Rotherham

Guest The General

Guest Barbara M

And a Sheffield connection.

'In 1842 Richard Chrimes, son of Edward Chrimes

appears to be running his own business in Sheffield',

some history of Guest and Chrimes here ... www.rotherhamweb.co.uk

It has taken me a few weeks to find those pics I have of the Belvedere sign & the pic of the Grange with the belvedere on top of the house on the right hand side. Sorry about the snow in the second picture it nearly obscures the turret !! ( belvedere )

A belvedere is a room or small tower with a view on all sides , according to my research.

Barbara

It has taken me a few weeks to find those pics I have of the Belvedere sign & the pic of the Grange with the belvedere on top of the house on the right hand side. Sorry about the snow in the second picture it nearly obscures the turret !! ( belvedere )

A belvedere is a room or small tower with a view on all sides , according to my research.

Barbara

Thank you for digging the old photos out Barbara.

Boston Park is quite interesting as it has the doorway from the old college that was the original Thomas Rotherham college which used to be in the town center near to where Woolworths used to be & Moorgate cemetary has some famous Rotherham names in it .

You would have enjoyed your walk.

Barbara

I thought you might like this photo of the doorway which I took some years ago in Boston Park.

Patrick

Guest Barbara M

I thought you might like this photo of the doorway which I took some years ago in Boston Park.

Patrick

This is just as I remember it....thankyou for the picture Patrick.

By the way is your surname " Green " by any chance ?? If so I think I remember you !!

Cheers,

Barbara M

By the way is your surname " Green " by any chance ?? If so I think I remember you !!

Cheers,

Barbara M

Sorry Barbara, my surname isn't Green.

Patrick

Cheers,

Barbara M

Sadly, it looks as though time has been called for the last time at the Belvedere.

Patrick

Guest Barbara M

Sadly, it looks as though time has been called for the last time at the Belvedere.

Patrick

I knew it had closed but doesn't it look shabby & uncared for in these pictures, what a great pity that Rotherham is loosing another piece of it's history as the Belvedere dated from the early 1800's.

It was a very imposing building & I always thought it looked more like a private house then a pub !!

Thanks for the pictures, Patrick.

Barbara M

Guest jotter77

If we are talking about blast furnaces which these are, which are used to extract iron from iron ore as opposed to steel works in general which usually work the steel into useful shapes and sizes, or, at there closest to the blast furnace, convert iron into steel by, for example, the Bessemer process then I am lead to believe that there are very few blast furnaces left in the country and none in Sheffield or Rotherham.

There used to be some at Scunthorpe but I think they have now gone.

That means the nearest ones would probably be at BSC Redcar, well over 100 miles away. But even these were threatened with closure fairly recently.

As a Tata Steel* employee, I can tell you that blast furnaces are operational in the UK at Port Talbot and Scunthorpe. The blast furnace at Redcar was mothballed and subsequently sold to Thai steel company SSI and will be relit this December. The only other steelmaking plant is at Aldwarke in Rotherham but this is an electric arc furnace operation (making steel from scrap rather than from iron ore, as in a blast furnace). There are still many rolling mills, tube and rail mills and coating/tinning lines dotted around England, Wales and Scotland, including Stocksbridge in Sheffield and Brinsworth Strip mill on the Sheff/Roth border.

* Tata Steel = BSC > 1988 privatised British Steel plc > 1999 merged with Dutch steel co. Hoogovens and named Corus > 2007 Corus bought by India's Tata Steel

I,m a Rotherham lad lived at 129 Wortley Road (demolished in 83) lived in Kimberworth Park then moved to Chapeltown before emigrating to the USA in 83 my Brother and Sister still live in Rotherham.

David

A Brit in the USA

Guest Barbara M

Heard from a friend today & she sent me the attached , old Bartlett Holbein ( first licensee ) will be turning in his grave !!!

A vets no less !!

Barbara

I used to work for Rotherham Council i the late 80's and still visit town when I get a chance, usually when visiting my father, its such a shame that the town centre seems to have become a pubs only district. I remember the town centre when great names as Woolworths, Marks and Spencer and C & A were still there, I loved the compactness of the centre. What was the name of the big department store just below the old Magistrates court?

Guest Barbara M

I used to work for Rotherham Council i the late 80's and still visit town when I get a chance, usually when visiting my father, its such a shame that the town centre seems to have become a pubs only district. I remember the town centre when great names as Woolworths, Marks and Spencer and C & A were still there, I loved the compactness of the centre. What was the name of the big department store just below the old Magistrates court?

Do you mean what is now the Town Hall ?? If so you must mean the one that used to be on on High Street called " Muntus "

Barbara M

Do you mean what is now the Town Hall ?? If so you must mean the one that used to be on on High Street called " Muntus "

Barbara M

Is the building on here, Rotherham Now & Then

Guest Barbara M

Yes Steve , its under the " M's " . Muntus Department Store.

This is very interesting to someone who knew Rotherham in the 70's / 80's / 90's as my mum & Frank Ballard kept the Red Lion in Bridgegate before we moved in the Belvedere & they moved to the Dene Brook on Dalton Lane.. Thanks for this.

Barbara

Yes Steve , its under the " M's " . Muntus Department Store.

This is very interesting to someone who knew Rotherham in the 70's / 80's / 90's as my mum & Frank Ballard kept the Red Lion in Bridgegate before we moved in the Belvedere & they moved to the Dene Brook on Dalton Lane.. Thanks for this.

Barbara

Thank you Barbara, wasn't the old Magistrates court that biggles111 mentions on Moorgate ?

Guest Barbara M

Thank you Barbara, wasn't the old Magistrates court that biggles111 mentions on Moorgate ?

Yes it was on Moorgate St, the building is now the " new " Town Hall , its on the right of Moorgate St , a light grey bullding , the road there is like a square with car parking in the middle .....I will try & find a photo .

The old Town Hall was turned into a shopping precinct in the Howard St area.

Barbara

Guest Barbara M

I have tried to post a picture of the Town Hall Rotherham but it hasn't worked !! So back to the drawing board !!

Barbara

Guest Barbara M

The building was built in 1930 as the Magistrates Court & changed to the Town Hall in 1985

The area in front of the building is called " The Crofts " .

Barbara

New area in front of Rotherham Minster where the "All Saints" building used to be.

Crinoline House in the process of being demolished

The New York Stadium under construction on part of the old "Guest & Chrimes" site

The new council offices.

Guest Barbara M

OOH ......I love these pics, even though I only live nr Bawtry I don't get to Rotherham very often.

Thanks a lot.

Barbara

Guest lebourg

Hi guys

Does anyone know where Phoenix Square Masborough was?

My grandpa was there in 1911

Thanks in advance for any help

Guest Barbara M

According to google , Phoenix Square was off Masborough Street......Centenary Way cuts right through that area so you need a Godfrey Map of 1911 to have a look to see if you can find it.

Maybe someone else on this forum may be more help. Good Luck !!

Phoenix Square & Dorset Place are named in the 1925 directory,

just to the east of Lyme Street, off Masborough Street.

Dorset Place is named on this 1905 map, so Phoenix Square was near by.

Flash Earth