SUT garages and offices

madannie77

In my possession is a rather interesting document (well, I think so). The title is self-explanatory and the foreword gives more details. The certificate is there as a means of proof that the coach driver is entitled to the assistance/fuel/garaging he requires. The book was given to me by Mr F Carr, the driver named in the certificate. As is clear from the certificate, this book was issued in 1947, and has many hand written amendments.

Front of Book

Foreword

Certificate

Sheffield Pages

I assume that the locations with only a telephone are SUT booking offices. Charlotte Road is obviously the SUT depot, but what puzzles me is 21 Pond Hill: facilities listed are telephone, petrol, lubricating oil and both day and night garaging.

As map 4 shows 21 Pond Hill to be a very small property next to a Public House I am intrigued as to where these facilities actually were? As the map shows the pavement disappearing below no 21, was there a driveway under the building to the open area behind? Does anyone have any information, memories or photos?

A photo of the pub at no 19 is here with a bit of no 21 in shot.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s21620.jpg

Guest tsavo

SUT (and before than United Motor Services) had a booking office in this block on Waingate in the late 1950s / early 60s.

SUT (and before than United Motor Services) had a booking office in this block on Waingate in the late 1950s / early 60s.

Is this the one behind the car tsavo ?

The photographer knew what he was doing, a double Tetley shot.

Guest tsavo

Is this the one behind the car tsavo ?

The photographer knew what he was doing, a double Tetley shot.

Bang on Steve.

As map 4 shows 21 Pond Hill to be a very small property next to a Public House I am intrigued as to where these facilities actually were? As the map shows the pavement disappearing below no 21, was there a driveway under the building to the open area behind? Does anyone have any information, memories or photos?

Link to picturesheffield, showing ..
Pond Street looking towards Pond Hill including No 19, Lyceum P.H., No 21, Sheffield United Tours Ltd., Joseph Rodger's Cutlery Works, Pond Street Bus Station, right.
And a cut from map #4 that you refer to.

Link to picturesheffield, showing ..
Pond Street looking towards Pond Hill including No 19, Lyceum P.H., No 21, Sheffield United Tours Ltd., Joseph Rodger's Cutlery Works, Pond Street Bus Station, right.
And a cut from map #4 that you refer to.

Great photo - shows exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for that, and for linking the map which I forgot to do! Itl ooks like a pretty tight fit for a coach to get through, although of course coaches in the 1950s were rather smaller than modern coaches.

I assume that the office moved to the more familiar (to me, anyway) office in the Bus Station as pointed out by Stuart0742 in his post when the Post Office sorting office was built on that site.

Guest tsavo

I may be wrong, but didn't SUT have the hanger looking building (with the curved roof) in Pond St bus station as a booking office in the '60s?

I may be wrong, but didn't SUT have the hanger looking building (with the curved roof) in Pond St bus station as a booking office in the '60s?

You are right. It is the building signed "National Travel " in the picture in post 4. I remember using it regularly in the 1980s for buying National Express tickets.

See post #4 :)

Blimey, wish I had your eyes! (or the name of Your Optician)

Apraz-me, fui a specsavers lol

Blimey, wish I had your eyes! (or the name of Your Optician)

Stuarts optician is his wife, she works for Specsavers!