THE HORSE AND JOCKEY

Sheffield History

post-1-1171276117.jpg

THE HORSE AND JOCKEY PUB ON WADSLEY LANE, SHEFFIELD 6

post-1-1171276122.jpg

post-1-1171276105.jpg

post-1-1171276112.jpg

The Horse and Jockey was built for Tennant Brothers in the 1930s, and is a typical piece of pre war architecture.

It has recently been converted to a Hog's Head, sprouting numerous wooden barrels on its frontage. Also these days it's a very popular pub for away fans visiting Hillsborough when their team plays Sheffield Wednesday.

Guest coffee cup

I worked here in the mid 80's at weekends.

It was more popular with home football fans then, although sometimes away fans did venture in, there was never any trouble then Think it was alot to do with the fact Landlord was good.

After they left to run a pub in Rotherham, there were two more couples running it but I felt things were going down hill so I left. No doubt there have been many more Landlords since then.

After that Tommy Tynan [not sure of correct spelling] ex sheffield wed player bacame landlord, not sure how long he lasted.

He wasn't only Sheffield wed player to run a pub there was the Wadsley Jack in Wadsley Village - Jack Whitaham was a Landlord and the Rose & Crown also at Wadsley on Stout lane - Ted Catlin was the landlord there many years ago (I'd say about 35/37 years ago. Rose and Crown is just up the Road from the Wadsley Jack.

The Horse & Jockey was owned by Whitbreads then, , sadly another brewery in Sheffield that as gone.

Guest coffee cup

This place used to have an off sales window, which if you walked through the front door, directly in front of you was a window with a sliding door. I remember this because my older sister took me there onece for some crisps and ginger beer , this would have been around 1974 ish.

Having worked there long after this, as you walked through the front door, the tap room was to the left and the best room to the right. The off sales window was no longer :(:(:( .

Regulars in the pub when I worked there were ,Sheff Wed players like John Pearson and Lowrie Madden.

Hi.

There was also a Horse and Jockey Pub in Unstone near Dronfield. In the days before the by-pass was built (mid 1970's) the Nos. 11 & 12 Sheffield - Chesterfield buses went past the Horse and Jockey. As a lad I remember getting the bus and I think that the pub was known locally as the Jock and Strap? Is it still there, I've not been on the old Dronfield route to Chesterfield since they built the by-pass. The Sheepbridge Hotel on the same route has long gone as have many other small pubs in the area.

Wazzie Worrall

Hi,

Since my last posting I've had a look on Google Maps and the Horse and Jockey, Unstone is still there but not in use at the moment.

Wazzie Worrall