BBC - Play for Today ?

There is no F, I decided instead to actually name student F on the photo, it is actually, well, err, me

H is Malcolm Flude. he had come from Norfolk like me but being a year old had moved up a year earlier. Malcolm lived on the Park Hill Flats, sadly he died in the year 2000 aged only 45.

It seems that "Big Mal" did appear in the film as well.

Here he is behind and to the left of the girl in the white dress

HANG ON A MINUTE!!!!!!

That other guy second from the right looks like ME

(Compare with form photo of me in previous posts), Stuart, what do you think?

Now I'm sure I never volunteered to be an extra on the filming days as I have previously stated, BUT a lot of the "rent a crowd" scenes of Ashleigh students changing between lessons, going to the hall, in the playground, in the dinner queue etc, were filmed "in situ" on other days with anybody and everybody in the shot, so it could well be me.

If it is me then what a suprise, I was on TV 39 years ago and knew nothing about it until now.

HANG ON A MINUTE!!!!!!

That other guy second from the right looks like ME

(Compare with form photo of me in previous posts), Stuart, what do you think?

Now I'm sure I never volunteered to be an extra on the filming days as I have previously stated, BUT a lot of the "rent a crowd" scenes of Ashleigh students changing between lessons, going to the hall, in the playground, in the dinner queue etc, were filmed "in situ" on other days with anybody and everybody in the shot, so it could well be me.

If it is me then what a suprise, I was on TV 39 years ago and knew nothing about it until now.

Just watching this film again for the first time in nearly 40 years has brought back so many memories and reminded me of so many old friends, many not seen for the best part of 40 years that I have spent a couple of hours today making my own DVD version of it so I can watch it on TV whenever I want.

Many thanks to markbaby for making it available.

I only wish I could find a copy of the promotional film for "The S.T.E.P. Scheme" (School Traffic Educational Programme) which was made at Gleadless Valley School in the 70's and was shown to other schools as an introduction for the scheme.

(I only want to see it 'cos I'm in it lol )

I only wish I could find a copy of the promotional film for "The S.T.E.P. Scheme" (School Traffic Educational Programme) which was made at Gleadless Valley School in the 70's and was shown to other schools as an introduction for the scheme.

The school I teach at used to participate in the STEP scheme in the late 70's and early 80's.

The motorbikes (or rather, mopeds) were provided under a sponsorship deal for the project by a local motorcycle dealer and fortunately the school has a good, large car park / bus park, marked out into lanes, roadways and driveways to allow the participating lads to drive around and practice their safe motorcycling skills in a very safe environment.

Further to this when my brother (but not me) bought his first motorcycle from Richardsons in 1979 the bike was delivered for him to All Saints RC school on Granville Road on a Saturday morning where he could collect it and participate in a couple of hours of basic motorcycle training before going out on the roads for the first time. The training was very similar to the STEP programme and was of course an excellent way to get a safe start to handling what can be potentially a very dangerous activity.

Guest transit

Remember this , however i could not "enroll" as it was after school hours and i had 2 buses to catch to get home as it were!

IIRC , it started early 78 , as i left in May , but can deffo remember . Didnt know a film existed .

I remember the course run by Mr Martin ( also a "Special" PC at the Lane ) and the training took part in the tennis courts behind the mobiles !

Guest shullie

oOOOOo I was there and in the choir, and appeared on TV. we got paid £15 for being extras- which seemed like a fortune then - mine was spent at Harrintons in Castle Market on a Blue Travia [sp?] suit!! - A girls one - very Mod!

The play was shown again in early '76 - to my embarassment and many friends raucaous laughter

Just looked at it, and I am the sad morsose face at 36.44 - OH says nothing much's changed!

oOOOOo I was there and in the choir, and appeared on TV. we got paid £15 for being extras- which seemed like a fortune then - mine was spent at Harrintons in Castle Market on a Blue Travia [sp?] suit!! - A girls one - very Mod!

The play was shown again in early '76 - to my embarassment and many friends raucaous laughter

Just looked at it, and I am the sad morsose face at 36.44 - OH says nothing much's changed!

You were lucky shullie,

I didn't even know I was in it until 2 days ago and I got paid nowt.

A lot of my friends (the ones I have picked out in previous captured frames from the film) were "proper extras" like yourself and not just "rent a crowd" extras like me but none of them ever said anything about being paid.

If I had known there was £15 in it courtesy of the BBC I would have volunteered properly as an extra.

£15 at 1973 prices, that would have been a tidy sum. In my first job between school and university in 1974 that was a weeks wages.

I am the sad morsose face at 36.44

I think your timing may be a bit out there shullie

At 36:44 the song ends and the camera cuts back to thes two on the stage.

Guest shullie

Must be 36.43 then -just before it goes back to the mayor .

have managed to grab a screen print of myself.. wait for it....

bother how do I upload a image from my hard drive?

It was my weeks wages come 1977 - in Sheffield that was ...so I jumped a train/moved 'darn sarf' and earned a fourtune - £40 a week - my friends thought I was rolling in it ;)

have managed to grab a screen print of myself.. wait for it....

bother how do I upload a image from my hard drive?

Follow Steve's instructions

1/ More Reply Options

2/ Choose File/s

It's not as obvious as it used to be because you need the "More Reply Options" first to get the picture uploader, before all the options were there in front of you.

It was my weeks wages come 1977 - in Sheffield that was ...so I jumped a train/moved 'darn sarf' and earned a fourtune - £40 a week - my friends thought I was rolling in it ;)

It may have looked a fortune up here,

..but when you have to pay "southern prices" then you realise why "southern wages" have to be so high.

The Government want to abolish National pay scales for teachers and make them regional.

Well, regardless of this, in all the years I have been teaching they have always paid a "London weighting" to teachers working in London.

The weighting looks very generous as a monetary sum, but when you realise how much extra it really costs you to live there it perhaps isn't that generous at all.

Guest Tony Marples

A bit late on ghis post, but some names on the class photo: steve buckley, robert davenport, ? Radford, david cooper, dave mc illvenna, andy brown. I know most of the guys there, but cant get the name neutons to fire!

Welcome to Sheffield History Tony, I still remember being at Ashleigh in the 6th form with you, - and haven't seen or heard from you since we left. Hope you are keeping well.

Enjoy the pictures of the old school and the video of the play for today "Speech Day" which you are in

Nice to come across someone I remember again.