On The Manor

Guest transit

Can anyone remember the late eighties programmes which featured what life was like living "On The Manor". I think it was shown weekly. for six weeks , each programme was 30 mins. Is there a dvd available?

I remember this series, very much doubt it was every / will ever be released. Best I think we can hope far is that The BBC releases some material on the Net as it promised a few years ago.

Guest brownncream

I might be able to source this on dvd - I'll ask around the people who will know

Try contacting ITN Source who deal with all the archive material for Yorkshire Television (ITV Yorkshire). If they can't help, try YTV archives in Leeds. They have made editions of Calendar available before at a cost of £14 per 30 minute show, so it may be expensive.

What a find!! Well done. lol It makes very interesting watching. Had forgotten how orange was so popular back then - one of the women in her kitchen even has trousers to match her work units.

Its got a very eerie quality to it and is quite sad, particularly to those who, many moons ago (in the 60's) lived there. Back then it was a totally different place. Its a pity they did not show the school - Standhouse - though maybe it was in some other footage if it ran for a number of weeks???? Anyone remember the school or have pics of it? :unsure:

Guest wayneybabes

What a find!! Well done. lol It makes very interesting watching. Had forgotten how orange was so popular back then - one of the women in her kitchen even has trousers to match her work units.

yeah i noticed the trousers lol

lovely kitchen too :o

i'm going to download these and put on a DVD

Wow, I got real excited when I saw The Manor videos on U Tube but my download speed is too slow to view the whole video in one go so I thought I would open an account and do what you suggested, but one of the conditions of opening an account says that uploading material you do not own is against the law and a breach of copyright etc etc and your account will be terminated. So, my question is, Wayneybabe, is uploading the same as downloading? In other words can we copy stuff and make a DVD legally?

Guest wayneybabes

Wow, I got real excited when I saw The Manor videos on U Tube but my download speed is too slow to view the whole video in one go so I thought I would open an account and do what you suggested, but one of the conditions of opening an account says that uploading material you do not own is against the law and a breach of copyright etc etc and your account will be terminated. So, my question is, Wayneybabe, is uploading the same as downloading? In other words can we copy stuff and make a DVD legally?

I presume it would be ok so long as it is for personal use.

Anyone on here know how we stand on this?

for now, I have downloaded them all onto my pc and will watch all nine clips in a playlist through media player

I presume it would be ok so long as it is for personal use.

Anyone on here know how we stand on this?

for now, I have downloaded them all onto my pc and will watch all nine clips in a playlist through media player

Yes wayneybabes and THYLACINE,

the less that's said the better.

But make sure you don't answer a knock on the the door or let any strange men into the house while your watching it ..

and keep the DVD under the matteress when not in use.

Just a joke .. lol

Guest wayneybabes

found out yesterday that the old fella in the programme, Mr Ismay, was the grandfather of a friend of mine who i speak to on the tram. she also has a copy of 'on the manor' on video

found out yesterday that the old fella in the programme, Mr Ismay, was the grandfather of a friend of mine who i speak to on the tram. she also has a copy of 'on the manor' on video

So for copyright purposes,-

Is the video a professionally made, purchased copy or was it recorded from the TV when the series was originally shown?

I can't really see the difference between recording a programme from the telly onto video tape, or a DVD as it would be now and downloading from the Internet and putting it on a DVD

In both cases you personally do not own the copyright and in both cases the "intellectual property" (ie the actual programme) has cost you nothing. The only cost is that of the blank recordable media, a small amount of electricity charged to your bill and a very small proprtion of the cost of the recording equipment.

In both cases you finish up with a copy of something you would like to see.

Now if you were to make multiple copies and start selling them for profit or to charge people to come and watch your copy I can see a problem with that.

But just to watch your own copy for "private, personal use"

Like most legal stuff the laws on copyright must be deliberately over complex and difficult so that some lawyer can charge extortionate daylight robber fees to sort out such matters lol

Guest wayneybabes

So for copyright purposes,-

Is the video a professionally made, purchased copy or was it recorded from the TV when the series was originally shown?

I can't really see the difference between recording a programme from the telly onto video tape, or a DVD as it would be now and downloading from the Internet and putting it on a DVD

In both cases you personally do not own the copyright and in both cases the "intellectual property" (ie the actual programme) has cost you nothing. The only cost is that of the blank recordable media, a small amount of electricity charged to your bill and a very small proprtion of the cost of the recording equipment.

In both cases you finish up with a copy of something you would like to see.

Now if you were to make multiple copies and start selling them for profit or to charge people to come and watch your copy I can see a problem with that.

But just to watch your own copy for "private, personal use"

Like most legal stuff the laws on copyright must be deliberately over complex and difficult so that some lawyer can charge extortionate daylight robber fees to sort out such matters lol

With DVD's, i was informed that if you own the DVD then you can make a 'personal back up copy' in case the original gets scratched, but if you have more than one copy and you get a visit from the old bill then they will see it as potential distibution

With DVD's, i was informed that if you own the DVD then you can make a 'personal back up copy' in case the original gets scratched, but if you have more than one copy and you get a visit from the old bill then they will see it as potential distibution

There was a time not long ago when DVD's and CD's had some form of "copy protection" to stop you making a copy of it.

Some CD's played normally in a CD player but acted totally differently on a computer, offering instead short video sequences to about 2 to 4 of the tracks and that would be all but the normal 20 audio tracks, which a CD player could access no problem were "invisible" to a computers filing system.

Still not worked out how they did that.

Guest susanweighell

i have been reading with interest some of the comments over on the manor video betty houlden was my mother and i am very proud of her and all she achieved i am bob weighell eldest son of betty and followed in her footsteps as chair of lower manor tara and interested in all of the past from attercliffe and the manor six of her nine children still live in manor area bob w