1 Arsenal, my gt grandfather went to shake hands with the Arsenal capt. and said - "does tha feel sorry for us now then?". The answer - if there was one - hasn't been recorded for posterity! All the best,

Tom Crawshaw

What a fantastic first post. welcome to the site Sheff6. Is there any chance you getting a picture of the medals and posting them on the site. I am good friends with one of the late Eric Taylors sons and he has both a 1935 and 1966 cup final shirt which he has framed and look fantastic. You can see them in this thread.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...?showtopic=1479

I've got both of his FA Cup Winner's medals - the 1896 one and the 1907 one. He's the only player in Wednesday's history to have gained two FA Cup winner's medals with the club - being, in 1907, the sole survivor from the team that won it first in 1896.

Fantastic - not only that - wasn't he also he was a member of two first division championship winning teams in 1903 & 1904 and didn't he win a number of England caps! Probably one of the most successful Owls players ever!

Yes you're right, he captained Wednesday to successive championship wins in 1902/3 and 1903/4 and gained 10 caps for England. He also played 11 times for the English Football League side. He was also the first captain at Hillsborough in 1899 after the move from Olive grove. Can you remember when Wednesday commemorated 100 yrs at Hillsborough in 1999? The front page of the match programme, of the game closest to the centenary date, showed Tommy C on one side of the Wednesday crest and the then captain - Andy Hinchcliffe, on the other side.

By the way - it would be a pleasure to post pics of his medals here. Problem is, I'm not sure how to do it. When I clicked on the icon 'insert image' I expected a 'browse' function to locate images from files on my computer but it requires a URL instead, so I'm not sure how I attach pics in that way. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Yes you're right, he captained Wednesday to successive championship wins in 1902/3 and 1903/4 and gained 10 caps for England. He also played 11 times for the English Football League side. He was also the first captain at Hillsborough in 1899 after the move from Olive grove. Can you remember when Wednesday commemorated 100 yrs at Hillsborough in 1999? The front page of the match programme, of the game closest to the centenary date, showed Tommy C on one side of the Wednesday crest and the then captain - Andy Hinchcliffe, on the other side.

By the way - it would be a pleasure to post pics of his medals here. Problem is, I'm not sure how to do it. When I clicked on the icon 'insert image' I expected a 'browse' function to locate images from files on my computer but it requires a URL instead, so I'm not sure how I attach pics in that way. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

That would be brilliant to see those. Here's a photo to be going on with. 1902/3 when Wednesday won 5 cups - they have a job on winning five games a season these days!

Do you have any of his England caps? Are you also related to Percy Crawshaw in this photo?

Many thanks for the picture upload instructions and kind comments mickjj and Dunsbyowl. Thanks for the team picture as well. I often used to puzzle about why my gt grandfather, being captain, wasn't in the centre of team photos at the front, until I realised that Edwardian photographers were more into symmetry than team hierarchy and with Andrew Wilson being the biggest player - he got the honours at the front. By the way, Percy Crawshaw, pictured on the back row, was Tommy's younger brother. I've uploaded pictures of three of Tommy Crawshaw's medals which are: from left to right - the medal that SWFC commissioned to commemorate two successive championship wins 1902/3 and 1903/4 and the FA Cup winner's medals 1896 and 1907. My apologies for the glare on the pictures. I took the pics in a bit of a hurry at the place where they're stored and although I took them without flash, there's still too much light on them. I also forgot to put them beside a ruler, so you can't judge how big they are in the pics. They're about the size of a 50 pence piece, made of 18 ct gold and each has the name T.H. Crawshaw inscribed on the back.

I've seen pictures of more modern FA cup winner's medals and the design is pretty much the same - except that the cusp at the top is a little less ornate these days. The other difference is that the shield, in the middle of the front face of the medals, shows the Royal Standard, whereas the shield in the modern medal contains the England flag. I'll see if I can get better pics taken somehow. I've got 15 of his 18 medals in all, including his representative medals playing for the English Football League. I think the English League side was discontinued around the 1960's - not certain though.

Dunsbyowl, you asked about his England caps. Unfortunately, I don't have any of them or the two individual league championship medals made by the Football League. The reason is - Tommy married again after his 1st wife died and without going into detail, his entire possessions including caps, medals and even spare England shirt badges, were ultimately sold at Christie's in Glasgow in 1993 and it cost me £12,000 to get most of them back into the family. I wasn't at the auction myself. I only knew it had happened after reading the newspapers. Christies kindly acted as intermediary for me, with the person who'd bought most of the collection - but non of his caps. That's why I have most medals back into the fold but no 'headgear'. I'd love to have the caps, but I've absolutely no idea where they are now. By the way, the person who bought the bulk of Tommy's collection at Christies, now in my possession, was a true Wednesday fan, and realising who I was, offered me all that he'd won at auction, at just the price he'd paid for them. How fortunate was I there and how big was that guy's heart? I still get choked up thinking about it.

My gt grandad kept the 'Sportsman's Group' pub (demolished long ago), opposite Owlerton greyhound stadium, after retiring from football. Afterwards, he kept 'The Yorkshireman' pub at the back of John Lewis's for many years and I think he also kept a newsagents shop- ironically on or near Bramall Lane. He died in Wharncliffe hospital in 1960, a few weeks before his 88th birthday - in absolute poverty. John Brodie - Wednesday historian and author of 'The Wednesday Boys' told me that at some point in his eighties, Tommy survived on handouts from Sheffield Wednesday. I'd like to think he would have been proud of me getting his possessions back into the family. :)

Sorry, I've taken us right off course with my last post. Hopefully, back on track with the 1960 semi against Blackburn at Maine Road. My dad went to this match and I recall him saying that some very dodgy refereeing decisions cost us the game.

Sorry, I've taken us right off course with my last post. Hopefully, back on track with the 1960 semi against Blackburn at Maine Road. My dad went to this match and I recall him saying that some very dodgy refereeing decisions cost us the game.

That and Derek Dougan's big shaved bald head lol

Don't think we've had this one!

Was at the game, the pitch was a mudbath and both Charle Cooke and Vic Mobley were injured by bone crushing tackles. But that was before subs were allowed and both carried on playing. They put Vic up front and I can still see him HOPPING to try and win a ball. Best part though was Jim MacCalliogs cartwheel after the second goal

Was at the game, the pitch was a mudbath and both Charle Cooke and Vic Mobley were injured by bone crushing tackles. But that was before subs were allowed and both carried on playing. They put Vic up front and I can still see him HOPPING to try and win a ball. Best part though was Jim MacCalliogs cartwheel after the second goal

Hi Mickjj, Vic Mobley was attended a match at Hillsborough a couple of seasons ago - I think he lives in Africa now and the club appealed on his behalf for film of the semi-final.

Here is the 1896 FA Cup final programme. It was played at the Crystal Palace and Wednesday beat Wolves to win their first FA Cup.

Guest The General

Here is the 1896 FA Cup final programme. It was played at the Crystal Palace and Wednesday beat Wolves to win their first FA Cup.

That is an awesome piece of history! Is it yours?

The General

That is an awesome piece of history! Is it yours?

The General

It is mine but I am afraid it is not an original but a full reproduction of the match programme. Still a nice possesion though.

If you read the ad in the bottom right hand corner you see it refers to the wednesday as "The Blades" lol

Guest lennonman

Great videos mickjj!! ive never seen the semi final before and cant believe they played on that pitch, it wouldnt happen today would it? was nearly six at the time and i was aware of great excitement in my family that we had got to Wembley but dont remember anything about the final itself. Weird really because i remember the day after and being taken into Sheffield to watch the team come home and being on my uncle's shoulders outside the town hall. Only told him the other year that i actually peed on him that day!! great memories of a great day.