Wards Pubs in Sheffield

RichardB

Tetleys did 2 pub hunts.

The first in 1982 was called "The Great Pub Hunt" and had a shirt with a Tetley style logo.

The second in 1983 was called the "Pub Enquiry" and had a shirt with a Sam Spade type detective lurking in a dark alleyway outside a Tetleys pub.

There were so many Tetleys (a Leeds based brewery) pubs in Sheffield at the time that the pub hunts were fairly easy. You had to drink 10 pints in 10 different pubs. If you planned your route you could easily find 10 pubs within walking distance of each other and you certainly wouldn't have to travel very far.

But to do all 10, 10 pints, in one night, - now that really is asking for one hell of a hangover and possibly a trip down the hospital to try out their stomach pump.

Not worth it just for a T-shirt, at least Tetleys gave you a couple of months to complete the challenge and claim the shirt.

Yes your right Steve, there was one in 1984 as well.

However by then the novelty of walking around Sheffield and supping a pint in every Tetley's pub you passed just to get a card stamped and send it off for a T-shirt was wearing off a bit. Probably why they eventually stopped doing it.

I remember in the Fellbrigg ( a Tetleys pub) in 1985 they had a different promotion which involved a plastic key and a large machine in the bar which at a certain time of night generated a random key number. If the owner of that key was in the bar when it did this you had 60 seconds to put your key in the machine, at which point it printed out a winning ticket with your prize on it. The prizes ranged from 1 pint of beer to £50.

I can't remember any promotions after this (1986) but by then marriage and family life took me away from pubs a lot.

I can't remember any promotions after this (1986) but by then marriage and family life took me away from pubs a lot.

CORRECTION

There was a promotion in Tetleys pubs in 1986, but it was run by GUINESS.

It was a pub quiz for teams of 3 called the Guiness "PURE GENIUS" quiz (Pure Genius was their advertising slogan at the time).

In the Fellbrigg a team consisting of DaveH, Stuart0742 and Mrs. Stuart0742 were worthy winners of a few pints of the black stuff, a pure genius Tshirt and a trophy based on a half pint beer glass. Still got it somewhere.

The Wards 'Pub Hunt' would have been in summer 80, as I recall being nominated driver on a few forays out of Sheffield in my 'new' car.

There were 2 cards, split into 'northern' and 'southern' areas - 50 pubs on each. Fill one card, you got a polo shirt, fill 2 cards, you got a polypin of beer!

I still have my polo shirt somewhere - grey with thin blue bands and the Wards logo on breast pocket. I think they did a similar promotion the following year or year after.

The Wards 'Pub Hunt' would have been in summer 80, as I recall being nominated driver on a few forays out of Sheffield in my 'new' car.

There were 2 cards, split into 'northern' and 'southern' areas - 50 pubs on each. Fill one card, you got a polo shirt, fill 2 cards, you got a polypin of beer!

I still have my polo shirt somewhere - grey with thin blue bands and the Wards logo on breast pocket. I think they did a similar promotion the following year or year after.

Thanks for that e3sa934.

It would appear that BOTH Wards and Tetleys had these "pub hunts" then and that they did them annually throughout the first half of the 1980's

Welcome to Sheffield History by the way.

Guest lozzie

There was also a SKOL promotion c 1983-85

you collected tokens and prizes ranged from a glass, t-shirts and biggest prize was a SKOL jacket! he he

I remember that a long "flashing" machine was connected to the lager pump. Each time you pressed the switch for half of lager the customer had to push 2 buttons on bottom of machine to light up a matching SKOL pint at the bottom. It was hilarious when the customer was chatting and not concentrating on the machine.......or you (as a barperson) quickly pressed the button a 2nd time and the customer was stressing to "win" the ticket!

Very competitive it became...and a laugh as well!

Guest lozzie

Can you remember the TETLEY pub matches? Featured all the Tetley pubs in Yorkshire

Each box of matches had a pic of a Tetley pub on it. Customers, asking for a box of matches would often say, Oh i got that one....give me one I aint got!

I actually have the full collection. All mounted and framed!

Can you remember the TETLEY pub matches? Featured all the Tetley pubs in Yorkshire

Each box of matches had a pic of a Tetley pub on it. Customers, asking for a box of matches would often say, Oh i got that one....give me one I aint got!

I actually have the full collection. All mounted and framed!

Are there any Tetley pubs in Sheffield amongst them?

If so would they scan and post in the pubs section?

Guest skeets

I remember the Tetley's promotion, got the t-shirt.

Wards promotional booklet; will try to scan and post tomorrow; this booklet came fron The Queens on Scotland Street.

The stuff sold as Wards tastes (and smells) of nothing at all.

There was a time just before the end of the war, and a few years later, when Wards Beer had a SMELL, albeit an offensive one, also a slight vinegary taste , this seemed to coincide toWARDS the end of a barrel,it greatly improved in later years, possibly it may have been something to do with changing over to stainless vats,and a new brewer. ls there any one else recalls those times, or heard their dads talk about this perhaps. skeets.

There was a time just before the end of the war, and a few years later, when Wards Beer had a SMELL, albeit an offensive one, also a slight vinegary taste , this seemed to coincide toWARDS the end of a barrel,it greatly improved in later years, possibly it may have been something to do with changing over to stainless vats,and a new brewer. ls there any one else recalls those times, or heard their dads talk about this perhaps. skeets.

Gosh, I remember Wards being a smelly beer (beautiful) and giving Vernon a hard time at the Queens on Scotland Street when it got near the end of the barrel, now I'm now old enough to remember the War, but I do recall both symptoms, maybe I just drank a lot of Wards and got the "knowledge".

I'd quite happily gnaw my arms, legs and head off to smell that smell and taste that taste, sure it was even better back then !

I'd quite happily gnaw my arms, legs and head off to smell that smell and taste that taste, sure it was even better back then !

All of it made on this site on Ecclesall Road. The Wards Brewery, now no more.

I remember a few years ago (late 1990's?) going to the Lyceum to see a stage version of "Brassed Off" just after the film starring Pete Postlethwaite had done its rounds. For the stage version they used the Wards brewery brass band. This was just before the brewery was closed so ironically the brewery band probably suffered the same fate as the miners band they were portraying in Brassed Off.

All of it made on this site on Ecclesall Road. The Wards Brewery, now no more.

I remember a few years ago (late 1990's?) going to the Lyceum to see a stage version of "Brassed Off" just after the film starring Pete Postlethwaite had done its rounds. For the stage version they used the Wards brewery brass band. This was just before the brewery was closed so ironically the brewery band probably suffered the same fate as the miners band they were portraying in Brassed Off.

Wards beer may be long gone but some local establishments, like the Manor Social Club, City Road shown here, still seem to be advertising it for sale (Stones as well!)

Uesd to enjoy a pint (or several) of Wards in my drinking days. My favourite was the Red Lion (if my memory is okay) on Charles Street. Great pub, great beer.

Wards beer may be long gone but some local establishments, like the Manor Social Club, City Road shown here, still seem to be advertising it for sale (Stones as well!)

That's because MAXIM BREWERY have taken on the Wards brand. Somewhere near Sunderland I think.

That's because MAXIM BREWERY have taken on the Wards brand. Somewhere near Sunderland I think.

..and here's me thinking that it was just Manor Social Club that couldn't be bothered to remove an old, redundant sign!

..and here's me thinking that it was just Manor Social Club that couldn't be bothered to remove an old, redundant sign!

He's back then !!

Up to mi neck in DaveH posts to read now.

Welcome home sir - hope it was a nice hol.

He's back then !!

Up to mi neck in DaveH posts to read now.

Welcome home sir - hope it was a nice hol.

Thanks vox, had a great holiday.

You shouldn't have that much to read up, - I've just been doing a bit of "catching up" as it were.