Rotherham

Guest The General

Guest The General

Is there anyone out there with memories of Rotherham? How it was, how it's changed?

Places now gone? Friend people you want to contact,

Try posting here!

The General

Guest The General

Is the bottom one Roche Abbey?

Yes it is DJ1, I love that place, Never very busy and very eerie especially when the fog comes in!

Said to be haunted by monks!

The General

I love the place.

I have picures of the Abbey, which I am sure show the 'ghosts'.

I went there on June 6th 2004, it was a day after my birthday and as a present it was arranged for me to spend the night at a 'proper' haunted house (Hemeston Hall, mentioned by Neil above) on the night of my birthday. I got there (the house) and Phil Whyman (from Most Haunted) was there shooting a pilot TV programme. I got involved and ended up helping out with the production (and the promotion afterwards) - anyway, back to subject, we went to Roche Abbey the next day on the way home (in fact, the photo I use in my avatar was taken that day too) and I took loads of pics.

However, any which featured the back-right corner of the grounds came out seriously blurred. If the back-right of the grounds was in the background of any picture, that portion of the picture was blurred. Weird.

Out of interest, the house I stayed in that night (at Oldcoates, 2 miles away) was said to be linked via an underground tunnel to Roche Abbey at one point and the monks were to use it as an escape route during the demonistrisation times (if that't right?). The House at Oldcoates itself was also said to have been extended using stone from the Abbey. Pictures of the front of that lovely house are available in the 'I Monster/All Seeing I' thread in the Music section.

Lovely place to go, really strange being really low down from the road above, kind of in a valley, and the sun always seems to shine whenever we go there!

An example of the blurring on the picture (only happened in this corner, no matter where it appeared in the picture and no matter what angle it was from!):

I'll find some more pictures of the Abbey out...

HAHAHAHA!!!

I have found a load of pictures of Roche Abbey - some of the best pictures I have ever taken, I think.

Deserves it's own thread, so I'll start a new one in this section and link it...

Looking at the picture you posted - it looks like there's a man stood in the doorway of the ruin

Looking more at the picture you posted what's that on the right hand side of the picture in the mist ?

Might be my eyes but looks like a face ?

Looking more at the picture you posted what's that on the right hand side of the picture in the mist ?

Might be my eyes but looks like a face ?

*refuses to fall for it*

Just had to comment on that photo its reght good! i have an interest in ghosts especially ones local or basically anything what throws a spanner in works of normal reality ,some of the books i have the photos arent as good as that,but i have some pretty frightening family photos with weird faces all around me mainly cousins etc but not startin thinking about that at this time i wont be able to sleep later :lol:

I'm really sorry to hear that Rotherham has gone down so much. I started my working life there in 1959. It was a vibrant town - cinemas galore, nice shops, and when I was old enough - nice pubs. Saw a few stage shows at the Essoldo. Went up Masbro' to see the floodlights at Millmoor when they were first tried out - going to the old Statutes Fair where the police station now is - watching 'Musical Marie' at the old Cinema House when she was doing her marathon piano playing - going in Cantors in Effingham Street to hear all the latest records being played by the lady who eventually opened The Sound of Music in Howard Street. Having my lunch in the Whitehall Cafe and The Gate Cafe. I stood gawping at the burnt out Woolworths. Happy memories of my then favourite singer - Marion Ryan, when she opened JAX in College Street. I loved riding on the 'Trackie' Buses too - so smooth, much better than the Sheffield Tramcars. Sad memories of a work colleague losing his seven years old son. I also saw a lorry lose control as it approached the red traffic light at the bottom of Doncaster Gate. A lady and a small boy lost their lives because of this. It was a Friday morning. It preyed on me for ages. Eventually I walked out of the job as I had wanted to leave for some time, but my parents were against it. In those days you had to do as you were told. The wonderful feeling when I left the premises for the last time, knowing I would never return. I was 19 and had been getting home from that place at 8-8.30 some Saturday nights. I had to make up for lost time, and I did. I realise that it was the wrong way to leave, but that it was the best thing I ever did for myself. I never regretted it for one second. Time has told it was the right thing to do. Rotherham itself will always hold memories for me, and I sincerely hope things do pick up soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do these blast furnaces still exist at Parkgate ?

No

There are no Steelworks left at Parkgate, the area is mainly Retail Parks,

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Aldwarke+Lane,+Rotherham&amp;aq=0&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=18.304449,57.084961&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Aldwarke+Ln,+Rotherham,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.44781,-1.314497&amp;spn=0.017967,0.055747&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.449857,-1.344808&amp;panoid=AgkXgAuUho_Ed681vJ9cYw&amp;cbp=12,62.68,,0,5&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Aldwarke+Lane,+Rotherham&amp;aq=0&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=18.304449,57.084961&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Aldwarke+Ln,+Rotherham,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.44781,-1.314497&amp;spn=0.017967,0.055747&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.449857,-1.344808&amp;panoid=AgkXgAuUho_Ed681vJ9cYw&amp;cbp=12,62.68,,0,5" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Templeborough is the Magna Centre.

However there is still a large Steelworks complex at Aldwarke/Thybergh

Do these blast furnaces still exist at Parkgate ?

If we are talking about blast furnaces which these are, which are used to extract iron from iron ore as opposed to steel works in general which usually work the steel into useful shapes and sizes, or, at there closest to the blast furnace, convert iron into steel by, for example, the Bessemer process then I am lead to believe that there are very few blast furnaces left in the country and none in Sheffield or Rotherham.

There used to be some at Scunthorpe but I think they have now gone.

That means the nearest ones would probably be at BSC Redcar, well over 100 miles away. But even these were threatened with closure fairly recently.

Guest Barbara M

Talking about Rotherham ..............

My husband & myself kept the Belvedere on Moorgate Road in the '80's , the road behind the pub ran up to Boston Park past Moorgate Cemetary & I traced the history of the pub back to the 1800's when Bartlet Holbein was the first landlord & he put an advert in the Rotherham Advertiser welcoming people to the " Beerhouse & Bowling Green " on Moorgate Road.

In my research into the name " Belvedere " which means " a tower with views on all sides " I was told that it was named after Moorgate Grange , the house across the road which had / has a small tower & was the home of the owner of Guest & Chrimes . This house has now been split into two.

I had a lot of other info which got mislaid & since having a stroke I can't remember !! So anybody that can add to this I would be grateful to their imput.

I am going to see if I can attach a photo because the pub is now closed & maybe going to be pulled down ....watch this space !!

Barbara M

Guest Barbara M

My husband & myself kept the Belvedere on Moorgate Road in the '80's , the road behind the pub ran up to Boston Park past Moorgate Cemetary & I traced the history of the pub back to the 1800's when Bartlet Holbein was the first landlord & he put an advert in the Rotherham Advertiser welcoming people to the " Beerhouse & Bowling Green " on Moorgate Road.

In my research into the name " Belvedere " which means " a tower with views on all sides " I was told that it was named after Moorgate Grange , the house across the road which had / has a small tower & was the home of the owner of Guest & Chrimes . This house has now been split into two.

I had a lot of other info which got mislaid & since having a stroke I can't remember !! So anybody that can add to this I would be grateful to their imput.

I am going to see if I can attach a photo because the pub is now closed & maybe going to be pulled down ....watch this space !!

Barbara M

Thank you for adding the information and photograph Barbara M,

I was out that way just before Christmas (RDGH - hospital appointment)

my intention was to walk back to Rotherham Town and pay a visit

to Boston Park for some photos,

however the weather turned nasty so I finished up catching a bus.

Joseph Edgar Percy Smith, victualler.

Belvedere. 60 Moorgate Road.

Guest Barbara M

Boston Park is quite interesting as it has the doorway from the old college that was the original Thomas Rotherham college which used to be in the town center near to where Woolworths used to be & Moorgate cemetary has some famous Rotherham names in it .

You would have enjoyed your walk.

Barbara

Barbara M

And a Sheffield connection.

'In 1842 Richard Chrimes, son of Edward Chrimes

appears to be running his own business in Sheffield',

some history of Guest and Chrimes here ... www.rotherhamweb.co.uk