1/2 houses on Sharrow Street

vox

I've often wondered about these - "bungalows" - on Sharrow Street. Quite obviously not built that way. There are 3 left standing 105, 107 and 111 and according to the 50's map there was a ruin where 109 and 111 were. This is where the new pair of standard semis has been built.

The "topless" ones match in with the other houses and if you look at marks left on the end wall of the house below (no.103) it seems they were once full sized. Were they perhaps subject to bomb damage during the Blitz?

Google Street View Image

I've often wondered about these - "bungalows" - on Sharrow Street. Quite obviously not built that way. There are 3 left standing 105, 107 and 111 and according to the 50's map there was a ruin where 109 and 111 were. This is where the new pair of standard semis has been built.

The "topless" ones match in with the other houses and if you look at marks left on the end wall of the house below (no.103) it seems they were once full sized. Were they perhaps subject to bomb damage during the Blitz?

Google Street View Image

Hi `vox` Map printed 1945. Many thanks, W/E,

Hi `vox` Map printed 1945. Many thanks, W/E,

Got right down to work then eh W.E.!

Well done and thanks for the bomb map.

It's hard to tell which is supposed to be Sharrow Street (if it's even shown) There's a whole bunch of streets not shown round there and the scale leaves much to be desired.

Verdict - not enough to say one way or the other.

So I still wonder why they've been halved.

I think the answer to this lays not with high explosive bombs, but with incendiary bombs.

They were not very big but heavy enough to fall through slates and set the upper stories of buildings alight.

They were dropped in multiples which would explain adjacent properties being affected.

There were many examples of once multi-story buildings in central Sheffield which were salvaged into single story buildings post war.

There was a shop on the top corner of King Street ( I forget the name ) and a bank in High Street which continued trading in this way for a while, as well as a couple of pubs.

HD

It came back to me, it was Symington & Crofts

Far from excellent images :

PictureSheffield and a better one. Symington and Croft, draper/ladies outfitter.

I think the answer to this lays not with high explosive bombs, but with incendiary bombs.

This were not very big but heavy enough to fall through slates and set the upper stories of buildings alight.

They were dropped in multiples which would explain adjacent properties being affected.

There were many examples of once multi-story buildings in central Sheffield which were salvaged into single story buildings post war.

There was a shop on the top corner of King Street ( I forget the name ) and a bank in High Street which continued trading in this way for a while, as well as a couple of pubs.

HD

It came back to me, it was Symington & Crofts

They're the ones, and also a pub at the bottom of St. Mary's Road which had a similar treatment.

The bank was the Westminster Bank which stood between the re-built Walshs and Saxones shops for many years after the war with a sawn-off roof, see Picture Sheffield Ref S17344. It was eventually replaced by the modern Nat West building.

I rather think the city centre buildings were affected by fire from adjacent buildings rather than incendiaries.

HD

They're the ones, and also a pub at the bottom of St. Mary's Road which had a similar treatment.

The bank was the Westminster Bank which stood between the re-built Walshs and Saxones shops for many years after the war with a sawn-off roof, see Picture Sheffield Ref S17344. It was eventually replaced by the modern Nat West building.

I rather think the city centre buildings were affected by fire from adjacent buildings rather than incendiaries.

HD

That was the Montgomery Hotel.

I can remember the Montgomery having a staircase and a banister rail that went up to the ceiling, it used to fascinate me as a kid.