'The alley' Penistone Road

winter64

Hi,

My grandad lived in what he always called 'the alley' on Penistone Road his address was 11 Court 24 House Penistone Road when he was born in 1920 but the family had been here or other houses in the Courts for a good while and on Cotton Mill Walk before that, various other Balm and Oates relatives lived nearby.

I cant find any pictures of Penistone Road in the late 1800's early 1900's anywhere, has anyone got any or point me in the right direction on the net? I have looked on picture Sheffield but I cant find any of the alley.

Any old pictures of Cotton Mill Walk when accommodation was there would also be gratefully received.

Karen :)

Hi,

My grandad lived in what he always called 'the alley' on Penistone Road his address was 11 Court 24 House Penistone Road when he was born in 1920 but the family had been here or other houses in the Courts for a good while and on Cotton Mill Walk before that, various other Balm and Oates relatives lived nearby.

I cant find any pictures of Penistone Road in the late 1800's early 1900's anywhere, has anyone got any or point me in the right direction on the net? I have looked on picture Sheffield but I cant find any of the alley.

Any old pictures of Cotton Mill Walk when accommodation was there would also be gratefully received.

Karen

I think they must be the houses demolished in about 1930 They were very old then Picture Sheffield has some photographs of the demoliton on Cornish Street and Green Lane which would give you a good idea of the type of houses they were. Look under those names for pictures. The numbers must have been in the area around Cornish Steet and probably just past the New Inn

This link shows the junction of Penistone Road Cornish Street Infirmary Road in 1950

http://www.picturesh...ff.refno=s19315

which is pretty much as I remember it. I had a school friend lived at the Royal Lancers at the end of Dixon Street and knew the area very well.

My grandparents were moved out of Hoyle Street in about 1930 for demolition so I think there must have been a lot going on in that area at the time

I have some Oates connections who were in that area at one time

Chris

Hi,

Karen :)

The nearest would be picture u01756 on Picture Sheffield or the one looking from Hillfoot Bridge s18677

Mine lived at 1h ct 9, looks like they were gone mid 30's. There was a Balm who had the shop at 19 Hillfoot Road

In the 1950's maps, Court 11 Penistone Road is split between Map 31 (top edge) and Map 32 (bottom edge). House 24 is on the latter.

Hugh

And I spent my time searching for Court 24, :(

Thanks Hugh. :)

The nearest would be picture u01756 on Picture Sheffield or the one looking from Hillfoot Bridge s18677

Mine lived at 1h ct 9, looks like they were gone mid 30's. There was a Balm who had the shop at 19 Hillfoot Road

If memory serves, there was a family named Balm, that ran a little corner shop at the corner of Farfield Rd., and Hoyland Rd.

If memory serves, there was a family named Balm, that ran a little corner shop at the corner of Farfield Rd., and Hoyland Rd.

Thats the one.

You are all completely wonderful, thank you very very much for your help. I will look into the shop, I dont think it was any of my Balms they were as poor as churchmice, but you never know!!

Chris - If any of your Oates were part of the family link

John 1809

Mary 1803

Sarah A 1831

Mary A 1833

James 1835

Eliza 1841

Annis 1844

Please get in touch I have quite a lot of info about them and where they lived.

Karen