Bus 1101

Waterside Echo

Guest littlemalc

Anyone remember Leyland Atlantean 1101 and the antics it got up to ?

I can't remember the specific number, but I do remember being told by Charlie Deemer, Willis Middleton etc in the driving school, that we had to be very careful about certain aspects of these early Leylands, the practice of "jump starting" a bus with low batteries was expressly forbidden, as the early gearbox could "pick up" in any gear if this was attempted, result, one knackered gear box!

I can also remember the intensly loud hiss from the lever that operated the doors, it sounded like a steam train blowing off.

I often wonder what today's drivers would make of some of the buses we drove in the early days, I am pretty sure the term double de-clutching would be like a foreign language to them.

I can't remember the specific number, but I do remember being told by Charlie Deemer, Willis Middleton etc in the driving school, that we had to be very careful about certain aspects of these early Leylands, the practice of "jump starting" a bus with low batteries was expressly forbidden, as the early gearbox could "pick up" in any gear if this was attempted, result, one knackered gear box!

I can also remember the intensly loud hiss from the lever that operated the doors, it sounded like a steam train blowing off.

I often wonder what today's drivers would make of some of the buses we drove in the early days, I am pretty sure the term double de-clutching would be like a foreign language to them.

Regarding the foreign language. The drivers on our route would be at home then! most of them can`t even speak English. W/E.

Anyone remember Leyland Atlantean 1101 and the antics it got up to ?

STDs first bus to be fitted with a fully automatic gearbox.

Guest plain talker

My father was a bus driver after leaving the Steelworks,, and then "went on't waggons" long haul and short haul lorry driving.

He reckons that the constant double de-clutching is what has knackered his knee up.

Guest horlicks

lol 1101 could be used as a fully automatic or manualit had a park royal body and was entered in a large bus and lorry show in London