Before Morrisons Ecclesfield was built

Lyn 1

Can someone remind me please what used to be on the site where Morrisons now stands at Ecclesfield? Both my friend and myself have been racking our brains as to what it was.

Thanks

Lyn

Can someone remind me please what used to be on the site where Morrisons now stands at Ecclesfield? Both my friend and myself have been racking our brains as to what it was.

Thanks

Lyn

Was it a Stanley Tools Factory?

Was it a Stanley Tools Factory?

That was further along where the new houses are just being built.

Lyn

Funny that, I thought it was stanley tools as well... :blink:

On an old A-Z it shows a works building 'Foundry' - it wasn't the @Brightside Foundry@ was it?

On an old A-Z it shows a works building 'Foundry' - it wasn't the @Brightside Foundry@ was it?

Thanks Steve,

The Brightside Foundry is the one off Green Lane. My Mum thinks the Morrison site was just waste ground within living memory.

Is there any date to this A to Z ? Maybe someones got a map , say late 50s early 60s of this area.

I'm told William Green or son had his iron foundry there and still there in late 50s to early 60s.

He lived at Woodfall Hall at Bradfield, what a lovely place that was until it fell to ruin.

It has now been renovated and some lucky person is living in it.

Is there any date to this A to Z ? Maybe someones got a map , say late 50s early 60s of this area.

I'm told William Green or son had his iron foundry there and still there in late 50s to early 60s.

He lived at Woodfall Hall at Bradfield, what a lovely place that was until it fell to ruin.

It has now been renovated and some lucky person is living in it.

Hi ukelele lady, it's 1988.

Hi ukelele lady, it's 1988.

Thank you Steve, that solves that then. The foundry looks like it was still there in 1988 but I

believe William Green had moved on well before then.

Thank you Steve, that solves that then. The foundry looks like it was still there in 1988 but I

believe William Green had moved on well before then.

On the 1905 OS map Green's Foundry ( the entrance to which looks like it was in Station Road) was named the 'Norfolk Foundry' there appears to be another factory next to it called the "Excelsior File Works"

On the 1905 OS map Green's Foundry ( the entrance to which looks like it was in Station Road) was named the 'Norfolk Foundry' there appears to be another factory next to it called the "Excelsior File Works"

That will most likely be the Green I'm talking about. Looking where Station Road is on the map looks like

the spot where we turn in to the car park of Morrison's. Funny isn't it , I shop there any never take much notice. :rolleyes:

is there a name for the stream or brook or what ever it is that runs along morrisons. Was very suprised to see a trout and what looked like some small gudgeon the other day while standing at the bus stop.

I think it is called Ecclesfield Brook.

is there a name for the stream or brook or what ever it is that runs along morrisons. Was very suprised to see a trout and what looked like some small gudgeon the other day while standing at the bus stop.

On 11/05/2009 at 08:15, dunsbyowl1867 said:

Exactly right. I was a moulder at William Greens in the early 1970's.