Sheffield Newspapers Scrapbook

RichardB

Pinning this for a while, simply too good a piece of Sheffield History to allow it to disappear down the listings.

I hope it provides much viewing enjoyment for the newer Members to the site.

Page 3 Cabbage Alley

Said to be the only picture of Cabbage Alley; unless you know differently ...

Where was it ? What years did it exist ? Who was known to live there ?

Well i have found Two residents of Cabbage Alley, A William and Amelia Wrathall.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent. Supplement. (Sheffield, England), Wednesday, March 31, 1860

I'd really love to know more about The Shambles too

First time I've heard of this

The Shambles.

The Sheffield Independent, and Yorkshire and Derbyshire Advertiser (Sheffield, England), Saturday, November 06, 1830.

Perfect Syrup, I've long pondered on Sheffield brothels but, for some unexplained reason, held back from a search - maybe now is the time - Victorian Brothel-keepers of Sheffield - I like it.

Thank you for the post (and the effort).

[Whole page deserves transcibing and posting into appropriate threads].

Well i have found Two residents of Cabbage Alley, A William and Amelia Wrathall.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent. Supplement. (Sheffield, England), Wednesday, March 31, 1860

Some real SheffieldHistory there Syrup, well found, Thank you. There's something quite fascinating about information from this long ago and all the better with an opening date, some event(s) and some people's names.

[Anyone for transcibing duties ?]

The Shambles.

The Sheffield Independent, and Yorkshire and Derbyshire Advertiser (Sheffield, England), Saturday, November 06, 1830.

Perfect Syrup, I've long pondered on Sheffield brothels but, for some unexplained reason, held back from a search - maybe now is the time - Victorian Brothel-keepers of Sheffield - I like it.

Thank you for the post (and the effort).

[Whole page deserves transcibing and posting into appropriate threads].

Great minds ... well minds - I have been collecting a few - will post !

I came across this old Sheffield Newspaper Scrapbook post from 2009, and with the Bank Holiday coming up I thought it was well worth reviving.

Does anyone know where and when this Sheffield Mail photograph was taken? Its a photograph I've not seen it before!

Sheffield Mail.jpg

The Sheffield Mail was launched by the owners of the Sheffield Independent as an evening paper, on 29th November 1921.  From 10th August 1931 it was taken over and merged into the Yorkshire Telegraph and Star (the "Star").  By the look of the motorcycle the photo was taken at the later end of this range.

The Mail was printed in the basement works of the Independent at Newspaper House (later Fargate House) at 21 Fargate.  Presumably the finished papers came out of the rear of the building into Norfolk street, and the map below shows a scattering of smaller buildings which could be candidates for the one in the photo.

1256929666_IndependentPrintingWorks.png.9a91086ad4e2e1f8af6bc1fb49232c3c.png

There is a fuller version of the photo on this site, showing that the building is quite narrow:

The front of the Independent/Mail's offices are shown here:

picturesheffield: 21 Fargate

There is also the possibility that the photo shows a distribution office for the Mail in one of the outlying districts.