Mort and Morte Families of the West Riding

Guest Ric

Guest Ric

Hi everyone,

I am researching the genealogy of the Mort and Morte families, particularly in the West Riding of Yorkshire. So far we have been able to trace back to John Mort born c1760.

The Mort and later the Morte families were resident in the area between Wakefield and Rotherham, taking in areas to the East including Barnsley and Hoyland. One branch of the family was based closely around the area of Racecommon Road in Barnsley including Shaw Lane and Shaw Street; another was based further towards Sheffield and based around the Birdwell area. Most of the Morts were miners.

The Morte name seems to have occurred at several points in time with different branches, mostly the name changing from Mort at the registering of a Birth or a Marriage.

The direct line to me appears to be:

• John Mort (b. c1760)
  • Joseph Mort (b. c1795)
  • John Mort (b. 1824)
  • George Henry Mort (1856)
  • Vernon Algernon Morte (1887)
  • Harold Morte (1922)

Vernon Algernon Morte held the licence at The Crown Inn, Summerfield Street in Sheffield between 1928 and 1931.

Related individuals are David Truswell, Bertha Truswell, George Cassy, Jane Elizabeth Cassy, John Woodhead, William Arthur Woodhead, Anne Hickling.

I am particularly interested to fill in some of the many gaps and, if possible, find photographs for some of the individuals and places concerned.

Any and all help gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

Ric

Guest skeets

Hi everyone,

I am researching the genealogy of the Mort and Morte families, particularly in the West Riding of Yorkshire. So far we have been able to trace back to John Mort born c1760.

The Mort and later the Morte families were resident in the area between Wakefield and Rotherham, taking in areas to the East including Barnsley and Hoyland. One branch of the family was based closely around the area of Racecommon Road in Barnsley including Shaw Lane and Shaw Street; another was based further towards Sheffield and based around the Birdwell area. Most of the Morts were miners.

The Morte name seems to have occurred at several points in time with different branches, mostly the name changing from Mort at the registering of a Birth or a Marriage.

The direct line to me appears to be:

• John Mort (b. c1760)
  • Joseph Mort (b. c1795)
  • John Mort (b. 1824)
  • George Henry Mort (1856)
  • Vernon Algernon Morte (1887)
  • Harold Morte (1922)

Vernon Algernon Morte held the licence at The Crown Inn, Summerfield Street in Sheffield between 1928 and 1931.

Related individuals are David Truswell, Bertha Truswell, George Cassy, Jane Elizabeth Cassy, John Woodhead, William Arthur Woodhead, Anne Hickling.

I am particularly interested to fill in some of the many gaps and, if possible, find photographs for some of the individuals and places concerned.

Any and all help gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

Ric

I DID SOME WORK FOR A MR MORT ARCHITECT/ OFFICE ACROSS FROM EADON /LOCKWOOD'S SALE ROOM.

SKEETS

Morte

It would appear that some of these are yours ...

George Henry MORTE Vict. Sheaf House Hotel 329 Bramall Lane Kelly's 1893

George Henry MORTE Proprietor, Athletic Sports & Running Ground 329 Bramall Lane Kelly's 1893

George H. MORTE Vict. Mail Coach 149 & 151 West Street White's 1911

Mrs. Mary Ann MORTE 62 Alderson Road White's 1911

Mrs Mary A MORTE Vict. Mail Coach 149 & 151 West Street White's 1919

Mrs Mary A MORTE Vict. Mail Coach 149 & 151 West Street Kelly's 1925

Theophilus MORTE Colliery manager Thorpe Hesley Kelly's 1893

Arnold Leslie MORTE Bank clerk 78 Roach Road Kelly's 1925

Vernon MORTE Light haulage contractor 30 Highfield Place Kelly's 1925

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

and no, I'm not related !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy, Welcome, keep us posted etc :rolleyes:

Guest Ric

I DID SOME WORK FOR A MR MORT ARCHITECT/ OFFICE ACROSS FROM EADON /LOCKWOOD'S SALE ROOM.

SKEETS

Hi, Thanks for your note.

Can you remember the name of the Architect's Practice?

Thanks,

Ric

Guest Ric

Morte

It would appear that some of these are yours ...

George Henry MORTE Vict. Sheaf House Hotel 329 Bramall Lane Kelly's 1893

George Henry MORTE Proprietor, Athletic Sports & Running Ground 329 Bramall Lane Kelly's 1893

George H. MORTE Vict. Mail Coach 149 & 151 West Street White's 1911

Mrs. Mary Ann MORTE 62 Alderson Road White's 1911

Theophilus MORTE Colliery manager Thorpe Hesley Kelly's 1893

Arnold Leslie MORTE Bank clerk 78 Roach Road Kelly's 1925

Vernon MORTE Light haulage contractor 30 Highfield Place Kelly's 1925

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

Hi Richard and many thanks for your help.

I take it the references to "Vict." are Victualer? So, apart from my believing that the family were mostly from the mining areas, it looks like some were landlords. That's interesting because my Uncle used to be the Landlord of the "Forester's Inn" opposite the old Fire Station on Division Street. Later he and his son became the owners of Porter Prints and, later, Porter Coins, the first shop on Ecclesall Road, the latter on Pinstone Street.

Can you tell me please are Kelly's and White's both references to trade directories? Are they available online?

Thanks,

Ric

Hi Richard and many thanks for your help.

I take it the references to "Vict." are Victualer? So, apart from my believing that the family were mostly from the mining areas, it looks like some were landlords. That's interesting because my Uncle used to be the Landlord of the "Forester's Inn" opposite the old Fire Station on Division Street. Later he and his son became the owners of Porter Prints and, later, Porter Coins, the first shop on Ecclesall Road, the latter on Pinstone Street.

Can you tell me please are Kelly's and White's both references to trade directories? Are they available online?

Thanks,

Ric

Vict. is Victualler yes.

If you have any evidence of the dates your Uncle had the Forester's, we can add his name to the register.

For Trade Directories, try here :

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/

sure other people might add other sources. I'm currently attempting to print out Directories cuz searching on CD drives me nuts.

13th July 1894

George Henry Morte is indicted at Quarter Sessions for allowing betting at Sheaf House Grounds; jury unable to agree.

seven men, for using the grounds for betting, are each fined 40s.

and again ...

Mr G. H. Morte, landlord of the Sheaf House Grounds, is fined £10, for allowing betting at the Easter Handicap.

18th October 1894.

Hi Richard,

Can you tell me the sources for poor old GH's brush with the law???

Some further corroboration for you:

you said: "George H. MORTE Vict. Mail Coach 149 & 151 West Street White's 1911" in an earlier post. That's interesting because my Grandfather, Vernon Algernon Morte (b. 1887) is given as residing at 149 West Steet Sheffield on his marriage certificate to Bertha Truswell. His father, George Henry Morte, is given as a publican of the same address. Date of the entry is 25 Sep 1915.

Regards,

Ric

PS: Still no word from my uncle regarding his dates at the Forrester's on Division Street.

Hi Richard,

Can you tell me the sources for poor old GH's brush with the law???

Source : Sheffield Local Register data CD

I think I bought it from from ArchiveCd Books, now closed; but available from Ireland version of ArchiveCd Books

http://www.archivecdbooks.ie/

I have today received a death cert for George Henry Mort. He'd had Pulmonary TB for 7 months prior to his death and was still registered as the Licensed Victualler at the Mail Coach Inn, 149 West Street. He died 3rd Jan 1919.

You gave:

... so it looks like his wife Mary Ann Mort (nee Wainwright) took over the business from his death in January 1919 for at least another 5 or 6 years.

Might be useful to anyone compiling a list of publicans.

Regards,

Ric

Guest Lisa Mort-Wilson

I am working on my adopted dad's family tree and hisname is Gary George Mort.

Gary George Mort...

his father = George Harrry Mort(b:nov 10 1903),

His father=George Washington Mort(b:jan 1, 1879) maried to Elizabeth Hourser(Houzer),

his father=George Washington Mort(1856-1930)-married to Margaret Mae Davis,

his father, John Mort=born in England(nor sure of year)-married to Mary McMillan

Not sure if he fits in here anywhere.

Hi Ric

i am interested in this subject as I am tracing my family. My great aunt I believe is Bertha Truswell who I think married Vernon Algernon Morte. Bertha was born 8.9.1875 in Sawbridgeworth to Marian Spencer and her husband John William Truswell and they had 14 other children 

I would be interested to see any pictures of ancestors if you have any. My great grandmother was Elizabeth Marion Truswell and I don't have any photos of her. 

You can message me on Facebook if you want 

Sally Cakebread. Denham. Bucks

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 30 January 1919.

License transfer of Mail Coach, West Street, from George Henry Morte (deceased) to Mary Ann Morte.

George Henry Morte and his wife Mary Ann, are buried at City Road Cemetery, Sheffield, grave number 9993  sec. N.

In the same grave is.......     Theophilus Joseph Hargreaves Morte, (retired Manager aged 58yrs), Died at The Cecil Battie Arms, Doncaster, buried 14 Feb 1936.

Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.  Grave No. 47, sec. N.

William Henry Morte (son of G.H. Morte aged 2). Died at Sheaf House, bur 27 July 1894.

Ethel Gertrude Morte (dau of Geo. Hy. Morte aged 3 months.  Died at Woodbine Road,  buried 28 Jan 1876.

There was an inquest into the death of Ethel Gertrude and is in the newspapers.

On 29/08/2017 at 16:01, Sally Cakebread said:

Hi Ric

i am interested in this subject as I am tracing my family. My great aunt I believe is Bertha Truswell who I think married Vernon Algernon Morte. Bertha was born 8.9.1875 in Sawbridgeworth to Marian Spencer and her husband John William Truswell and they had 14 other children 

I would be interested to see any pictures of ancestors if you have any. My great grandmother was Elizabeth Marion Truswell and I don't have any photos of her. 

You can message me on Facebook if you want 

Sally Cakebread. Denham. Bucks

Although I can't be of any help with the Mort(e) family name, I found some stuff on Truswell. 

I'm sure you've already seen the content on the Sawbridgeworth Cricket Club, which actually has a picture of a John William Truswell and some background info. It seems he was a pharmacist in the town and a prominent local figure with the church and other community duties, but after coming into a huge inheritance, returned to the village of his birth, Farnsfield in Nottinghamshire, just east of Mansfield. A quick search on the family name there uncovers more references to the Truswell name, connections with cricket, the church and more photographs.

Family history stuff is great and one could get lost in following trail after trail, for hours and hours. Good luck!

The architect was my Great Uncle, Ralph Mort. He died in 1998 aged 88. If you would like to know about this thread of the family who originated in Manchester, I have all the family photos taking in four generations. My Mother was a Mort.

Vernon Morte, who was not a relative was the Father of Rosemary and David. As a child, I knew them well. Their Father, Vernon, became Landlord of The Foresters on Division Street in the late fifties. In the early fifties Vernon Morte used to take Rosemary, David and me to Darnall Swimming Baths very early on a Saturday morning.

If I can be of any more help, please let me know.