Wards Pubs in Sheffield

RichardB

Shame

Where did you get this guide from Richard? and is there anything on the back?

I seem to remember that in the early 1980's Tetleys had a promotion where you had a map and card. You had to go into every one of their pubs marked on the map and buy a pint and then the bar staff would stamp your card to say that you had been in and bought a pint. When you had been to all the pubs and your card was fully stamped you got a final FREE pint and then you could send your card off to the brewery or somewhere and get a FREE t-shirt.

I know several other local breweries also used this idea and I think Wards was one of them

Is this a Wards "Beer hunt" challenge competition map?

Where did you get this guide from Richard? and is there anything on the back?

I seem to remember that in the early 1980's Tetleys had a promotion where you had a map and card. You had to go into every one of their pubs marked on the map and buy a pint and then the bar staff would stamp your card to say that you had been in and bought a pint. When you had been to all the pubs and your card was fully stamped you got a final FREE pint and then you could send your card off to the brewery or somewhere and get a FREE t-shirt.

I know several other local breweries also used this idea and I think Wards was one of them

Is this a Wards "Beer hunt" challenge competition map?

How many of the pubs on this guide are still open, can you get a pint of Wards in any of them.

Last I heard Wards was being made by Jennings in Cockermouth.

How many of the pubs on this guide are still open, can you get a pint of Wards in any of them.

Last I heard Wards was being made by Jennings in Cockermouth.

If you give me a guide and a card I'll go round and drink a pint in each of them.

If you give me a guide and a card I'll go round and drink a pint in each of them.

If you are paying we will all come lol

I remember the Tetley's promotion, got the t-shirt.

Wards promotional booklet; will try to scan and post tomorrow; this booklet came fron The Queens on Scotland Street.

The stuff sold as Wards tastes (and smells) of nothing at all.

Shame (continued)

Finish of booklet, I suppose we should "cut" each Pub out and update the main record/or post a link from there, to each Pub - but not today :blink:

Shame (continued)

Finish of booklet, I suppose we should "cut" each Pub out and update the main record/or post a link from there, to each Pub - but not today :blink:

I will see to that Richard,

a great booklet 'what year is it ?'

I will see to that Richard,

a great booklet 'what year is it ?'

At a guess 1980 (?) 0742 code and five digits, does that give anyone a better clue as to the year ?

----------------------

Thanks Steve.

At a guess 1980 (?) 0742 code and five digits, does that give anyone a better clue as to the year ?

----------------------

Thanks Steve.

The 0742/0114 changeover was 16/4/95.

Now 5 digit numbers begining with 2, must have been late 1980's. I should know this as I worked in that telephone exchange at the time, guess at 1987/8 after the strike.

The 0742/0114 changeover was 16/4/95.

Now 5 digit numbers begining with 2, must have been late 1980's. I should know this as I worked in that telephone exchange at the time, guess at 1987/8 after the strike.

Your just making me look like a clemwit with my guess :blink: he he

The Tetley Pub Hunt, filled the whole card in one night! Started in Broomhill, down West Street, through town on to the Wicker and then Carlisle and Saville Street not sure if the T-shirt was worth the headache????

Your just making me look like a clemwit with my guess :blink:he he

1980 is a good guess for the book, my guess was when 5 digit level 2 numbers ceased in Sheffield, so before 1987/8 which 1980 is :) .

Anyway lets get back to Wards :)

1980 is a good guess for the book, my guess was when 5 digit level 2 numbers ceased in Sheffield, so before 1987/8 which 1980 is :) .

Anyway lets get back to Wards :)

Ignoring telephone numbers, the 1 part of the book is the history of Wards itself, a couple of clues here

1. Reference to the building of its latest pub at Waterthorpe, that would be the "Hawk & Dove" which opened in 1981.

2. At the end it mentions that the offices are planned to be demolished in 1982

1980 is a good guess

I seem to recall owning rather a lot of those tee-shirts; I recall my Grandmother applying for an X-Large at the time (now XXX-L - me, not my Grandmother !!!) ... we just now need to find evidence of the promotion.

I seem to recall owning rather a lot of those tee-shirts; I recall my Grandmother applying for an X-Large at the time (now XXX-L - me, not my Grandmother !!!) ... we just now need to find evidence of the promotion.

Glad I asked you now Richard for 2 reasons

That booklet you have scanned in contains a hell of a lot more than was obvious from just the guide map, a complete history of Wards, brilliant post!

My mention of the Tetleys Beer hunt seems to have sparked a few memories as well, - scope for a few extra posts and stories about drunken nights out to get a T-shirt

That booklet you have scanned in contains a hell of a lot more than was obvious from just the guide map, a complete history of Wards, brilliant post!

I would have round to this; eventually ... generally too busy doing stuff, to do stuff; I do, however, put in my best effort ...