Classic Programmes

Guest The General

Here I am holding what is widely accepted as the holy grail of Owls programmes. It is from the away leg of the Inter City Fairs Cup tie in 1962. There are only twelve known copies still around. My collecter freind had to part with over twelve hundred quid to get a hold of this copy. The only trouble I found in reading it is it's all in bloody spanish lol .

Here I am holding what is widely accepted as the holy grail of Owls programmes. It is from the away leg of the Inter City Fairs Cup tie in 1962. There are only twelve known copies still around. My collecter freind had to part with over twelve hundred quid to get a hold of this copy. The only trouble I found in reading it is it's all in bloody spanish lol .

Golly that's a find and a half, does his wife know lol ?

Some very interesting reading regarding old SWFC programmes, what they are worth and so on,when my Grandfather died many many years ago amongst his papers and things was a souvenir programme, Wednesday v Arsenal at Hillsborough,season1929-30 celebrating the winning of the First Division Championship the previous season,it was in excellent condition complete with a bow of blue and white ribbon on the front,photographs inside etc,and a few weeks ago I started asking around if anyone knew what it might be worth,some said £10,others £20, and someone with a slight connection at Hillsborough said £30 tops. So I thought good old grandad, left me a little legacy,then I consulted an expert on soccer memorabilia, who informed me he could move it for me with no difficulty,he told me anything involving Arsenal was always wanted, a buyer rang me within hours, made an offer, cheque received,and banked the next day,I was told the bow on the front increased the value quite considerably. Any guesses?, not £10,nor £20 or even £30 tops, just a little more, no less than £200.

The moral of this little story is "Don't be in a big hurry!!!!"

Guest BUXT0NGENT

Some very interesting reading regarding old SWFC programmes, what they are worth and so on,when my Grandfather died many many years ago amongst his papers and things was a souvenir programme, Wednesday v Arsenal at Hillsborough,season1929-30 celebrating the winning of the First Division Championship the previous season,it was in excellent condition complete with a bow of blue and white ribbon on the front,photographs inside etc,and a few weeks ago I started asking around if anyone knew what it might be worth,some said £10,others £20, and someone with a slight connection at Hillsborough said £30 tops. So I thought good old grandad, left me a little legacy,then I consulted an expert on soccer memorabilia, who informed me he could move it for me with no difficulty,he told me anything involving Arsenal was always wanted, a buyer rang me within hours, made an offer, cheque received,and banked the next day,I was told the bow on the front increased the value quite considerably. Any guesses?, not £10,nor £20 or even £30 tops, just a little more, no less than £200.

The moral of this little story is "Don't be in a big hurry!!!!"

Wish someone had told my paternal grandmother that in 1960! On a weekend visit, she decided whilst the house was empty to clear out the Box room. She had a bonfire and burned a cherished Grandmother Clock in full working order, all my books about Mining (I was studying for my 'Manager's Ticket' at the time) and complete sets of Wednesday home programmes from 1949 along with countless away programmes.

Dad always bought a programme, then carefully in pencil, marked in any changes (he had a superb hand) to the published teams, the goals scored in order, and by whom, the half-time score on the left and the full-time score on the right. The programme would be brought home in near mint condition, the pencil marks inked in, and the programme carefully stored.

Dad's memory for football was phenomenal and he had this collection as a reference. I was brought up on the names of the 1929 Championship side, and the 1935 Cup winning side. They were like a mantra. He backed wednesday to win in 1935, but couldn't get a ticket, and listened to it on the wireless, getting drunk at the same time and being locked up for being drunk and disorderly afterwards. As you can imagine, he was a little displeased with his Mother after the bonfire!

His one ambition was to go to watch Wed. at Wembley, an ambition realised in 1966 when we both came back from London crying our eyes out.

I wonder what the collection would be worth now if I still had it? (not that I would part with it) Once an Owl always an Owl. My 'baptism' came in late 1946 when he started me going, aged 6yrs. We lived in Hoyland near Barnsley at the time, and although I now live in Buxton in the High Peak, I rarely miss a Home game.

Wish someone had told my paternal grandmother that in 1960! On a weekend visit, she decided whilst the house was empty to clear out the Box room. She had a bonfire and burned a cherished Grandmother Clock in full working order, all my books about Mining (I was studying for my 'Manager's Ticket' at the time) and complete sets of Wednesday home programmes from 1949 along with countless away programmes.

Dad always bought a programme, then carefully in pencil, marked in any changes (he had a superb hand) to the published teams, the goals scored in order, and by whom, the half-time score on the left and the full-time score on the right. The programme would be brought home in near mint condition, the pencil marks inked in, and the programme carefully stored.

Dad's memory for football was phenomenal and he had this collection as a reference. I was brought up on the names of the 1929 Championship side, and the 1935 Cup winning side. They were like a mantra. He backed wednesday to win in 1935, but couldn't get a ticket, and listened to it on the wireless, getting drunk at the same time and being locked up for being drunk and disorderly afterwards. As you can imagine, he was a little displeased with his Mother after the bonfire!

His one ambition was to go to watch Wed. at Wembley, an ambition realised in 1966 when we both came back from London crying our eyes out.

I wonder what the collection would be worth now if I still had it? (not that I would part with it) Once an Owl always an Owl. My 'baptism' came in late 1946 when he started me going, aged 6yrs. We lived in Hoyland near Barnsley at the time, and although I now live in Buxton in the High Peak, I rarely miss a Home game.

Moving stories BuxtonGent, I have had a great struggle over the years with my prgramme collection. Mothers, Aunties, my wife - they've all tried to 'tidy' up my things. They just don't understand! ;-)

Guest bblenkin

Here's one from 1931 when a combined Wednesday and United team played an FA XI. My guess is that it's a testimonial game for Billy Marsden whose career was ended by an injury sustained playing for England the season before. Can anybody confirm this?

Not a Wednesday game but a Northern Ireland "home match" played at Hillsborough due to the troubles..

Not a Wednesday game but a Northern Ireland "home match" played at Hillsborough due to the troubles..

Remember going to that game, a very boring 0-0 draw

Derek Dooley Trust Fund Floodlight Match between Sheffield X1 and an International X1 played 9th March 1955

Was this the first floodlit match at Hillsborough ?

1993 FA Cup Final Replay vs Arsenal

I haven't got a photo but last year I sold a spare copy on ebay for £95.00 which isn't bad for the £5.00 or so I paid at the match.. They regularly go for such amounts and can only assume Arsenal fans buy them. A woman bought this one for as a birthday present for her husband. I love my football but if my wife spent that I'd be none too chuffed!

The 93 Replay is well sought after due to the fact that both clubs had already met each other in the League Cup and the first game of the FA Cup final so not as many were produced on the assumption that the crowd would be lower.

I picked one up from a car boot sale in Skeggy a few years ago for a couple of quid and sold it on E-Bay for £85!!!

Good deal for a Blade!!! lol

My first visit to Old Trafford,aged 12.

The ground had only one stand then,and three large terraces.66,000 at the game,if I remember right.

Wednesday were under pressure most of the game,but Johnny Fantham broke away and got a penalty,which Tom Mc Anearney put away for a 1-0 win.

Swanny kicked a United shot out which was a good foot over the line!

Derek Dooley Trust Fund Floodlight Match between Sheffield X1 and an International X1 played 9th March 1955

Was this the first floodlit match at Hillsborough ?

This from a Wednesday Year Book which confirms it was the first floodlit match at Hillsborough